• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rock Crok Vs. Flameware: The Ultimate Comparison for Your Kitchen Needs

In summary, Test Kitchens told Amanda that their RockCrok was better than the RockCrok from Longaberger and less expensive. Test Kitchens also said that their RockCrok had a glass lid which was great, that it could not go in the microwave or on the grill, that it had a 90 day return policy, and that it was dishwasher safe. Test Kitchens said that their Silicone baking mat was better than the Silpat and that the markings/template were nice. Test Kitchens said that their RockCrok would not fit under a gas broiler, and that I have never heard of a gas broiler not being in the oven.
babywings76
Gold Member
Okay, so as soon as they revealed the Rock Crok I thought, wait a minute...Longaberger already has this! I was getting nervous about all the claims that this was exclusive and we were the 1st to come out with this cutting edge technology. So I got home and e-mailed the Test Kitchens. Later that day someone from Test Kitchens called me! She said that way she could address all my concerns at one time instead of back and forth e-mailing. I was very impressed that she'd take the time to do that. So anyway, this is what she told me:They did look into other things that are on the market, including Longeberger's Flameware. The Flameware has the glaze that we were shown in the video at the Fall Seasonings meeting, it's the kind of glaze that has micro cracks. People have to season it before use, whereas ours is ready to go right out of the box. If people don't season Longeberger's flameware correctly, it can leak. It also can retain odors and be difficult to clean. It also only has a 90 day return policy, where ours comes with a 5 year guarantee. Also, ours has a glass lid which is great so you can see what's going on with your food. Otherwise, people tend to lift the lid a lot to see what's going on, which ends up decreasing the heat level and making things take longer to cook. Ours is also less expensive.I asked her if they looked at Le Creuset to try to compare and she said yes. Le Creuset is different though, because it's enamel coated cast iron, but it's heavy & the lids aren't clear glass like ours. Le Creuset can't go in the microwave or on the grill.Ours really is the best out there! While I had her on the phone, I asked her how our new Silicone baking mat compares to Silpat. She said ours is reversible and dishwasher safe (silpat is hand wash only) and the markings/template really are nice for people...now anyone can cook. (Kids, husbands, others who just don't quite know how to space things correctly.) Also, ours can roll up nicely for storage and it will unroll and lay flat...she said she couldn't really say the same for silpat.So, that's the scoop!ETA: Just wanted to add that I'm sharing this in a consultant to consultant sort of way. I wouldn't bring this up at a show unless someone said something or tried to compare it to Longeberger or something. I wouldn't put down another company at a show (what if someone there loves Longeberger or knows of or is a consultant!). I'd be careful with my word choices. I posted further down this thread that HO now put out a great Q&A sheet and other things to help us be informed on the Rockcrok and they have things perfectly worded that would be fine to say at a show.

Last edited:
Amanda,Thanks so much for sharing this information! Great stuff to know.:thumbup:

Thanks for the info Amanda!I am super excited about the RockCrok - and had even thought about the Flameware from Longaberger many times but never went through with it. Theirs is a higher price point (if I recall). I have also always wanted a Dutch Oven - but, again, never followed through. I am SO glad I waited. Also, I was on the fence about the Baking mat since I already have a silpat. And, yes, the drawback is that I cannot put the silpat in the dishwasher. So, I am VERY happy to see that ours is dishwasher safe. I will have to get one now!

At our meeting they said you have to season the Flameware with milk, which is a problem for people with dairy allergies. I'm thinking the Rockcrok will be a good vessel for not contaminating whereas celiac people shy away from our stones even though we clean them.

We clean them, yes, but since they are pourous the contaminants get in there anyway. That is why I also will never bake cookies for my nephew on a stone.

I am wondering if either of them would fit under my broiler. It is gas and not in my oven like people with electric stoves. If it won't fit in my broiler, it might not fit in my host's broiler either.

Last edited:
I have a gas stove and the oven/broiler is just like an electric one would be. I can't picture yours? I never heard of a broiler not being in the oven. Is it a separate appliance? Sounds useless if even the smaller rockcrok wouldn't fit under it.

Thanks for sharing!

And I have never heard of a gas broiler being anywhere but where mine is (in the pull out drawer many people use to put stuff.) Sure it's at least a decade old but its predecessor is the same way. It has a custom built broiler pan. I don't have the item so I don't know if it's too deep. I know for a fact my DCB would not fit under there and am not sure what else is a similar size. Pie plate? I have a feeling it would be too wide.Either way, a lot of money to spend on the off chance I might be able to use it at shows.

(Oops, duplicate. I'd delete if I could.)

It can be used in other places besides the broiler though remember...stove top, microwave, regular oven....:)

Not all gas stoves have their broilers in the bottom. I have an aunt whose broiler is in the oven like an electric. Just depends on the stove.

That's true but I had never heard that until today.Just like a Deep Covered Baker (I know it fits in my microwave, but not necessarily my host's microwave) I think we need to be prepared for this issue when we plan recipes for shows. There is a possibility that the broiler may be too small to accommodate it.

I have never seen a broiler anywhere but the oven and I grew up with gas stoves and have always owned them - and I'm old. I hate electric ones. Just shows that different areas have different things (I grew up in WI and then lived in NC for 15 years so those are the areas I lived/shopped for such things). The bottom section was always for storing. On my current one the bottom drawer is a warming oven. I do store a couple flat stones in it with no ill effects. Like intrepid_chef, I never heard of the other kind until this conversation.

Wouldnt the 2.5 qt Rockcroc be able to work even in a smaller drawer broiler like you are talking about? Side note though...having a broiler that close to the food would seem sort of risky to me. I have had grease fires in a regular oven before when using a broiler and the food was mid to lower half of the oven.....grease squirted the burner and I about lost an eyebrow! Certainly would have to be selective witha drawer style. :D

I also have a gas stove with the broiler as a pull-out drawer at the very bottom so I never use it. So I was wondering about broiling in my large Toaster Oven. I just looked in the catalog and it says both RockCroks are 9" in diameter. I know I can fit a 12" diameter pizza pan in my Toaster Oven because it came with it. So, if the RockCroks aren't too tall, that might be an option for me. I saw the small one and it seemed like it would fit, but the Dutch Oven may be too tall for me to make that one work.Just another option to consider for the broiling part.Shari in TX

Just thought I'd update....did you all see the latest NewsWire (Aug. 13th)? Here's what it says:

NOTICESRockcrok™ Resources Now Available on Consultant's CornerExcited about the new Rockcrok™? So are we! We've put together a slew of online resources to help you learn about this revolutionary new product. Check them out on the Product Training webpage on Consultant's Corner. Here's what you'll find:
Rockcrok™ Product FAQ
Rockcrok™ Recipe FAQ
Rockcrok™ Recipe Flyer
Rockcrok™ Cheesy Shells & Italian Sausage Recipe
S'more Cake Demo Video
Quick Upside-Down Pineapple Cake Demo Video
Don't forget to check out the Fall Product Guide for even more info!
I went and checked them all out. Great info! And they put together these points mentioned in my original post, but in a much nicer way to present at a show should people ask about things.

Intrepid_Chef said:
We clean them, yes, but since they are pourous the contaminants get in there anyway. That is why I also will never bake cookies for my nephew on a stone.I am wondering if either of them would fit under my broiler. It is gas and not in my oven like people with electric stoves. If it won't fit in my broiler, it might not fit in my host's broiler either.
Actually the stoneware is NON-porous. The issue is that contaminants can stick to the "seasoning"

ivykeep said:
Actually the stoneware is NON-porous. The issue is that contaminants can stick to the "seasoning"
Thank you, Laura. I didn't want to type this out. :D

Do you think a person could do the pull apart breads in the rock crok and not have them stick ? I always use my skillet but was thinking about trying it in the rock crok.

I just bought Rock croc, I love making bread in it but when I try and cook something on stove top everything sticks to bottom 10020,What am I doing wrong?

Crickiejune said:
I just bought Rock croc, I love making bread in it but when I try and cook something on stove top everything sticks to bottom 10020,What am I doing wrong?
You might be cooking on too high of heat. I do notice that I need to stir a little more frequently with the RockCrok, but I've never had any bad sticking.

What is the difference between Rock Crok and Flameware?

The main difference between Rock Crok and Flameware is the material they are made of. Rock Crok is made of stoneware, which is a durable and non-porous material that can withstand high temperatures. Flameware is made of clay and is specifically designed for stovetop cooking.

Can I use Rock Crok on the stovetop?

Yes, Rock Crok can be used on the stovetop. In fact, it is versatile and can be used in the oven, microwave, and on the stovetop. It is great for cooking a variety of dishes such as casseroles, roasts, and even baking bread.

Is Flameware safe to use in the oven?

Yes, Flameware is safe to use in the oven. It is designed to withstand high temperatures and can be used for baking, roasting, and broiling. However, it is not recommended to use it on the stovetop as it may crack or break.

Do I need to season Rock Crok before using it?

No, Rock Crok does not require seasoning before using it. It is made of stoneware, which is naturally non-stick. However, it is recommended to lightly grease the surface before cooking to prevent food from sticking.

Can I use metal utensils with Flameware?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils with Flameware as it may scratch or damage the surface. It is best to use wooden or silicone utensils to preserve the quality of the cookware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • mamadugan
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • TWhipple