• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Making a Cake in a Rice Cooker vs. Microwave

Shannon:)I love my micro cooker! It eats rice and brownies so fast. I have never made a chocolate cake in it, but maybe one of these days I will...I've heard that chocolate with chocolate comes out looking the best.All this sounds good, must get the rice cooker. All I have is the large micro cooker...any good cakes/recipes or something in that???I tried this last night, and while it tasted good, it looked
SilverCeladon
I just got my rice cooker today and I want to make the cake. How long do you put it in the micro for? The consultant at the last party I went to just made the cake mix like normal and put a huge dollop of frosting in the middle and microwaved it. Is that right?

here is my recipe file for the rice cooker

Attachments

• Rice cooker cake.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 769
SilverCeladon said:
I just got my rice cooker today and I want to make the cake. How long do you put it in the micro for? The consultant at the last party I went to just made the cake mix like normal and put a huge dollop of frosting in the middle and microwaved it. Is that right?
That's what I do. 1/2 of the Cake mix than 1/2- 1/3 the frosting than the rest of the cake mix. 9 minutes and your ready. I let it cool for just a moment then flip it out onto my SA platter (med one with the cranberry trim( You can use the dots for the New season tho. It would be really festive. Good luck and enjoy:) Laurel

Awesome! I just sent my husband to the store to get some cake mix. I thought you were supposed to leave off the lid. No?

I tried this last night, and while it tasted good, it looked bad! How high do your cakes turn out? Mine was only a few inches, and 1/2 a can of frosting was WAY too much, it was EVERYWHERE. Next time, I'm going to try it with one scoop...But I wanted to see if it's only supposed to be a few inches high. I pictured something bigger.

Hazelnut cake?Are you talking about the warm chocolate hazelnut cake? I love that cake!! It makes my mouth water just talking about it.
I can eat the Nutela straight from the jar. It's like eating crushed up Ferrer rocher candies!
I love hazelnuts and chocolate! Come to think of it, I love any kind of nut and chocolate.
Debbie :D

CAmomCookin4U said:
That's what I do. 1/2 of the Cake mix than 1/2- 1/3 the frosting than the rest of the cake mix. 9 minutes and your ready. I let it cool for just a moment then flip it out onto my SA platter (med one with the cranberry trim( You can use the dots for the New season tho. It would be really festive. Good luck and enjoy:) Laurel

Y do you only do 1/2 of the cake mix? I have done it with the whole cake each time I have made it.

We just made and ate a rice cooker cake. I made devil's food cake (the whole box cake mix) and put 1/2 the icing into the middle of the cake batter. 9 minutes in the microwave and we ate it 20 minutes later. Looks great and taste even better!! Enjoy your cake!!!

I've heard that chocolate with chocolate comes out looking the best.

All this sounds good, must get the rice cooker. All I have is the large micro cooker...any good cakes/recipes or something in that???

Winnipegk said:
I tried this last night, and while it tasted good, it looked bad! How high do your cakes turn out? Mine was only a few inches, and 1/2 a can of frosting was WAY too much, it was EVERYWHERE. Next time, I'm going to try it with one scoop...

But I wanted to see if it's only supposed to be a few inches high. I pictured something bigger.

That sounds like your cake wasn't completely done, and what you thought was icing was partially unbaked cake batter! :eek: My cakes always come out almost as tall as the rice cooker... the top is pressed against the inner lid, and it doesn't fall down when I dump it on the plate.

Shannon, I have the large micro cooker which doesn't get put away everyday. It is great for steaming chicken, vegetables and I've also used it to cook my ground beef in the microwave--I think I've cooked it for about 5 minutes on high the ground beef.

My cakes come out almost as high as the rice cooker also:) Last weekend at a show I did the micro cake in the fluted stoneware... it looked so awesome, after it cooled a bit a put it on the new S/A lg dots bowl... Everyone was amazed at how well it looked and tasted... and the fact that you can bake it in the microwave blew them away:)

chefmelody said:
That sounds like your cake wasn't completely done, and what you thought was icing was partially unbaked cake batter! :eek: My cakes always come out almost as tall as the rice cooker... the top is pressed against the inner lid, and it doesn't fall down when I dump it on the plate.

That's what I thought too, but after about 7 minutes, the cooker started shaking and the lid was making weird banging noises!!!

How much cake batter is in one package? Maybe sizes are different in Canada??? My batter only came up about 1/4 of the height of the rice cooker.

I knew I should have bought another box of cake mix when I was at the store!!!

Winnipegk said:
How much cake batter is in one package? Maybe sizes are different in Canada??? My batter only came up about 1/4 of the height of the rice cooker.
The rice cooker cake uses a standard 18 ounce cake mix. Some mixes are 9 ounces. You'll need to use 2 of those.

DebbieSAChef said:
Are you talking about the warm chocolate hazelnut cake? I love that cake!! It makes my mouth water just talking about it.
I can eat the Nutela straight from the jar. It's like eating crushed up Ferrer rocher candies!
I love hazelnuts and chocolate! Come to think of it, I love any kind of nut and chocolate.

I'm not a huge choc fan but absolutely LOVE the Nutella!!!!! Since it said made with skim milk figured not bad, huh! still love it; I try not to keep in the house or I"ll eat it all before making the cake, same thing happens with many recipes, I buy the ingreds and eat them before making the recipe!!! LOL

Many times like Pineapple tidbits or something!

liz

grrr it was an 18 oz package....do I just ignore the banging noises and let it cook for the full 10 minutes?Do you flip it out right away or do you let it cool? I'm going to go to the store and get some more cake mix.

I let mine sit for about 5ish minutes and then dumped it out.

nicki25 said:
I let mine sit for about 5ish minutes and then dumped it out.
Ok, I'm going to try it out again tonight and just hope my rice cooker doesn't explode.eta: OK I couldn't wait until tonight so I ran and got another box of mix. It's in the microwave right now and I'mnot taking it out early!!Ok so 10 minutes wasn't quite long enough I don't think. And I put in less frosting and it wasn't enough. But it looks better...

Last edited:
Were both sides of the lid on the rice cooker "locked" down tight? That may have contributed to some of the noise -- happed to me once that one side was not "locked" and I ended up with a huge chocolate cake mess in my microwave! Also I have found that generic cake mixes take longer to cook and are not as tall as the name brands for some reason:)

I use the the rice cooker with the top off, and cook for 11 min..next time I will try for 10.

On or Off?Is it a matter of preference whether to leave the rice cooker lid on or off? I made the Hazelnut cake the other night with the lid off. It tasted delicious, but part of it stuck in the cooker? Any tricks to get it all to come out nice and clean?

I have done the choc, with choc frosting in the fluted but never the ricecooker yet, I will be trying that tonight. My thoughts on the fluted, not so pretty but it was moist. However the choc. hazelnut was a rave in the cooker last week! Will see what the results are tonight?

stupid question:

If you only have the large micro cooker...would the cake recipe work if it were halfed or smaller cake size?

purrbal said:
stupid question:

If you only have the large micro cooker...would the cake recipe work if it were halfed or smaller cake size?
Probably. Try it at home before you try it at a show. ;)

ok ... DON'T anyone else try that, melted my stinkin pan :eek: :eek: {sigh} oh well guess I will have to replace that that now. DO I FEEL STUPID NOW!!! :eek:

ok ... DON'T anyone else try that, melted my stinkin pan {sigh} oh well guess I will have to replace that that now. DO I FEEL STUPID NOW!!!

Sounds like a product adjustment to me!

BTW, no need to feel stupid....even the best chef's have their blunders.

purrbal said:
ok ... DON'T anyone else try that, melted my stinkin pan :eek: :eek: {sigh} oh well guess I will have to replace that that now. DO I FEEL STUPID NOW!!! :eek:
Ohhhh... now I feel bad because I was the one who told you to go for it. I never would have thought that it would melt!

I guess we all know now not to use the micro cooker for cakes.

Lesson learned. Sorry it was at your expense, Shannon.

called about melting
pamperedharriet said:
I guess we all know now not to use the micro cooker for cakes.
:D

ok need to get it packed up ready to send in for replacement.

chefann said:
Ohhhh... now I feel bad because I was the one who told you to go for it. I never would have thought that it would melt!
It is okay, I think the frosting just got too hot...it was probably my fault I probably put it in for too long. I just learned a lesson. :eek:

raebates said:
Lesson learned. Sorry it was at your expense, Shannon.
Thank you, it is okay at least I am able to get it replaced. :D

first time maker here: do you SERIOUSLY use a whole cake mix in the rice cooker? About half goes just under the line in the cooker...need advice quickly please?????

I've made the cake in the rice cooker, and used the whole cake mix. I just mixed the cake mix up in the rice cooker, put 1/2 of the can of frosting and stuck the lid on (I don't put the "inner" lid on though, that made a mess the last time I did it.) and put it in the microwave for 9 minutes. It's always turned out really good for me and my hosts LOVE that they can do it at work! I've sold so many of them just doing that at a show it's not funny!

Okay can someone PLEASE tell me the secret to this cake??? I did it both ways lid on and lid off...but the stinkin thing keeps getting a < split in it only on one side but definitely there. PLUS the silly thing will not just plop all out the top keeps remaining in the thing so there must be something I am not doing right. OY! :D I wanted to do in my show today but not until I master it.

I've made it withOUT the lid. I put the whole cake mix in, put a few dollops of frosting on top, and microwave for about 10-11 minutes. It's not the PRETTIEST cake, but it tasted fine. I've done it like this 2-3 times, and it's been the same EACH time. I haven't tried it with the lid ON though. I don't know if there's a need for the lid or only preference...anyone know?

Has anyone made a cake from scratch and cooked it in the RC? if YES care to share the cake recipe?

Okay, I've made 2 cake mix/pop cakes in the rice cooker. The first one was orange pop/yellow cake (awesome combo) and it stuck in there. The second was diet pepsi/devil's food (also pretty delish) with homemade frosting plopped on top before baking. The frosting sunk in 3 blobs. This one popped right out, but it is NOT pretty. Are these cakes ever attractive? Or just good for something quick and tasty after dinner? I'm going to have the fluted pan soon so I shall see if that works any better...I'm obsessed with this now!

I have tried making the cake in the rice cooker twice now, with the same, sad, results. One recipe said to leave the lid on, another said leave the lid off......I tried both ways. Which is the best way? And if you leave the lid on, do you also leave the clear inner lid on? Thanks!

In my efforts I have found lid off leaves best chances of normal cake bottom otherwise it gets an indent. ;) I have managed to get the cake to work as long as using normal ingredients, still not able to get the "soda" cake to come out normally although I have not tried it with "frosting" so I should try that and see what I get.

I want to try making a chocolate cake/chocolate frosting combo in the RC this week. However, I keep hearing different things about the lids and the cooking time. What works best for the lid -- on or off? If on, do I use just the outer lid or the clear inner one as well?

In terms of cooking time -- is it 9, 10 or 11 minutes? I have a pretty old microwave, it's one that I inherited from my parents when I moved out of the house years ago (lol....but the thing still works awesome, so I may as well keep it, right?) The inner label says that output is 800 watts. Does anyone have a similar microwave that can give me a "more accurate" cooking time for my microwave wattage?

I've found that if you have a very powerful microwave, you'll need to set it on 80% power when you cook this. The first time I tried mine, the cake exploded out of the cooker... even with the lid snapped on! It made a HUGE mess. The next few times I tried it at 9 minutes at 80% power and it came out lovely. I use one whole cake mix and 5 medium scoops of frosting in mine. In lower/normal power microwaves, it came out perfect at 9 minutes, full power. I usually watch it to make sure the lid isn't "straining" or leaking out. I use both lids snapped on, too.

Me 2...
DebbieSAChef said:
Are you talking about the warm chocolate hazelnut cake? I love that cake!! It makes my mouth water just talking about it.

and figured since it was made with skim milk it was healthy too ;) Non fattening as well, YEAH, RIGHT :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lisa717
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis
  • taterbug
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
smstrks