• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rice Cooker Cake?

pchefinski

Advanced Member
Oct 7, 2005
photochef said:
the cakes can be made with or without the lid.

If the cakes can be cooked in the micro without the lid and still come out yummy, can the same be done with the classic batter bowl? I want dessert tonight without using my oven, and this sounds SOO uber yummy (and easy) to do! If I can't do this, I might go for the 1 minute mini brownie sundaes from another post.. I've been craving those ever since I read about 'em! TIA, Amanda.

T

tpchefrebecca

Give it a try

I would try it Amanda. Just make sure you spray your bowl evenly. The warm hazelnut cake is made without a lid and all of the fluted stone doesn't even have a lid. So I say why not?

If you do try it, let us know how it comes out

Jan 11, 2006
Rice Cooker

Ok ladies, I tried the 9 minute cake in the rice cooker and the taste was fine. The appearence was a totally different story. I tried it two different ways. First, I mixed everything in the rice cooker and then dropped the frosting on top and cooked it 9 minutes with the top on. Looked nasty. Then I put the frosting in the bottom and mixed with cake mix with a mixer and poured it over the frosting and left the top off. When in inverted it, it was lopsided and it shrunk. I could've served it as some sort of molten fudge surprise it guess. Like I said the taste was great. I actually took this to my directors meeting as a what not to do. Ok what did I do wrong? Need help with this one.

sailortena

Feb 3, 2006
I prefer a chocolate-chocolate combination. I used Duncan Hines dark chocolate mix and a chocolate fudgy icing. It turned out great and tasted wonderful. (Cooked it with top on.)

I put shaved chocolate on top and raspberries for an added affect.

Jan 11, 2006
rice cooker

Well I don't know what I did wrong. I tried it both ways and they both looked sad. My director suggested still doing it just calling it something else. Maybe serving with hot fudge and ice cream? Don't know. Thanks for your input.

K

KristineAdams

defintely a molten lava cake

I did this for my spring kick off show. I underestimated big time the title molten lava. you defintely need a large platter (SA Large Platter) to put this puppy on. I don't have the large platter but I do have the SA Large Server Bowl. the cake tasted awesome but the top does look funky. So, i just say that is why it is called molten lava cake because it looks a bit like a volcano. i can't eat chocolate so i made it with vanilla cake and buttercream icing. Delicious!!!!!!!!!

To go with the volcano look of it i guess defintely do a chocolate cake and strawberry or cherry icing...hmmmm could be fun for a tropic theme party or show.

I think you did the recipe fine, it just looks funny I think.

Jan 11, 2006
rice cooker

Thanks Kirstine. I didn't think I was nuts, it looks like molten lava. I thought about trying the 12 minute cake in the rice cooker. Where you use pie filling in the mix. But then you still have to drizzle something on top. That one looks funky without something on top. Thanks again:)

pamperedharriet

Legacy Member
Jul 21, 2005
Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake

pamperedkristina said:
The cake is called Warm Chocolate Hazelnut Cake and can be found in the Spring/Summer Season's Best 2006. It is oh so good! I'd say it takes about 20 minutes to have the cake completely done from start to finish and ready to eat. This recipe is fast, easy, and delicious! No kidding! :)
I'll have to try it. I bought the ingredients to make it. Thanks.

jenniann

Sep 27, 2005
Try it with the homemade whipped cream made iwth the double balloon whisk and the SS bowls! YUM YUM! My guests went crazy!

lacychef

Legend Member
Feb 15, 2006
regular size cake mix?

BethCooks4U said:
I was intrigued by the idea of a cake in the rice cooker so I just tried it. I put 3 scoops of frosting in the bottom and then the prepared cake mix. Covered it and micorwaved on high for 9 minutes. The cake wasn't even touching the sides of the pan! I inverted it SOOOO easily onto a plate. The frosting drizzled down (I would use 4 medium scoops - I think 3 wasn't quite enough) and it is so moist and yummy! I had to try it hot! Once it cools I'll sprinkle powdered sugar or cocoa over it. My son suggested coconut - I hate coconut but if that what he wants...it'll keep me away from it. ;)

I LOVE to give multiple uses for our tools! Thanks for suggesting this!

I was just curious-do you use a regular size cake mix or a 9oz? I can't wait to try this out!:)

Feb 25, 2006
ok, I've experimented with a few different mixes.

First, I use the rice cooker.
I made a butter recipe white cake with LEMON frosting.
different choc cakes (devils food, chocolate fudge etc) with choc frosting

it always comes out AMAZING
no matter which mix I use, I do that ahead and then add it to the cooker. Then I scoop 4 med scoops of frosting and cook 10 minutes. Let it stand and it will pop right out! I then top with powdered sugar. It's super moist & stays hot for a long time. I've sold a few rice cookers because of it and will keep demoing that for a long time.

Dec 26, 2005
Rice Cooker Cake

At our cluster meeting, I was asked to demonstrate one of the new recipes, and I cooked the Chocolate hazelnut cake. It was really easy and turned out picture perfect! I am baking one in the microwave as we speak for my family.

Angela

Paige Dixon

Veteran Member
Aug 11, 2004
pchefinski said:
If the cakes can be cooked in the micro without the lid and still come out yummy, can the same be done with the classic batter bowl? I want dessert tonight without using my oven, and this sounds SOO uber yummy (and easy) to do! If I can't do this, I might go for the 1 minute mini brownie sundaes from another post.. I've been craving those ever since I read about 'em! TIA, Amanda.

Let me know how it turns out in the microwave. I had a guest who didn't want to eat anything out of plastic from the microwave, so she asked if it would work in the batter bowl.

Paige Dixon

Veteran Member
Aug 11, 2004
Kim McCumbers said:
Ok ladies, I tried the 9 minute cake in the rice cooker and the taste was fine. The appearence was a totally different story. I tried it two different ways. First, I mixed everything in the rice cooker and then dropped the frosting on top and cooked it 9 minutes with the top on. Looked nasty. Then I put the frosting in the bottom and mixed with cake mix with a mixer and poured it over the frosting and left the top off. When in inverted it, it was lopsided and it shrunk. I could've served it as some sort of molten fudge surprise it guess. Like I said the taste was great. I actually took this to my directors meeting as a what not to do. Ok what did I do wrong? Need help with this one.

I did this cake for the first time in a brand new microwave and it looked perfect. The following day I did it in a microwave probaly older than me. It looked horrible, but 7 out of 8 guests bought the rice cooker and they raved about it!

Lisa/ChefBear

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2005
Rice Cooker Recipes

Go to the link/request about Strawberry Margarita recipes, I don't know how to do it, or I would, and it has a book of recipes of things other than rice to make in the Rice Cooker, and Yes Cakes are one of them!!

HTH,

Lisa

chefmelody

Feb 6, 2006
Just made the chocolate lava cake in the microwave for a workplace show. It came out incredible! Everyone raved about it. I served it with vanilla ice cream, and I sold several rice cookers and even a few ice cream scoops too!

My microwave at home was a little too powerful (the cake started exploding out of the lid at 5 1/2 minutes!), but the one at work was perfect. I think at home I'll cook it with the lid off, to see if that helps.

I want to try a lemon cake next!

tina617

Novice Member
Oct 30, 2005
Hazelnut cake

I think the hazelnut cake is amazing too, but I had trouble getting the nuts on the side. Anyone else have this trouble?

Tina

Apr 12, 2005
Rice Cooker Cake

This cake is SO easy and your guests will be amazed! You can do it one of two ways; mix the cake as on the box in your batter bowl, use your medium or large scoop to plop a few (4 is usually enough) scoops-full of pre-made frosting, then pour cake batter into the rice cooker. Add the lid (but I don't use the CLEAR lid), and microwave MAX of 9 minutes; test it with your cake tester in case your hosts' microwave isn't very strong, and microwaves with a turning plate make a difference, too.
The other way is to mix the cake in the rice cooker, as box directions say, THEN add your plops of icing . . . . .
I prefer putting icing in first as then when you "dump" it out onto a SA plate, the icing ends up on TOP. Make sure you invert the cake onto a plate with "edges" as it is gooey. My cluster refers to it as "lava cake". Makes a GREAT quick dessert . . . . . .

chef.katie

Mar 6, 2006
you can mix the cake in the rice cooker and add the frosting on top. It will melt and sink to the bottom while the cake cooks on top. When you invert the cake, the frosting is melted on the top and running down the sides!

AlowayFamily

Advanced Member
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2006
Can this be done in something other than the rice cooker? I have the large micro cooker and the batter bowl, but no rice cooker. I would love to try it!

Mar 8, 2006
Rice cooker cake

I acually have made this at a couple parties and it has been a big hit. I actually tried a pineapple cake mix and put 4 scoops of store bought cream cheese frosting in it...yummy!

cmdtrgd

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2006
You could probably do it in the batter bowl, just make sure to leave room for it to expand and don't put on the lid. All of our stoneware is also microwaveable, so you could do it in a deep dish baker, fluted pan, pie plate, etc.

rennea

Legacy Member
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2005
Cookie said:
I was doing a demo of this cake at an open house and another vendor told me that you can do the same thing with using cherry pie filling instead of the frosting. I tried it and it was a great gloppy mess! :eek: I won't repeat what my daughter said it looked like. But I agreed. Yuk!

I have did this many times and my cake has always turned out. I have did it with apple pie filling as well.

Mar 24, 2006
I'm with Nancy, I have all of the same items but not the rice cooker, guess I know what I'll be ordering next. This sounds so easy and what a quick way to sell something!

missey1020

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have done it in the batter bowl several times. I make the cake mix as said and put 3 small scoops of frosting in. Put it in for 10 min and check to see if it’s done. I love it. I have done it several times for open my open house.

Karen Hodge

Mar 30, 2006
We call this a molten lava cake!! You prepare the cake mix using the
instructions on the box. You can even mix it right in the rice cooker.
Drop 4 scoops of icing into prepared cake mix. Microwave for 8 min.
Invert onto serving plate. The icing is hot and bubbly. Thus the name molten
lava. It is delicious and very impressive at a show. Serve with ice cream.