• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Failed Lava Cake: Lessons Learned in the Kitchen

In summary, the recipe did not produce the desired lava effect. The frosting cooked right into the cake. Next time, the author suggests putting the frosting in first and then topping with cake mixture to ensure frosting is on top.
BettieC
Gold Member
Ok, I made this the other day for home. I followed the recipe cooked it for 10 minutes, and I didn't get the lava effect.

Although yummy, it seemed the frosting cooked right into the cake....lol

Was the center a wet mess? Back when this recipe was first being used (Fall 2005 or 2006), we experimented with putting scoops of the chocolate frosting in the wet batter.
We finally decided that once the cake was "baked" in the microwave, it was better to
put the three to four scoops of frosting on the warm cake and let it oooze over the sides
and maybe puddle on the platter, or scoop it back up and make the top frosting thicker with the side frosting just createing nice fingers down the side.

Be sure to check the progress of the "baking" after about 8 minutes, and then if it has
pulled away from the sides, check the center. Increase the "baking" time by one minute at a time until it is done. Let is set in the microwave for 5 minutes before turning out on the platter you will serve it on. THEN, decorate with your frosting as suggested above.

When I flipped it over the top was wet like, but not uncooked cake.

I think next time I will start checking after 8 mins or so....thnx

I wouldn't go more than the 8 minutes unless the micro has low wattage. Also, I have found that a little more than 1/2 can frosting may help.

I am thinking of experimenting with putting the frosting in first and then topping with cake mixture to ensure frosting is on top. Would that be a disaster?

DessertDivaFL said:
I wouldn't go more than the 8 minutes unless the micro has low wattage. Also, I have found that a little more than 1/2 can frosting may help.

I am thinking of experimenting with putting the frosting in first and then topping with cake mixture to ensure frosting is on top. Would that be a disaster?

The problem with that is you won't be able to mix the cake in the RCP if the frosting is already in there. When I demo the molten lava cake I make a point to show that the whole thing is mixed in the same bowl as it's cooked in. People are very impressed with that. Then I use our medium scoop to put 5 scoops of frosting (1 in the middle surrounded by 4 scoops) into the batter. I always check after 8 minutes. And I also use the pocket thermometer--it should read 160 degrees--to make sure it's done, which also demo's another product.

DessertDivaFL said:

I don't think you want the frosting in direct oncontact with the cooker. The first time I did this I dolloped the frosting around the top (not knowing it should be in the middle). Some of the frosting was touching the side of the cooker and I guess due to high sugar content of the frosting it burnt in the micro. The smell was horrible!!

KimoMakano said:
I don't think you want the frosting in direct oncontact with the cooker. The first time I did this I dolloped the frosting around the top (not knowing it should be in the middle). Some of the frosting was touching the side of the cooker and I guess due to high sugar content of the frosting it burnt in the micro. The smell was horrible!!

Yes, makes sense to me. I think the only way my theory will work is if I did this with the fluted pan.

PamperedchefDaly said:
When I demo the molten lava cake I make a point to show that the whole thing is mixed in the same bowl as it's cooked in. People are very impressed with that. Then I use our medium scoop to put 5 scoops of frosting

I do mine this way, too. I have even put the whole container of icing right in the middle. Always works our great with lots of delish. 'chocolate lava' :love:

1. What is the main reason for a failed lava cake?

The most common reason for a failed lava cake is overbaking. Lava cakes are meant to have a gooey, molten center, but if they are left in the oven for too long, the center will firm up and the lava effect will be lost.

2. Can I use any type of chocolate for a lava cake?

No, it is important to use a high-quality, dark chocolate for the best results. Milk chocolate or lower quality chocolate may not melt properly and can affect the texture and flavor of the lava cake.

3. Why did my lava cake collapse in the middle?

This could be due to several factors, such as not using enough leavening agent (such as baking powder), opening the oven door too early, or not properly greasing and flouring the ramekins.

4. Can I make a lava cake ahead of time and reheat it?

It is not recommended to make a lava cake ahead of time and reheat it, as the center will likely not remain molten. It is best to make and serve the lava cake immediately for the best results.

5. Can I use a different type of pan instead of ramekins?

Ramekins are the preferred pan for making lava cakes because they are the perfect size and shape to ensure even baking and a gooey center. However, you can use a muffin tin or small oven-safe bowls as a substitute, just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sunset424
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
almondfarm
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • chefnene