• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rockcrok 2.5 Quart: Reviews, Tips & Ideas

In summary, the Rockcrok 2.5 quart is a lightweight, but heavy-duty, pan that is perfect for small to medium-sized families. It is easy to clean and cooks quickly and evenly. The only downside is that the recipe book that comes with the pan only calls for a half a cup of bourbon, so you might use a little more than necessary.
Admin Greg
Staff member
Please discuss the Rockcrok 2.5 quart. Tips, complaints, praise, reviews, ideas, thoughts...

So has noone used this product yet?

I just decided on which products I wanted and placed a sample order yesterday. I debated a long time on which size to get and decided to try the small one first since there are 5 in our family and it seemed like the recipes on CC (S'mores Cake and Pineapple Upside Down Cake) would be good to do in the smaller one. Plus, I have that weird under-the-gas-stove broiler we talked about on another thread so I'm really hoping I can use the broiler part of my toaster oven with the smaller Rockcrok.Now that I made the decision, I can't wait to get it and start trying some recipes in it! I'll post as soon as I do.Shari in TX

Just measured it and the tallest part of the 2.5 qt. RockCroc is just shy of 3 and a quarter inches. Maybe this will tell you whether you'll be able to use it.

Mine came yesterday and we made the S'Mores cake. It worked out perfectly and was done in probably under 10 minutes. The cake was really moist and the marshmallows looked like perfect campfire ones under the broiler. I would use that as a show recipe. It was impressive.
Going to do the Shepard's Pie brisket tomorrow. That takes over 3 hours and has multiple steps, but I'm anxious to see how it performs in the microwave, stovetop, oven and broiler in this recipe.
The use and care scared me a little- it seemed "finicky", but I think once I get used to it, it'll be easy and a great piece to own, show and sell.

So the Shepard's Pie is AMAZING! I can't believe how well the RockCrock works on the stovetop to brown the brisket and then saute the onions and garlic. Made the sauce in the same pan, returned the brisket to it, and put it in the oven for 3 hours with the lid on. The meat was absolutely out of this world!!!!! Unbelievable flavor and very tender. Put the squash potato mixture on top and broiled it in the same pan.
This would make a great special recipe for family or a cold fall or winter day when you are home and want to give everyone comfort food. Very hearty and great with fresh baked bread. It makes 8 big servings.
The only things that surprised me a little were that it did barely fit into the pan and I followed the directions exactly. So it spilled over a little. The other thing is that it doesn't have a thick firm potato top like shepard's pie does- the squash makes it more runny. However, the squash adds so much more nutrition, and we decided we really liked it.
The last thing I wanted to see was how easy it would be to clean up because of the overflow and baked on sauce both on the pan and lid. Other pans that had that much baked on would take me days of soaking to clean.
BUT, it was SO easy! Just ran it under warm water once it cooled, brushed everything off easily, and put it in the dishwasher.
I think I'm really going to like this pan!!
I liked the video where they talked about building the flavors and I think that really is the difference in the varied cooking methods. Also, the only two things I used besides gadgets were the Everyday Pan and the Classic Batter Bowl. A LOT less to clean up!!!!

My samples order came today! I love Christmas in August! :)

I immediately opened my RockCrok, looked at all the recipes, went to the store for chicken and made one of them for dinner. I hadn't seen anyone list the recipes that come with each RockCrok so I thought I would list them here:

• Glazed Asian Pork Ribs
  • Shrimp & Chorizo Paella
  • Citrus Glazed Salmon Salad
  • Baked Mac 'N Cheese with Shrimp
  • Mediterranean Braised Chicken
  • Roasted Cauliflower & Brie Risotto
  • Bourbon-Soaked Spoon Cake
  • Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
  • Brisket Shepherd's Pie
  • BBQ Oven-Baked Chicken

The last one is the one I made tonight. My family loved it -- even my son who isn't wild about BBQ sauce. First the pros: I was impressed with how quickly the butter melted and the onion and apple sautéed over just medium heat on my stove. I love the lightweight, but heavy-duty lid. The pan did fit in my toaster oven with enough space to be 2-4 inches from the broiler so I was able to finish it in the broiler the way the recipe said. The pan and lid cleaned like a breeze even with baked-on BBQ sauce. I didn't even have to put it in the dishwasher because there was nothing left to wash after I rinsed it out.

The only con was the chicken didn't cook as fast on the stove, in the oven or under the broiler as the recipe said. Not sure where I went wrong, but dinner was late because of it. The chicken was super moist and delicious when it finally got done. I guess I'll just have to play with the times a little bit.

Overall, I'm really excited to keep using it. I don't see it as a product that people who want to get in and out of the kitchen fast will necessarily be excited about. But I think people who enjoy cooking are going to love trying the new recipes and being able to move it from cooking surface to cooking surface. I can't wait to try the Risotto -- it starts on the stovetop cooking the cauliflower, but the rice itself cooks in the microwave. How cool is that?!

Shari in TX

I made the Pineapple Upside Down Cake, which came out moist and delicious. It would make a good show recipe. The BBQ Chicken came out good, too. It will be a repeat meal.I'm excited about the Rockcrock and I hope my enthusiasm will translate into sales. A big selling feature is it's versatility, and it can go in the DISHWASHER. I hear so many complaints about the DCB not being dishwasher safe, nor it can't be used on top the stove.

I have made the Baked Mac n Cheese with Shrimp and the S'more Cake in it. I love the versatility of stovetop to microwave to broiler etc. It is easy to clean up as well. The mac n cheese was baked on, but it was not hard to clean at all. I am looking forward to using it more.

I made two more of the recipes from the cards this week. I made the Mediterranean Braised Chicken on Monday. It's a recipe that starts by browning chicken thighs on the stove top, taking them out, browning shallots and cloves and deglazing the pan with wine. Then adding chicken stock and putting the thighs back in. From there, they go into the microwave to finish cooking. Top with a mixture of tomatoes, artichokes, olives and parsley and sprinkle on feta before putting under the broiler.My kids loved the broiled feta on top (I just used regular because I didn't realize it called for tomato & basil feta). They found the chicken hard to eat. They are used to boneless, skinless chicken breasts and trying to get the skin off the meat and the meat off the bone proved a challenge. But the flavors were really great. I served it over orzo as suggested and it made plenty of food for my family of 5.On Wednesday, I made the Baked Mac 'N Cheese with Shrimp. We don't eat shrimp so I substituted the dark meat chicken from the rest of the thighs I didn't use on Monday -- just cut the meat off and cooked it. That's the only substitution I made.This recipe has you cook the shrimp in butter on the stovetop, add some sherry and remove from the pan. Then you make a roux of butter and flour, add milk, mustard and cayenne and bring to a simmer. That took a lot longer than I think it should have, but it made a lovely sauce. Add white cheddar and fontina cheeses along with dry rigatoni pasta, cover and put in the oven. I did use a little less cayenne than called for because I'm a wimp and just a little more pasta -- I didn't think 8 oz of pasta would be enough so I used more like 10 or 11. After stirring halfway through, the pasta was done in 30 minutes. I put in the chicken and some more sherry as directed, topped it with a panko/cheese/parsley mixture and put it under the broiler.The whole thing turned out exactly like the picture except for the shrimp part and the taste was totally amazing. Honestly, I thought it would be fine, but not great. I was totally wrong. The cheeses were sharp, but mild, the cayenne gave it a kick, the topping was crispy and the sherry added something I can't describe. I did have one kid think it would be better without the chicken and one who still likes the baked mac 'n' cheese I usually make better. But everyone else was so impressed. I served it with a side of stir-fried mushrooms, shallots and asparagus and was worried there wouldn't be enough food for everyone since we also had a guest that night. It served all 6 of us plenty of food and there was a serving leftover for my husband for lunch the next day.I will definitely make this again -- maybe without meat, I'm not sure. I will also be putting sharp white cheddar in my other mac 'n' cheese recipe because I loved the flavor. Oh, and the best thing, even with stuck on cheese sauce, the pan cleaned up in no time flat. I didn't need to put it in the dishwasher because it came completely clean with just a little soap and water.Next on my list to try are the Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts and Roasted Cauliflower & Brie Risotto. And I still haven't tried any desserts. I'm not entirely sure if I have a market for this product because so many of my customers don't like to cook or don't have time to spend in the kitchen, but it is definitely an amazing product and I'm enjoying figuring out what it can do. I am still trying to figure out what I can do with it that's not the recipes that came with it or ones that are on the website. I feel like it needs the versatility of being able to use it for everyday recipes too before I can truly sell it well.Hope my reviews are helpful. :)Shari in TXp.s. I'm using the broiler portion of my Toaster Oven since I have a gas stove with the broiler on the very bottom which I don't think works great. The toaster oven broiler is working just fine!

Thanks for the review of those recipes, Shari! We are dying to make the Baked Mac N Cheese with shrimp, but, I too wanted to sub in chicken (due to the $ of shrimp), so I am glad to hear it turned out.Post again when you have made the Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts and Roasted Cauliflower & Brie Risotto - as those look really good and I am interested in hearing about those!

Where is the pineapple upside down cake recipe?

Never mind...I found it on Consultants' Corner.

1. What are the dimensions of the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart?

The Rockcrok 2.5 Quart measures 9.5 inches in diameter and 4.5 inches in height.

2. Can the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart be used on the stovetop?

Yes, the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart is designed to be used on the stovetop, including gas, electric, and induction stovetops.

3. Is the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart oven safe?

Yes, the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart is oven safe up to 752°F (400°C).

4. How do I clean the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart?

The Rockcrok 2.5 Quart is dishwasher safe, but it is recommended to wash it by hand with warm soapy water to prolong its lifespan.

5. Can the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart be used in the microwave?

Yes, the Rockcrok 2.5 Quart is microwave safe, but it is recommended to use it in short intervals and stir the contents in between to prevent overheating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Luvz2cook4u
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Admin Greg