• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking a Turkey in a Non-Stick Roasting Pan

In summary, there is conflicting information about the best way to cook a turkey, with some recipes recommending starting at a high temperature and then lowering it, while others suggest cooking at a consistent temperature. A non-stick roasting pan may be damaged by high heat, so it is important to follow the instructions for use. However, some individuals have found success using a non-stick roasting pan for turkey. Additionally, a roasting pan can have multiple uses, such as a griddle on the stovetop. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and what works best for each individual.
babywings76
Gold Member
The recipes/ways that I've been told to cook a turkey say to cook it at 500 degrees for 20-30 minutes at first. Then you turn down the heat to 325. But if it's a non-stick roasting pan, what do you do?

This year was my first time ever (I know, it's embarrassing to confess) to cook a turkey. My mother had given me a non-stick roasting pan several years ago. It didn't say anywhere on the box or whatever that there was a limit to the temp. the oven should go to while using it. So I just went about my merry way making the turkey. The turkey turned out perfect. My gravy was terrific. But...when my mom went to wash the pan, there were tons of little specs, dots, missing of the nonstick coating. Yum, guess we got some added roughage to our gravy. :yuck: :rolleyes: I'm guessing that the high heat with the fat in the drippings caused it to come off like that.

So now I need to replace the pan and thought about ours, but ours is non-stick. Do I buy a stainless steel one, or get ours but adjust the way I cook a turkey.

Seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a pan that hardly ever gets used, ya know? :cool:

I have been making turkey for many years. I always set the oven to 325 degrees and bake the turkey about 20 minutes per pound, basting frequently.

The time would be shorter if you don't stuff the bird.

There is no need to have a special pan just for the turkey. Our roasting pan is perfect.

If you are determined to follow the instruction of starting at such a high temperature then use a disposible pan.

I agree that 325 for the entire time is perfect - our turkey turned out beautifully. And I did it in our roasting pan with an aluminum foil tent and didn't baste it at all - we let it cook while we were out finishing our shopping. And it was great to remove the turkey and then put the pan straight on the burner to make the gravy!

And as for the price of the pan, there are lots of other uses for the roasting pan besides turkey!

pcsharon1 said:
I agree that 325 for the entire time is perfect - our turkey turned out beautifully. And I did it in our roasting pan with an aluminum foil tent and didn't baste it at all - we let it cook while we were out finishing our shopping. And it was great to remove the turkey and then put the pan straight on the burner to make the gravy!

I do put foil over mine for part of the time but we love the crispy skin. Leaving it open and basting it every half hour or so makes it nice and crispy while keeping the meat moist. If you don't indulge in the skin then the foil tent is the way to go for you!

I too bake @ 325 in our roaster on the rack, but I cook it breast side down until the last 1 1/2 hours. Then I turn it breast side up using our meat forks and it turns out perfectly!! It is the most moist white meat you will ever have! Heavenly!!

I do high heat with breast side down for the first half hour and then flip it and lower the heat. Just don't go over 400 in our our roasting pan and you should be OK.

My sister made a big lasagna in the roasting pan for Xmas Eve. I sent home a nylon knife with my mom to give her because she didn't have anything to slice the lasagna with. Another use for the nylon knives...

I rarely use my roasting pan for turkey. I use it daily on the stove top as a griddle. I make toasted cheese sandwiches, French Toast, double batches of noodle dishes, etc. It gets lots of use.

lockhartkitchen said:
I rarely use my roasting pan for turkey. I use it daily on the stove top as a griddle. I make toasted cheese sandwiches, French Toast, double batches of noodle dishes, etc. It gets lots of use.

I just saw Tyler Florence on the Food Network using it on the stove top too - great idea! I haven't used it for turkey (I too have NEVER made a turkey!!!) , but my husband has made several roasted chicken in our roasting pan ...

lockhartkitchen said:

It's not awkward or cumbersome using it as a griddle?

Definitely not awkward to use as a griddle. I actually bought it for that, because the griddle didn't have high enough sides for me. I can even cook a pound of bacon in it, all at one time.

1. How do I prevent my turkey from sticking to the non-stick roasting pan?

In order to prevent your turkey from sticking to the non-stick roasting pan, it is important to properly prepare the pan before cooking. This can be done by lightly coating the pan with oil or cooking spray, or by placing a layer of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan.

2. Can I use a non-stick roasting pan for a stuffed turkey?

Yes, a non-stick roasting pan can be used for a stuffed turkey. However, it is important to make sure that the stuffing is cooked to the appropriate temperature to ensure food safety.

3. How long should I cook my turkey in a non-stick roasting pan?

The cooking time for a turkey in a non-stick roasting pan will vary depending on the size of the turkey and the oven temperature. It is important to use a meat thermometer to determine when the turkey is fully cooked, with an internal temperature of 165°F in the thickest part of the meat.

4. Can I use metal utensils in a non-stick roasting pan?

No, it is not recommended to use metal utensils in a non-stick roasting pan as they can scratch the surface and damage the non-stick coating. It is best to use wooden, silicone, or plastic utensils when cooking with a non-stick pan.

5. How do I clean a non-stick roasting pan after cooking a turkey?

To clean a non-stick roasting pan after cooking a turkey, it is best to let it cool down before washing it with warm soapy water. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers as they can damage the non-stick coating. If there are stubborn food particles stuck to the pan, let it soak in warm water before gently scrubbing with a non-metal scrubber.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BethCooks4U
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kitchenqueen
  • sklay723
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
JennLizFran
  • scottcooks