• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking with Plastic: Is it Safe?

In summary, during a show, a customer mentioned concerns about cooking with plastic in the microwave, as it may release carcinogens into the food. The consultant had not heard of this before and planned to look into it by contacting home office. Other consultants in the conversation also shared their thoughts and experiences with using plastic in the microwave. The customer later emailed home office and received reassurance that the Rice Cooker Plus is made of microwave safe plastic and is approved for use in the microwave. Some consultants still expressed concerns, but the general consensus was that plastic in the microwave is not a significant health risk.
PCALISON437613
I HAD A SHOW LAST NIGHT WHERE A WOMAN ALLREADY HAD PURCHASED 2 RICE COOKERS AND WAS GOING TO PURCHASE A THIRD. (FIRST 2 WERE GIFTS) BUT SHE JUST RECENTLY HEARD THAT COOKING WITH PLASTIC IN THE MICRO RELEASES CARCINOGENS( I THINK THAT'S HOW IT'S SPELT) INTO THE FOOD FROM THE PLASTIC???? I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THIS, SO I INFORMED HER I WOULD LOOK INTO IT. HAVE ANY OF YOU ENCOUNTERED THIS QUESTION OR MAYBE KNOW THE ANSWER, I WAS THINKING ABOUT EMAILING H/O AND ASKING THEM. THIS ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE SOME CRAZY INTERNET EMAIL CHAIN LETTER BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD LOOK INTO IT MORE. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RESPONSES
:confused: ALISON
MICHIGAN

I would recommend calling home office on that one! Let us know what they say! How scary if true!

Kristi

From what I understand (and remember)... about 10 years ago or so there was a huge thing about re-heating food in "tupperware type" containers. There were some containers out there that would release nasty stuff into your food because they simply were not made for the microwave. (kind of like how there is still stoneware out there made with lead)

Most companies have changed their plastic containers and I do not believe it is really an issue anymore. I cannot believe PC would release any product that could pose such a significant health problem. (maybe ignorance in just believing that - but i believe in this company too much)

I would call the test kitchen... tell them the customers concern and I am sure they will be able to give you a response that makes everyone feel better. Be sure to post whatever their response is.

Please tell us what they say. Yes, I have had someone say the same thing about our Micro-cookers.

Recent Article in "Oganic Style" Magazine.....Talks about the dangers of using plastic in the microwave....and plastic used for storing food etc. VERY interesting..... *I* personally agree that plastic leaches carcinogens into our food....I don't use the Micro Cooker Plus.

:(

I Did Email Home Office, There Reply Was That The Rice Cooker Plus Is Made Of Microwave Safe Plastic, Which Is Approved For Prolong Use And Heating In A Microwave Oven. Unsafe Plastice Such As Inexpensive "tupperware" Type Products Or Some Childrens Bowl And Plate Sets Are Not Approved For Micro Use Due To The Fact The Plastic Materials They Are Made Of Can Pose A Hazard And Or Melt Or Warp. They Feel The Rice Cooker Plus Is Perfectly Safe For It's Designed Microwave Use.
So Micro Away!!!!!
Alison :)

plastics and cancer..How weird... I just got an e-mail the other day about plastics in the microwave causing cancer. I guess that e-mail is going around. Unfortunately I just deleted it yesterday. Maybe if I can find it I'll post it. I don't think it will make me not use the rice cooker plus but its interesting anyway

forgive me for saying this but, I am 38 years old and I have used plastic containers in the microwave for years. before we even heard about the dangers. plastic, paper, glass, whatever, It has never been an issue healthwise for me orr anybody i know so even though the micro cooker is microwave safe, it shouldnt cause a panic because if we havent already died from something in the past I doubt it if we will now. besides if it doesnt say microwave safe on it, it probably isnt made specifically for the microwave, but like i said it never stop anyone before. :rolleyes:

1. Is it safe to cook with plastic in the microwave?

Yes, it is safe to cook with plastic in the microwave as long as the plastic is labeled as microwave-safe. It is important to follow the instructions on the packaging and only use plastic that is specifically designed for microwave use.

2. Can I put plastic in the oven?

No, it is not safe to put plastic in the oven. Plastic can melt or release harmful chemicals when exposed to high temperatures. It is best to use oven-safe materials such as glass or ceramic for cooking in the oven.

3. Are all types of plastic safe for cooking?

No, not all types of plastic are safe for cooking. It is important to look for plastic that is labeled as food-safe and microwave-safe. Avoid using plastic containers that are not specifically designed for cooking or food storage.

4. Can I reuse plastic containers for cooking?

It is not recommended to reuse plastic containers for cooking as they can degrade over time and release chemicals into your food. It is best to use new or designated containers for cooking to ensure the safety of your food.

5. How can I tell if a plastic container is safe for cooking?

Look for labels that indicate the plastic is food-safe and microwave-safe. It is also important to check the temperature limits on the packaging. If you are unsure, it is best to use a different type of material for cooking, such as glass or ceramic.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• minirottie
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
purpleluvs3
  • redsoxgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
peichef
  • mandak