• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! My Mashed Potatoes Came Out Too Soupy - Any Tips?

In summary, Kara tried the recipe and it turned out good, but she made her own recipe and it was terrible. She also played around with the RC and made something.
stefani2
I FINALLY used my RC and made a Cake - LOVED IT! Tried mashed potatoes tonight - followed the recipe - and it was TOO SOUPY! What did I do wrong - any tips/suggestions? :(

Sorry Jenna, I've never made it before but I hope someone comes through for you so we can all learn.

I just did the volcano cake in mine and it blew up all over my microwave. Any suggestions on that? I did put the full can of icing in, perhaps it was too much? Are there recipes floating around for the rice cooker?

I make mashed potatoes in my rice cooker all the time.

Start out with a little less milk & butter... you can always add more if they're too thick. I dice my potatoes into 1" cubes, then rinse the cubes under cold water to remove the excess starch. They then go into the rice cooker with the milk & butter and get "nuked" on HIGH for 10 minutes. Remove from microwave to stir well, then put them back in for 6 to 8 minutes. They should now be ready for mashing.

For a great variation, instead of seasoning with salt & papper, try adding 1/2 package of Ranch Dressing mix. After you try the Ranch Mashed Potatoes, you may find that regular mashed potatoes are too bland to fix anymore.

Here are some additional recipes...

Attachments

• Rice cooker New Owner.doc
    80 KB · Views: 505
For the RC Cakes - ONLY use 1/2 can of frosting. a FULL CAN WILL BE TOO MUCH and it will overflow/explode.

I think I had diced my potatoes too small. With bigger cubes -there would be less milk.

I think I will try it again.

I do mashed potatoes too, I cook them for 12 minutes and leave the lid on for about another 10 or so, then mash them. I also mac n cheese all the time. I have found about 1 extra minute works great. So, about 8 1/2 minutes then drain right away.

Does anyone know what is pictured in the current fall/winter 08 catalog in the rice cooker plus? It does not look like rice to me...just wondering if anyone has heard

Thanks!!!!!
Kara

I have lactose people in my house, so when i followed the recipe I substituted water for the milk. I made them last night for the first time. it said to fill half full of liquid to start, but i thought that it was too much, i only did about 1/4 then added mild at the end to make them creamier. they turned out good. I just got my RCP but I am in love with it! I played around with making a cake, but made up my own... it was horrible LOL! I'm the only one in the house that will eat it! gonna try something else next time. I love playing around with things.

1. How do I fix mashed potatoes that are too soupy?

To thicken soupy mashed potatoes, you can add more potatoes or use a potato ricer or food mill to remove excess water. You can also mix in a small amount of instant mashed potatoes or cornstarch to absorb the excess liquid.

2. Can I add flour to thicken mashed potatoes?

It is not recommended to add flour to mashed potatoes as it can result in a gummy texture. Instead, use one of the methods mentioned above to thicken the potatoes without affecting the texture.

3. How do I avoid making soupy mashed potatoes in the first place?

The key to avoiding soupy mashed potatoes is to make sure you drain them well after boiling and to not over-mash them. Adding hot milk and butter gradually while mashing can also help prevent them from becoming too watery.

4. Can I still save my mashed potatoes if I accidentally added too much liquid?

Yes, you can still save your mashed potatoes by using one of the methods mentioned above to thicken them. Just be careful not to overwork the potatoes, as this can result in a gluey consistency.

5. How can I add more flavor to my mashed potatoes without making them soupy?

To add more flavor to mashed potatoes, try mixing in roasted garlic, fresh herbs, or grated cheese. You can also experiment with different types of milk or cream, such as buttermilk or sour cream, for added flavor without adding excess liquid.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cindycooks
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kcjodih
  • cher88bear
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Tash
  • TriciaAnn