• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Manual Food Processor by Pampered Chef worth the hype?

In summary, the speaker wanted to start a thread for actual reviews of the product, rather than talking about other aspects of it. They tried making salsa, tuna salad, and strawberry ice using the product and shared their verdict on each dish. They also mentioned trying to chop frozen strawberries and how it worked well. They concluded by saying that the product is a fun addition to their kitchen and would recommend it, giving it 4 out of 5 chef hats. They also requested that comments on the review be based on actual use rather than just empty opinions. Another person commented on their experience using the product to chop pineapple and vegetables, saying it worked well but could have some drawbacks.
Ok, so I am not big into doing PC recipes at my shows unless a host asks because I want to show my guest that they can use our products for their own normal, every day tasks. So with that said, I have been trying new ways to use the MFP.

I have used it to make an omlet for my hubby. I put in the meat, then the veggies, then the eggs, poured it into the exec cookware, sprinkled with cheese I grated the other day w/ the coarse adj. grater and viola, instant omlet. Beats dragging out my cutting board, a knife, a bowl, a whisk, the food chopper, etc. One product makes breakfast easy.
Wahoo.

Also made a version of Denny's Banana's foster French toast. I mixed eggs and cinnamon w/ a little water in the MFP til frothy, poured into a dish, dunked in my bread, baked it on the large bar pan for 12 mins in the oven on 350 and while it was cooking, in a prep bowl I added PC caramel sauce and butter and heated in the microwave at 15 sec. intervals until melted and gooey. Cut the banana's w/ the ESP and it was FANTASTIC. I know a lot more products used but it was so good I had to share.

The Bananas Foster French Toast sounds awesome. What is ESP?

magentablue said:
The Bananas Foster French Toast sounds awesome. What is ESP?

Egg Slicer Plus. Love that product!!!

julmarsala said:
I made tuna salad w/carrots, orange pepper, celery, cucumber and onion. I was very impressed. Processed a bit and then added mayo and black pepper and processed it some more. Very tasty.

However, I was not happy with the clean up. I ran water over the lid while washing it (I did not submerge it) and a lot of water got into the lid/mechanism which I could hear when I shaked it. I'm not too happy about that design piece. Seems like the lid should be wipe not wash so to speak... Anyone else have this experience or thoughts.

The UC&G states to wipe it down only, you cannot even run water over it or submerge it.

Mango confetti salsa - I'm in LOVE! Although next time I will probably do it in steps, had a little problem with large chunks. Love the mango wedger for the mango and you have to have the avacado peeler, works dreams with the wedged mango. I was missing lime so it lacked that flavor and I do think it needs cilantro.

I have used mine to make the mango salsa....but also wish it was bigger. I had to process the ingredients in 2 batches and then combine everything in a bigger bowl. But my co-workers LOVED the end result! Next I will try tuna salad....

wadesgirl said:
The UC&G states to wipe it down only, you cannot even run water over it or submerge it.

The U&C provided with the MFP states: "Lid is hand wash only; do not submerge in water. Do not disassemble lid."
It didn't state anything about wipe down only or don't run water over it. If the UC&G says that, then shouldn't that be the same instruction that users get? :confused:

I agree that extra bowls would be nice.

I tried to see how much replacement bowls cost. Aren't all the parts replaceable on this? Getting an extra bowl might be a good idea!
Guess we have to wait until March 1st unless somebody can find the new list. All I could find was one that expired Feb 28th.

Is it just me, or does Brian have a scary smile on page 4 of the new catalog? :D He looks a lot more friendly in the consultant news.

ShellBeach said:
I tried to see how much replacement bowls cost. Aren't all the parts replaceable on this? Getting an extra bowl might be a good idea!
Guess we have to wait until March 1st unless somebody can find the new list. All I could find was one that expired Feb 28th.

Is it just me, or does Brian have a scary smile on page 4 of the new catalog? :D He looks a lot more friendly in the consultant news.

Oh and here I thought he looked pretty cute.

Does anyone have any recipes for the processor other than the salsa? That's so much!

Loving the mfp and agree that it needs a lid. I used the blue plastic 'Ziploc' lid that fits the 1.75 cup ( 14 oz /415 ml) round bowl. It isn't a perfect fit (leak proof) but works better than plastic wrap.

I was looking at a lid too but I noticed that the bowl has what is known as a drip-less edge just like the cookware for ease of pouring liquids out of it. Will a lid work on that? And Keith - thank you so much for all of that input. You are wonderful for sharing that. Here is something else. I do a catty run at every change over. I took my MFP to show the 6 people I was dropping off catalogs too. I have 5 sold at 10% off and two bookings already so they get one at the 60% off. One in March and one in May. Now, one lady who booked has terrible arthritis in her right hand. She loved our FC but the bones in her hand, just under the thumb have started to deteriorate something fierce and she can no longer use the FC because the pounding hurts way too much. She sis try it out yesterday. She was totally sold on it. She could actually use her finger tips to push down the handle and got plenty of force out it. She had half an onion in her fridge and threw that in. It did not hurt her hand at all.

I made the following recipe in my manual food processor (mainly because I did not want to get out my KitchenAid food processor). Plus I also wanted to see if it was possible to make it with the mfp instead of a regular food processor. A lot of people that I know have asked me to make these burgers for them; one, because they are so delicious! And two, because they don't have food processors. Now I can tell them to buy the mfp so they can make them for themselves! lol This is obviously not a recipe to do as a demo for a show, as it does take longer than 30 min to prepare and the ingredients cost more than $15.

What I found was that it was best to do the parsley first then bread crumbs (the bread will clean off the parsley that sticks to the sides of the bowl). I had no trouble at all with the shrimp - broken into two batches - it took about 10 pumps to get the shrimp with the right amount of chunks vs fine mince. However, getting it to make bread crumbs took forever! I used the grill pan to grill them.

On a side note, if you have a Harris Teeter near you, shrimp is buy two 2 lb bags, get THREE 2 lb bags FREE! Which ends up being about $11-$12/bag.

Enjoy!

Southern Shrimp Burgers - Recipe by Cooks Illustrated

Be sure to use raw, not cooked shrimp. Dry the shrimp thoroughly before processing or the burgers will be mushy. Handle gently when shaping and grilling; if overhandled while being shaped, the burgers will be dense and rubbery, and if handled roughly during cooking, they will break apart. Serve with tartar sauce or flavored mayo.

1 1/2 lbs extra large shrimp, peeled, deveined and patted dry
1/4 cup mayo
2 scallions, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
Pinch cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 slice hearty white sandwich bread, torn into large pieces and pulsed in a food processor to coarse crumbs

1. Pulse the shrimp in a food processor until some pieces are finely minced and others are coarsely chopped, about 7 pulses. Transfer the shrimp to a large bowl.

2. Combine mayo, scallions, parsley, lemon zest, cayenne, salt and pepper in a large bowl until uniform, then gently fold into the processed shrimp until just combined. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the mixture and gently fold until incorporated.

3. Scrape the shrimp mixture onto a small baking sheet, divide into 4 equal portions and loosely pack each into a 1-inch thick patty. Cover and refrigerate the patties for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.

4. Lightly brush tops of burgers with oil and place on grill or in pan, oiled side down and lightly brush the other side with oil. Cook the burgers without pressing on them, until lightly browned and cooked through, 10-14 minutes, flipping halfway through. Transfer to a platter, tent loosely with foil and let rest for 5 min before serving.

Now I am curious to find out if I would be able to chop up raw pork with it to make McRib sandwiches.

I love, love, love the Mango Confetti Salsa. I find myself eating it plain, on baked tortillas, on cottage cheese, on sandwiches -- not to mention on a bland piece of chicken... The first time I made it, I found I had to make it in batches, then I watched the video on CC and saw that their proportions of the veggies were very small compared to mine. So the next time I made it there was no need to make it in batches. A 'small' onion is relative, as is a 'small' jicama, pepper, etc.At my Open House the other day the Salsa didn't go over as well as I hoped. I had bought a number of Mangos to make more salsa but didn't need to. But everyone loved the Mango and Veggie Wedger. So I peeled a number of Mangoes demonstrating the mango wedger. I ended up putting the Mangoes in the MFP to demonstrate how well it cut up the food. I ended up with 3 cups of chopped mango, which I froze in 1 cup portions. The next evening I made a mango smoothie using the frozen mangoes -- they were delish!

Hi! Maybe this is addressed elsewhere, but... does your MFP make noise when you are pumping the handle? Mine is making a grinding noise that makes me a little uneasy...keep wondering if I am placing it wrong or something. Tried chopping onions with it and it worked great. I also think it will be easier to clean than the FC but I don't like the grinding noise. Wondering if I need to order a replacement lid. Thanks for the help!!

Yvette

yvettescooking said:
Hi! Maybe this is addressed elsewhere, but... does your MFP make noise when you are pumping the handle? Mine is making a grinding noise that makes me a little uneasy...keep wondering if I am placing it wrong or something. Tried chopping onions with it and it worked great. I also think it will be easier to clean than the FC but I don't like the grinding noise. Wondering if I need to order a replacement lid. Thanks for the help!!

Yvette
Yes it makes a noise. Don't be worried!

yvettescooking said:

Yvette

Yes, it makes noise. I had to hold my phone up to mine b/c my D had the same concern about hers. She said mine sounded just like hers.

I used it to make salsa: roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro...it all worked great!

Okay so I made the Artichoke Tapenade from the SB for our recipe exchange last night. Does anyone's lid fit so snug you can't get it off??? I could not get it off. Had to get hubby (who is very strong). I have nails vs he doesn't but he had to pry the lid off a sliver at a time. If I'm using it on my own/dirty hands (from cooking) I can't get my lid off. I have to have ubber clean super dry hands to even think about it.
Its only okay right now. I'm not really happy with it. But a tip for the artichokes- cut them in half if not into thirds before adding. I had to do the recipe in 2 batches even though recipes says one.

Nope no problem getting my lid off at all. In fact the first time I used it I thought it was funny that it didn't screw on or something but realized it didn't matter.

jbdowd0798 said:
Okay so I made the Artichoke Tapenade from the SB for our recipe exchange last night. Does anyone's lid fit so snug you can't get it off??? I could not get it off. Had to get hubby (who is very strong). I have nails vs he doesn't but he had to pry the lid off a sliver at a time. If I'm using it on my own/dirty hands (from cooking) I can't get my lid off. I have to have ubber clean super dry hands to even think about it.
Its only okay right now. I'm not really happy with it. But a tip for the artichokes- cut them in half if not into thirds before adding. I had to do the recipe in 2 batches even though recipes says one.

I'd call HO and see what they say, because mine just sits on the top and fits just right so it stays put. It's zero effort to lift it off. I love that we don't have to twist it and struggle to line things up like a regular FP would.

jbdowd0798 said:

I use mine on almost a daily basis to make fruit ices and from time to time I have the same problem getting the top off. It's almost like it's vacuum-sealed on! I will say it most often happens when I'm using it for a prolonged period of time - like when I make 3 batches of fruit ice in a row. The top DOES come off, though, and otherwise the MFP seems to operate as it should, so I haven't really given it much thought. If this isn't supposed to happen, maybe I should contact HO. Hmmm...

Okay I just called HO and we are doing a product adjustment and sending me a label to ship this one back along with a new one. I was doing it on the phone with CS and was explaining what I was doing and such. Can't wait to get the new one and compare. I just won't be taking it to shows til I receive the new one and comfortable using it. I made the lady laugh when I said right now I have two options at my shows: one put food in it and never get it out OR if the lid does come off when I'm holding it the insurance policy will be used! haha :)

Cathy- you hit the nail on the head when you said its vaccuum sealed on!! Thats exactly what it feels like.

jbdowd0798 said:

We were making the confetti salsa at a cluster meeting and we couldn't get the lid off to save our lives. One consultant was using the handle to pull it off and I thought for sure it was going to break! Finally the lid came off in full force and no salsa went flying, but I was thinking "I can't demo this! Who will buy this if you can't open it easily??"

I used it to make the topping for the Apricot-Almond Baked Brie. Once I figured out that I needed to get the apricots started (with the kitchen shears), I was good to go- just put all the ingredients in, & voila! Done sooo fast!

Update- like I posted before- I did a pro. adj. and the new one arrived TODAY! Sooo much better. The lid just pops on and off without any problems. What a big difference already in the look and feel. Now going to try and make something with it today or tomorrow and see what the problem may have been.

Brenda.the.chef said:
We were making the confetti salsa at a cluster meeting and we couldn't get the lid off to save our lives. One consultant was using the handle to pull it off and I thought for sure it was going to break! Finally the lid came off in full force and no salsa went flying, but I was thinking "I can't demo this! Who will buy this if you can't open it easily??"

That's obviously something wrong with that particular one. Mine goes on and off with ease. Whoever that one belonged to should get an adjustment.

So far, I've only made the confetti salsa, but oh yum! And SO EASY! On my 2nd batch, I did put in the onion, and peppers and whizzed those up, dumped that in a bowl, then added my mango and whizzed it up. Then I poured into the bowl and mixed with the rest and added the juice and seasonings. Easy as pie!

My hosp. NED sent us a file of salsa recipes- so going to look through those and try some new ones.

I had a Spring Product Preview Open House today to show off the new products. I didn't make any food ahead of time -- just did a quick demo of both the Tomato Salsa (from the Use and Care) and the Mango Confetti Salsa. Of the 6 people who saw the demo, one already has a show booked at the end of the month, 2 booked shows in March to get the MFP for 60% off and one booked in April to get it at a discount! One of the March shows is kind of an Open House so we're going to do the salsa demos there too, but no other food. The other March show will be the 15-minute Fajitas in the DCB and salsa in the MFP.

So, I guess my point is HO was right and this is the hot new item of the season and a great booking tool!

Shari

I think my MFP is haunted. We have used it several times...LOVE IT however I have problem with the handle.

I put it in lock position and a few minutes later I hear it 'POP' in the kitchen. I go in to find the handle up in the ready to use position.

This has happened 6 times today. Anyone else seeing this issue?

My handle won't stay locked either.

If it won't stay locked, I'd call HO and have it replaced. Mine stays locked just fine. I LOVE this item. I already have people calling me just to order it!

I thought I had a problem with my handle popping up too, until I realized that you have to make sure the lock button is pushed all the way up. It makes a bigger click sound when you push it up to make sure it is locked. Try that first before calling HO.

jbdowd0798 said:
Update- like I posted before- I did a pro. adj. and the new one arrived TODAY! Sooo much better. The lid just pops on and off without any problems. What a big difference already in the look and feel. Now going to try and make something with it today or tomorrow and see what the problem may have been.

I might need to do that too. Mine was really hard to get off the other night too. I didn't notice it the first few times I used it but the other night it was really difficult! I'm using it at my show today, so we'll see what happens.

CathyP said:
I use mine on almost a daily basis to make fruit ices and from time to time I have the same problem getting the top off. It's almost like it's vacuum-sealed on! I will say it most often happens when I'm using it for a prolonged period of time - like when I make 3 batches of fruit ice in a row. The top DOES come off, though, and otherwise the MFP seems to operate as it should, so I haven't really given it much thought. If this isn't supposed to happen, maybe I should contact HO. Hmmm...

Just to let everyone know, I did contact CS and they put me through to the Test Kitchen. They said the cover should not be that difficult to take off. They're sending me a replacement with a shipping label to return the one I have. The new one is already on its way and I'll let you know how this one works once I get it.

I did that a bit ago and the new one seems to work well. :)

pamperedlinda said:
I might need to do that too. Mine was really hard to get off the other night too. I didn't notice it the first few times I used it but the other night it was really difficult! I'm using it at my show today, so we'll see what happens.

I used it again at my new consultants grand opening show on Saturday and literally had to pry the lid off! :eek: It seems like the more I use it the tighter the lid suctions on. Called HO and they are sending me a new one :love:

I had the same problem with the top getting water in it. Not happy at all.

Last edited:
OK, I'm getting converted! I pulled out the MFP over the Food Chopper to finely chop onions yesterday. No pounding, fast chopping, easy cleanup, and my 2.5 year old loves it. Both are dishwasher safe, but the MFP is easier to wash by hand. I wipe the lid with a soapy washcloth and rinse quickly without turning it completely over (keeps the water out of the lid).

Made Pineapple Salsa in mine last night - so quick and easy! I made it in two batches which fit perfectly in the MFP.

I'm not sure if mine "works" like it should. It makes a sound something like the salad spinner, so I think that's ok. I definitely think that the recipes have us put WAY too much in the cup to actually be able to have it process. I made the artichoke tapenade for our cluster meeting and there was NO WAY it would work with how much was in there. I had to dump half and do it in 2 batches. It also takes a lot longer to chop then I thought it would. If you don't take the parsley/cilantro off the stems, they just never chop and the stems wind around the center. Do I need another one or is this all normal? I'm not sold on it yet, so it's hard to "sell" it to others!!

As for the issue of too much in the bowl, I've found that chopping part of it before adding more ingredients works well. I haven't tried anything with parsley or cilantro, so I can't address that.

I'm loving the MFP to make all inclusive sandwiches--tuna with onion and pickles, then add mayo and mix with the mini scraper, or today I even used some of that imitation crab chunks with onions, then added mayo--all in one bowl. Very nice and easy cleanup. However, I sure wish the lid were submersible. I can hear some guests asks if water can get into the top, can't bacteria, which we then cannot clean out??

I think I am definately in love with the MFP and so is my 2 yr old son. I get it out an he comes running. I started using the saying so easy and durable a toddler can use it!

Attachments

• ethanmfp.jpg
    ethanmfp.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 481
LOVE MY MFP!!! I recently had a Sunday brunch show and we used it to make Savory Veggie Mini Quiches. We threw in the bacon, mushrooms and a few 3 inch chunks of zucchini. After we processed it we threw it in the batter bowl with the egg and cheese mixture and then filled them in the mini muffin pan lined with the pastry dough. Everyone went nuts! I sold 6 of them!!! Still looking for more recipes other than the salsa. I have gotten several emails asking for the quiche recipe from people who didn't even go to the show! I am not a fan of the chopper. MFP is my new love...but I need to do MORE with it!!! I have not had any problems with it! I had everyone chanting "Everyone needs a little MFP!!!" :)

I was NOT excited about this product at Spring Launch. Now that I have it in my hands, I like it a lot. I have never been a big fan of the Food Chopper. Too hard to clean and too loud with all the banging. I find myself actually wanting to use this product at home! That's a good thing.

gailz2 said:
I'm loving the MFP to make all inclusive sandwiches--tuna with onion and pickles, then add mayo and mix with the mini scraper, or today I even used some of that imitation crab chunks with onions, then added mayo--all in one bowl. Very nice and easy cleanup.

However, I sure wish the lid were submersible. I can hear some guests asks if water can get into the top, can't bacteria, which we then cannot clean out??

As long as they aren't putting it under water, or getting food ALL OVER it, there wouldn't be much "food" for the bacteria in there to feed on. You pull it off and wipe.

I do wish it was a little more sealed, but I think it would be fine. Might be a good question for the Test kitchen though.

I actually have two now. I got my first one free in December's promo....and bought the 2nd one from the Samples. That way I can keep mine in the kitchen AND my kit.

I did the same thing, Bobbi.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mom4angela
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
StewartKerr