• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker?

because I was one of those people! I would follow the microwave directions on the side of the box and it would always take the same amount of time. Then I tried doing it on the stovetop and it actually took less time. I think it might have been because the rice wasn't stuck to the bottom of the pot. I am not sure, but it might be worth trying out if you are having trouble cooking rice on the stovetop.Many people do not know how to cook rice on the stovetop. I know... because I was one of those people! I would follow the microwave directions on the side of the box and it would always take the same amount of time. Then I tried doing it
heat123
Silver Member
I have never done anything but brown rice in my rice cooker.. has anyone ever done rice a roni it theirs? I am making the micro chix fajitas and wanted to see how fast doing rice would be? The box says for 23 min or so but that was in a glass casserole dish. And on stove top it's only 16min I think!? If anyone has done R-A-R before, in the rice cooker please, any tips or suggestions!

I did it but it has been a while. I think it took about as long as normal rice did. I cannot remember for sure but I think I had to add a little more water toward the end for it to not dry out.

Sorry I could not be more help.

hm, that's odd, I thought it would be quicker in the cooker? :( I guess I will just do it via stove top and show off another piece o cookware! ;)

heat123 said:
hm, that's odd, I thought it would be quicker in the cooker? :( I guess I will just do it via stove top and show off another piece o cookware! ;)

i meant it takes about the same as normal rice does in the cooker. but then i cook minute rice in it. i do not remember how long i cooked. i think i started with half the time that was on the box and went from there.

OH, got it... hm, maybe I should do a test batch tonight and see how quick it cooks?? ;)

I do Rice a Roni in the rice cooker all the time for my own family. You can just follow the microwave directions on the side of the box. It does take about the same amount of time, but I can do other things while it is cooking instead of having to keep track of it, especially when I am baking the rest of dinner. I am really busy at night with my kids so I am all about a shortcut! Usually takes me about 20 minutes.

alatour said:
I do Rice a Roni in the rice cooker all the time for my own family. You can just follow the microwave directions on the side of the box. It does take about the same amount of time, but I can do other things while it is cooking instead of having to keep track of it, especially when I am baking the rest of dinner. I am really busy at night with my kids so I am all about a shortcut! Usually takes me about 20 minutes.

Good to know... but I am suprised it doesn't take a shorter amount of time to cook! I thought that was the point of using it?? Strange? I guess I will stick to the stove top with our nonstick pan I can talk about :p.

Make sure not to do the first step where you're supposed to brown the rice in butter... that'll ruin your rice cooker. I know, I ruined mine! You always have to have water in it. Good luck!

Oops, I already did! Curiousity was killin me so I put in a test batch. It didn't seem to ruin it though, luckily!

ChefPaulaB said:
Make sure not to do the first step where you're supposed to brown the rice in butter... that'll ruin your rice cooker. I know, I ruined mine! You always have to have water in it. Good luck!

What happened to it?

It came out, but it did take just as long as it would on stove top :(. I will do it on stove top tomorrow and really push cookware since it's HS this month!

alatour said:
What happened to it?

It ruined the bottom of it, it melted the rice into it and there was no getting it cleaned. I don't know if it would still work after that, since there were little pieces of the rice still melted into it, I really didn't feel comfortable cooking in it again. I sent it back and am waiting for a replacement, we'll see if they come through with it. Wasn't sure if they would, since it does say not to do it in the product care, but we'll see. There was another link on here somewhere where someone did that and it caught on fire... So, when I get my new one, I'll just stick to plain rice! And maybe try the cakes...

heat123 said:
Good to know... but I am suprised it doesn't take a shorter amount of time to cook! I thought that was the point of using it?? Strange? I guess I will stick to the stove top with our nonstick pan I can talk about :p.

Many people do not know how to cook rice on the stovetop. I know RaR is seasoned and has directions, but when I started selling PC 8 years ago, one of the ways to sell cookware at a show was to intentionally overcook the rice, ask how many people had ever forgotten and seen it like it was in the pan, then show just how easy it was to clean our non-stick cookware (it's truly non-stick!).

So the purpose of the RC+ is three-fold: perfect rice, every time! Frees up one burner on stovetop if needed or to keep small kids from grabbing handle and getting burned, and doesn't heat up the kitchen. We love it so much that my husband insisted on his own so that he can have rice when I have shows! One nice rice variation we do is using 1 1/2 cups water and adding 1 cup salsa to 1 cup rice for spanish rice.

ChefPaulaB said:
It ruined the bottom of it, it melted the rice into it and there was no getting it cleaned. I don't know if it would still work after that, since there were little pieces of the rice still melted into it, I really didn't feel comfortable cooking in it again. I sent it back and am waiting for a replacement, we'll see if they come through with it. Wasn't sure if they would, since it does say not to do it in the product care, but we'll see. There was another link on here somewhere where someone did that and it caught on fire... So, when I get my new one, I'll just stick to plain rice! And maybe try the cakes...

I cook the rice/noodles on the stove to brown them and let them cool slightly before adding them to cold liquid in the rice cooker. I've even browned them in the micro for 4-5 minutes in a simple additions and then transferred them as above. I've never had a problem. I did see in the use and care to always have liquid in the cooker with rice though... maybe I am insane (don't quote me), but I did make a note of it to myself. Hopefully that doesn't void the warranty.

I make my own rice a roni mix though so mine may be just a little different than the store variety.

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:
I cook the rice/noodles on the stove to brown them and let them cool slightly before adding them to cold liquid in the rice cooker. I've even browned them in the micro for 4-5 minutes in a simple additions and then transferred them as above. I've never had a problem. I did see in the use and care to always have liquid in the cooker with rice though... maybe I am insane (don't quote me), but I did make a note of it to myself. Hopefully that doesn't void the warranty.

I make my own rice a roni mix though so mine may be just a little different than the store variety.

Yeah, it had been a while since I read the use and care and I forgot to make a note to self, so I ruined mine, I guess you know that I'll make a note to self next time! Thanks for the ideas to make it without scorching it.:)

Chef Stephanie Petersen said:

This statement is just begging to be asked: can you please share your recipe?

1. How do I make Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker?

To make Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker, follow these simple steps:1. Measure out the desired amount of Rice-A-Roni and add it to the rice cooker.2. Add the appropriate amount of water according to the package instructions.3. Close the lid and select the "white rice" setting on the rice cooker.4. Let it cook for the recommended time on the package.5. Once done, fluff the rice with a fork and serve.

2. Can I add extra ingredients to my Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker?

Yes, you can add extra ingredients to your Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker to enhance the flavor. Some popular additions include diced vegetables, cooked meat, and herbs and spices. Just make sure to adjust the amount of water accordingly to avoid overcooking.

3. How long does it take to cook Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker?

The cooking time for Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker may vary slightly depending on the brand and type of rice cooker. However, on average, it takes around 18-20 minutes for the rice to cook to perfection.

4. Can I use the Rice-A-Roni seasoning packet in the Rice Cooker?

Yes, you can use the seasoning packet that comes with the Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker. Simply add it to the rice and water before cooking to evenly distribute the flavor throughout the rice.

5. Is it possible to make a large batch of Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker?

Yes, it is possible to make a large batch of Rice-A-Roni in the Rice Cooker. Just make sure not to exceed the maximum capacity of your rice cooker and adjust the amount of water accordingly. You may also need to increase the cooking time slightly for a larger batch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • chefsteph07
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pampered1224
Replies
Views
Staci