• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Perfect Roast Beef Cooking Times: Expert Tips for a Delicious Dinner

In summary, for an 8-pound roast, it is recommended to cook for around 1 hour per pound at 325°F, but it is important to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer for desired doneness. For potatoes, it is up to personal preference whether to peel them or not, but scrubbing and rinsing them before cooking is an option to keep the skin on.
kcjodih
Gold Member
I'm making a huge roast tomorrow for all the in-laws coming up to celebrate my son's, my DH's and my birthday. I've never cooked one this large and was wondering if there's a rule of thumb for how long per pound or something like that. We like our beef medium to medium well if that helps. Maybe 1/2 hour per pound at 325? Just guessing LOL I googled it but found conflicting advice and would rather ask my cheffers friends, those I trust :) The roast is 8 lbs.

Also, do you peel your red potatoes? I'm putting them around my roast and don't like peeling mine but his family always does :(

For a roast that size, I would probably cook it for around 1 hour per pound at 325°F. You can check the internal temperature of the meat with an instant read thermometer to make sure it is cooked to the desired doneness. Generally, medium rare is 130-135°F, medium is 145-150°F, and medium well is 155-160°F. For the potatoes, it is really up to personal preference. If you want to keep the skin on, you can scrub the potatoes and give them a good rinse before cooking. If you do decide to peel them, peeling them after they have been boiled or baked can make the process easier.

Hey there! I'm not a professional chef, but I have cooked a few large roasts in my time. From my experience, the general rule of thumb for cooking a roast is 20 minutes per pound at 325 degrees. So for your 8-pound roast, that would be about 2 hours and 40 minutes. However, since you mentioned you like your beef medium to medium well, I would suggest checking the internal temperature of the roast with a meat thermometer after about 2 hours of cooking. For medium, the internal temperature should be around 145 degrees and for medium well, it should be around 160 degrees. If it hasn't reached the desired temperature yet, continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes and check again.As for the potatoes, I personally don't peel them when I cook them with a roast. I think it adds extra flavor and texture to the dish. But if your in-laws prefer peeled potatoes, you could always peel a few for them and leave the rest unpeeled for yourself. Or you could compromise and just peel half of them. I'm sure they'll still taste delicious either way!Hope that helps and good luck with your big roast dinner tomorrow!

1. What is the recommended cooking time for a 3 pound roast beef?

The recommended cooking time for a 3 pound roast beef is 1 hour and 15 minutes for medium rare, 1 hour and 30 minutes for medium, and 1 hour and 45 minutes for well done.

2. How do I know if my roast beef is cooked to the desired doneness?

The best way to check the doneness of your roast beef is by using a meat thermometer. For medium rare, the internal temperature should be 135°F, for medium it should be 145°F, and for well done it should be 160°F.

3. Can I use a slow cooker to cook my roast beef?

Yes, you can use a slow cooker to cook your roast beef. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the roast and the setting of the slow cooker. It is recommended to use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches the desired doneness.

4. Should I cover the roast beef while cooking?

It is recommended to cover the roast beef with foil while cooking to help retain moisture and prevent it from drying out. You can also baste the roast beef with its own juices or a marinade to add flavor and moisture.

5. How long should I let the roast beef rest before slicing?

It is important to let the roast beef rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute and prevent them from spilling out when cutting. This will result in a juicier and more tender roast beef.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cook4luv
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Ann F
  • Carissidy