• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Prevent Cracks with the Brand New Rockcrok for Your Next Cooking Show!

In summary, a crack in the RockCrok lid caused a fire that burned the bottom of the unit. The host noticed the crack and sent the replacement unit quickly.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
So I have a big show coming up. Yesterday I decided to test the recipe in the RockCrok I have used exactly 3 times, at a friend's house where she has an electric stove.I am so glad I did because it cracked mid-recipe! It made both smoke detectors go off, and burned the bottom of the unit!I am wondering what did it so this does not happen again at the show. (Which, thank God, is in 3 weeks!)* Was I wrong to cook on "medium high" for 20 minutes (it cooked for 15 before the crack.)
* Did any grease outside the unit cause "flare up" that would cause this problemTrying to avoid this at the show!

Did you start out on low and gradually increase the temperature? Did you make sure the entire bottom of the RockCrok was covered?I know that not doing those things can be a problem.

When cooking the sausage ... I tried.When it actually happened ... I was cooking a layered lasagna where the bottom was covered with sauce and meat.I think really, we needed to start high and turn down to low.

It's possible that it had a flaw. It is, after all, stoneware. I often want to start meats on high and turn them down, but the instructions for the RockCrok specifically say to start low for a certain length of time and then increase the heat. I think it even says to increase it gradually.

I am not familiar with how electric stoves work. My friend pre-heated the burner for me ... I should have told her to turn it off. But the problem didn't arise when I was browning the meat. It happened 20 minutes later when I was cooking the lasagna.

Ah, I think I see the problem. I have a gas stove, but I'm familiar with electric stoves. The stove at our church, where I do my Freezer Dinners Done Workshops, is electric. And, no, she should not have pre-heated the burner. I know that's common, but it's a no-no with the RockCrok. My guess is that caused a crack, which continued to expand, unseen, until it finally broke. Of course, I could be completely wrong. As I've often said, my advice is worth what you pay for it.

My question is why do they have a product that tells folks to start on low and gradually increase the temp? WHO is going to do that?! We can't even get these folks to read the instructions/use & Care guides.
I can understand not putting it on a preheated burner. I never preheat my burner. I put the RC on the burner and turn it on and let it preheat. I have to admit...I don't remember seeing that about the temp in the U&C, but it's been awhile. I only use it now and then (not a favorite product).

I know a lot of people don't read instructions. I'm an inveterate instruction reader, so I don't really understand those people (not a judgment, just an observation). To me it's no different than our cookware, which says not to use it on high, even though lots of people cook on high.

I have to say they were speedy about sending the replacement. Which is good because it arrived in plenty of time for my big show. At that show, I opened it and took it out for the first time. The host immediately discovered a "scratch" or hairline crack in the lid! Off it goes to HO again ...

Drat! I know that's frustrating.

Good eye, host! Have you asked her about being a consultant?

What is the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!"?

The "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" is a versatile cooking tool from Pampered Chef that can be used on the stovetop, in the oven, and even on the grill. It is made of a durable, non-stick material that is safe for use with metal utensils.

What are the dimensions of the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!"?

The "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" has a capacity of 4 quarts and measures 9 inches in diameter and 4 inches in height.

Is the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" dishwasher safe?

Yes, the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, hand-washing is recommended to prolong the life of the product.

Can the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" be used in the microwave?

No, the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" is not safe for use in the microwave. It is made of stoneware and can crack or break if exposed to high heat.

What are some recipes that can be made with the "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!"?

The "Rip, Brand New Rockcrok!" can be used to make a variety of dishes, including soups, stews, casseroles, and even desserts. It is also great for roasting vegetables and cooking meat. Pampered Chef offers many recipes specifically designed for the Rockcrok on their website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
Replies
Views
raebates
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth