• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Roasting Pan + Rack + Oven Bag?

In summary, when roasting a turkey, you can either put it in a roasting bag or put it on a rack. The advantage of putting it in a bag is that it cooks faster and there is no need for basting. The disadvantage is that the bird can't be turned.
chefmelody
OK, I'm roasting a turkey this afternoon, and I'm going to be using the big roasting pan and an oven bag. My question is, should I put the rack in the bag with the turkey, or put the turkey & bag on top of the rack?

I want to be able to lift the turkey out and leave the juices in the pan, which I do by cutting the oven bag open once it's done.

I put the turkey in the bag on the rack.

Me too. That way you can turn the turkey.

cmdtrgd said:
Me too. That way you can turn the turkey.

Turn the turkey? I've never done that, what's the advantage of it? And do you mean just turn it around, or turn it over?

Why use the roasting bag?

Robin

priscilla said:
Why use the roasting bag?
Cooks faster, no need for basting, and keeps the eye-stinging turkey smell in. :pAlso discovered that the rack won't fit in the bag anyway, so my original question is moot!

Oh yes...Turning over the bird. You start the bird "upside down" so to speak. This browns the bottom of the bird and crisps up that skins so it does not absorb as much of the grease at it could.
When I did my thanksgiving bird, I brined it first. 20 pound bird, 3 gallons of water, 3 cups of salt. Let it sit 12 hours.
Place the bird "up-side" down on the rack and place in a 450 degree oven for 1 hour. Turn it over. Turn down the oven to 350 and cook for approxiamtely 2 more hours. Everyone said it was really good and my family won't lie if it ain't! That are not that way! (You could not get a compliment out of them if you put a boozka to their heads if it isn't warranted!) If you bine, there is also no need to baste. Stuff the bird with arromatics such as cerlery carrot onion, tyme and rosemary. Place more veggies on the bottom of the pan. I put the rack in first then place veggies so the rack sits in the pan properly. With that pan, clean up is still a breeze so I never need a bag.

We always use the roasting bag too - never turn the turkey - and it always comes out delicious!

I use the bag.. breast-side down.. no turning... digital thermometer.

Inside a bag you won't have the crispy skin, so no need to worry about turning it. The bags help to make a really moist turkey! Enjoy it!

ETA: I have brined my turkey in the past, and I do have to admit...it was even better than in the bag! (Just so you know if you want to try it sometime!) Plus you get the crispy skin too!

1. How do I properly use the roasting pan, rack, and oven bag together?

To use the roasting pan, rack, and oven bag together, first preheat your oven according to the recipe instructions. Then, place the oven bag in the roasting pan and add your desired ingredients. Place the rack on top of the bag and secure it in place. Finally, place the roasting pan in the oven and cook according to the recipe instructions.

2. Can I reuse the oven bag after one use?

No, the oven bag is designed for one-time use only. It is not recommended to reuse the bag as it may affect the cooking results and can potentially be a safety hazard.

3. Can I use the roasting pan and rack without the oven bag?

Yes, the roasting pan and rack can be used without the oven bag. Simply place your desired ingredients directly on the rack and follow the recipe instructions for cooking.

4. How do I clean the roasting pan and rack after use?

The roasting pan and rack should be washed with warm, soapy water after each use. If there are stubborn stains or residue, you can soak the pan and rack in warm, soapy water for a few minutes before washing. Do not use abrasive cleaners or metal utensils to clean the pan and rack as it may damage the non-stick coating.

5. Can I use the roasting pan and rack in the dishwasher?

Yes, the roasting pan and rack are dishwasher safe. However, using the dishwasher may affect the non-stick coating over time. It is recommended to hand wash the pan and rack for longer lasting use.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kitchenqueen
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Belle4562
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Belle4562
  • BeckyC5830