• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Unprocessed Rice: Help Needed!

In summary, the general rule for cooking unprocessed rice is to use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water for every cup of rice. The cooking time can range from 15 to 45 minutes and a rice cooker can be used for cooking it. It is recommended to rinse the rice before cooking, but some types may benefit from being soaked instead. To determine if the rice is done cooking, check if all the water has been absorbed and if the grains are tender but still slightly firm.
gilchrist_pchef
I just sold a Rice Cooker to a woman and she wants to know how to cook unprocessed rice from the health food store. I have no idea since my family eats minute rice :D Anyway if anyone knows please help.

Thanks,
Brittiny

I do not know either since my family would strock if I tried to shop at a health food store :eek: Anything that I have cooked in it though, I just followed the microwave instructions on the package maybe with a few tweaks to how long I cook it.

We eat a lot of brown rice at my house and here's how I do it in the microwave rice cooker:

1 cup brown rice, rinsed
2 cups water or chicken broth
Dash of salt

Place all in rice cooker and attach lid. Put in microwave for 10 minutes on high and then switch to low for 35-40 minutes.

This also works for regular white, jasmine, basmati, and similar rices, except you want to reduce the "low" time to 15-20 minutes.

The U&C card has info on cooking "real" rice. It doesn't shorten the time, but it does keep the rice from boiling over, burning, and taking up space on the stovetop.

cmdtrgd said:
The U&C card has info on cooking "real" rice. It doesn't shorten the time, but it does keep the rice from boiling over, burning, and taking up space on the stovetop.
And THAT is what its al about for me!!

Thanks So Much!!!

Have I said it yet today? I just love this site!!

1. How much water should I use when cooking unprocessed rice?

The general rule for cooking unprocessed rice is to use 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water for every cup of rice. However, the amount of water needed may vary depending on the type of rice and personal preference.

2. How long does it take to cook unprocessed rice?

The cooking time for unprocessed rice can range from 15 to 45 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the desired texture. It is important to follow the specific cooking instructions for the type of rice you are using.

3. Can I use a rice cooker to cook unprocessed rice?

Yes, a rice cooker can be used to cook unprocessed rice. Simply follow the instructions for your specific rice cooker and adjust the amount of water based on the type of rice being used.

4. Should I rinse unprocessed rice before cooking?

It is recommended to rinse unprocessed rice before cooking to remove any excess starch or debris. However, some types of rice, such as basmati or jasmine, may benefit from being soaked before cooking instead of rinsing.

5. How do I know when unprocessed rice is done cooking?

Unprocessed rice is done cooking when all the water has been absorbed and the grains are tender but still slightly firm. You can also taste a few grains to check for doneness. If the rice is still too firm, add a little more water and continue cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefdoreen
  • winklermom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jammie
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies