• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the Manual Food Processor by Pampered Chef worth the hype?

In summary, the speaker wanted to start a thread for actual reviews of the product, rather than talking about other aspects of it. They tried making salsa, tuna salad, and strawberry ice using the product and shared their verdict on each dish. They also mentioned trying to chop frozen strawberries and how it worked well. They concluded by saying that the product is a fun addition to their kitchen and would recommend it, giving it 4 out of 5 chef hats. They also requested that comments on the review be based on actual use rather than just empty opinions. Another person commented on their experience using the product to chop pineapple and vegetables, saying it worked well but could have some drawbacks.
leftymac
I wanted to start this thread for actual reviews of use for this product as opposed to the other threads where people are talking about other aspects of it.

I got mine today and immediately went to make three things:

• Salsa
  • Tuna Salad
  • Strawberry Ice (from the new SBRC)

First up was the salsa.

I used the same salsa fresca recipe I've always used, that was in the Fall 07 catalog when the salad chopper came out, and is the same one that is on the PIG for the MFP, I believe. I've always made this salsa without measuring and just threw things in.

After wedging the onion on the Veggie Wedger (which worked wonders, and I even managed to cut the onion into 12 wedges), I placed 5 of them (2.5 normal wedges) into the MFP, with a handful of cilantro, and 2 cloves of garlic. The pump mechanism worked smoothly and I had no problem processing it until it was coarse. I then added 2 roma tomatoes cut into wedges on the veggie wedger and processed. The mixture immediately became very thick and I knew I couldn't add the remaining tomatoes without emptying it. So, I emptied that into a bowl and did the 2 other tomatoes. Add some lime juice and salt, and I had a tasty salsa.

Salsa Verdict: Delicious, but not the same consistency that I get when I do it with the salad chopper, though much easier on my hands. Next time, i'll do the tomatoes separate from the onions, or just make a smaller bitch. I do wish this machine were bigger. Some of my tomatoes weren't evenly chopped, but I think it was because I had too many in there.

Next up: Tuna Salad

I threw in a few wedges of onion that I cut before, and 2 sticks of celery that I cut into 4 pieces each. A few pumps later and it was a beautiful fine chop. Definitely recommend it for this. Then, I added 2 cans of drained solid white tuna and processed it all together. I like how it made the tuna nice and fine. If you like a chunkier tuna salad, don't process the tuna. Dumped it all into a bowl, added some mayonnaise and it was a great consistency. I didn't try processing it with the mayonnaise. I may have to do that next just to see. Then, just for fun, I added some Chili Lime Rub to the tuna. It gave it a nice flavor!

Tuna Salad Verdict: Great for this -- I love how nicely it chopped the onions and celery. I'll definitely use it again. But, I wish this machine were bigger. Three cups isn't a lot.

Finally, Strawberry Ice.

I followed this recipe exactly, except I may have used too many strawberries. Eventually some of the strawberries in the middle weren't getting processed. Once I added the sugar mixture though, they processed beautifully. I love the final texture of it and I can't wait to have some later. I love that it's the consistency of ice cream, so it's great for Weight Watchers. I'll definitely be making this often and trying other fruits!

Strawberry Ice Verdict: Get thee to the supermarket fast and buy some frozen fruit to make this!

As a final bonus, I had some additional frozen strawberries that I decided to process plain just to see if it would work in the MFP. It chopped them up quite nicely with no problem at all. I don't know what I'll do now with my tiny chunks of frozen strawberries though. I guess I'll just eat them.

Final Verdict
It's a fun machine, and I'm glad I have it -- even though I have a regular food processor. It certainly won't replace my full-size, but it's a nice companion to it. I definitely love it better than the FC for cutting up onions, celery, etc. I'm looking forward to trying it again for other things, and for redoing my salsa later on.

I don't think it will revolutionize our shows, but I do think it will enable us to do fun things. The strawberry ice alone is perfect for the summer. It's definitely something I would recommend. I'd give it 4 out of 5 chef hats.

Now, I ask that you share your comments on my review, or reviews of your actual use. How about we refrain from empty comments such as "I think it sucks" or "I think it's great!" unless you have actual examples to back it up.

I'm such a teacher. I embrace it.

So I watched you do this and you forgot to let them know that yes you can chop Pineapple in it and it is so so but could get the job done...

I used it the other day for some veggies and it worked good I am glad they did bring it out but I would love it to be a bit larger.

Now if a person wanted to get wild with it you could lever it so much where you could have baby food I know at our spring launch they said no more over processing and getting baby food but I disagree.

So my over all comment is how wonderful of a review and it was very exciting watching your own kitchen show and how well this could work for many different recipes.

Yes, Christina watched me do all these recipes via FaceTime chat, so it was like a real cooking show!The pineapple came out just fine. I've cut pineapple before with the Salad Chopper for the pineapple salsa and it got all frothy. Done in the MFP, it's still a little frothy, but nowhere near as much as with the SC. I still think the pineapple salsa recipe is best done with a knife.

Strawberry Ice: I think I am going to cheat, since I don't have the MFP, and use this recipe in my NON manual food processor! I have frozen strawberries AND frozen mango up there, so I'll try it on both. Won't be useful for shows, but will be yummy just the same and make room in my freezer! I don't feel compelled to run out and get it because I rarely use my regular food processor ... but for celery? I'm in. I hate mayo and won't be making the tuna salad but I find it kind of pointless to use my food chopper for celery. By the time you cut the pieces small enough to fit under it, you might as well keep using the knife.

christinaspc said:
Now if a person wanted to get wild with it you could lever it so much where you could have baby food I know at our spring launch they said no more over processing and getting baby food but I disagree.

I actually used mine to make baby food. My LO is eating chunkier foods so it worked quite well (cooked squash with rice). I love the SC for salsa so I will have to wait and see if I like this better. I honestly don't think that it will revoluntionize our shows but I do think that some people will absolutely love this.
On a side note a few weeks ago I sold a Food Chopper to someone who wanted one to replace her TW little processor thingy because she hated it.

What we discovered with the salsa is that you cannot finely chop the first part (onions, cilantro, etc). Chop a few times to get a course chop and combined. Then add the tomatoes in. It made a better consistency than finely chopping the first part.

wadesgirl said:
What we discovered with the salsa is that you cannot finely chop the first part (onions, cilantro, etc). Chop a few times to get a course chop and combined. Then add the tomatoes in. It made a better consistency than finely chopping the first part.

Thanks..that's good to know. I probably chopped it too much in the beginning because I got eager.

We unexpectedly had 2 of our grand children over night last night. We found ourselves w/o apple sauce for the baby. I was both lazy in not wanting to go out and also wanted to do something with the MFP. It worked very well making a smooth apple sauce. I did find that I had to make more than I wanted to. I tried a quarter apple first but there was not enough volume to process well. 1/2 an apple was enough to get a smooth sauce. Tomorrow the Turkey and Pesto.

leftymac said:
Thanks..that's good to know. I probably chopped it too much in the beginning because I got eager.

We did the same thing because we were passing it around and playing with it at our meeting. So we made another batch and it turned out much better.

I also tried the salsa with roma tomatoes although the recipe called for grape or cherry (can't remember which). I too had bigger chunks of tomato than I would have liked and it was a little frothy. And I over did it with the onion (as in I used too much).

I'm eager to give it a go with some other stuff. Love the tuna salad idea. I usually buy mango peach salsa, so maybe that's up next.

I just used my MFP to chop celery & onion for macaroni salad. I'm addicted & might possibly retire my FC. :)

I used my MFP today for the first time and yes it worked, but I am not happy. I chopped some carrots and now the bowl is discoloured. At first I thought it was just my eyes but no, it is discoloured. What's with that? How can I demo this at shows and be positive about it. :thumbdown:

did you use the dishwasher? would a baking soda paste work on it? I just got mine today and look forward to trying a few things tomorrow but I feel it is way overpriced and won't be a huge seller.

I'm so excited!

We're slowly shifting to a more grain-free diet. (the little guy is highly carb-sensitive) Tonight, one of my favorite bloggers posted this grain-free cracker recipe, and most of it is supposed to be pulsed in a food processor. I can hardly wait until tomorrow to make them!

Gluten Free, Grain Free Multigrain Crackers Recipe | Elana's Pantry

Decided to make the Strawberry Ice which turned out to be very good but at the same time noticed the staining wasn't only on the bowl but the lid too. Called HQ to report the issue and a new one is being shipped out. I have a show Friday so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new one arrives by then. I looked back through the Product Use and no mention of possible staining. I am hoping someone else will try the carrots and tell me it hasn't happened to them and that mine is an isolated case.

Mine didn't stain at all, and I even left the lid on the counter with strawberry stuff on it for a while.

Did you have any problem with the fact that the lid doesn't lock onto the bowl? I haven't had time to use my MFP yet but I am concerend about that little detail.

jbondr said:
Did you have any problem with the fact that the lid doesn't lock onto the bowl? I haven't had time to use my MFP yet but I am concerend about that little detail.

Nope. There's no need for it to lock.

I LOVE IT! I made egg salad this morning and those eggs were done in NO TIME! I can't wait to keep trying new things in it! It's fantastic!

quiverfull7 said:
I LOVE IT! I made egg salad this morning and those eggs were done in NO TIME! I can't wait to keep trying new things in it! It's fantastic!

Did you process the egg salad with the mayonnaise, or just stir it in afterwards after the eggs were chopped?

I haven't had a chance to test mine out yet. But one comment from your review had me giggling!

leftymac said:
Salsa Verdict: Delicious, but not the same consistency that I get when I do it with the salad chopper, though much easier on my hands. Next time, i'll do the tomatoes separate from the onions, or just make a smaller bitch.

:D Heeheehee!

Aurora said:
I haven't had a chance to test mine out yet. But one comment from your review had me giggling!

Yeah hehe. I think most of us were trying to graciously over look that.

(but I did have to read it to my wife hehe)

leftymac said:
Mine didn't stain at all, and I even left the lid on the counter with strawberry stuff on it for a while.

Sorry, mine didn't stain from the strawberries, it was earlier when processing carrots

I used the MFP to chop 3 cups of pretzels for the Choc PB Crunch Bars. I hate that using the meat tenderizer & the plastic bag always makes a pretzel dust mess on the counter (& at shows!) I put in 1 cup of pretzels & chopped them up in 3 batches. It worked well for my recipe, with minimum pretzel dust in the bowl!

I made a salad tonight and my 8 yr old was so excited he was bubbling bc he wanted to use the MFP, it was one of those had to be there moments it was so cutewe started with 3 eggs and then worked up to 5 and it did them swimmingly!!!It was also easy for him to pull the blades out, set them on the counter and dump the eggs into the salad.(didnt put mayo in it so cant help you with that)I do think that it being kid friendly is a def plus and a great selling item!!!

Aurora said:

It must've been subliminal -- telling myself I need to be less of one!

Nah, never.

I made pesto in the MFP for chicken, tomato, and pesto flatbread. It worked fabulously even when I forgot to add the pecans until the end. I was amazed how well it chopped and mixed the basil. It took about 45 seconds all together to make it. Easy clean up too. Love it.

I noticed that for me it seems easier to hold it with my right hand and push the handle away from me with my left hand. Something about the pushing towards me with my right hand that sort of hurt my hand - but I do have bad wrists.

SonyaVerrillo said:
I used the MFP to chop 3 cups of pretzels for the Choc PB Crunch Bars. I hate that using the meat tenderizer & the plastic bag always makes a pretzel dust mess on the counter (& at shows!) I put in 1 cup of pretzels & chopped them up in 3 batches. It worked well for my recipe, with minimum pretzel dust in the bowl!

that brings up the thought- I have to make the chicken enchilada ring- it calls for crushed tortilla chips- I can use that!
normally it makes such a mess

leftymac said:
Did you process the egg salad with the mayonnaise, or just stir it in afterwards after the eggs were chopped?

I did not try that. Guess I should have. I was just so thrilled with how great the eggs were, I just stirred it together with a scraper and wa la ... done! :)

I made a chicken salad in the MFP and while it didn't like chopping the chicken (I had cubed it but it was still somewhat warm), it eventually did a good job of it. I added salt and mayo at the end and it did mix the mayo in well.

My thought process in adding it in the MFP is that I didn't want to dirty another bowl and I like the serving bowl to be "clean" - you know, just put the food in it, garnish and serve; not mix after in the bowl.

SonyaVerrillo said:

I am really excited for this tip! Thanks!!!

Mine's still not here! Aaaaagh!!!!

First, I made some salsa with grape tomatoes.... worked WONDERFUL... then last night, I chopped eggs in it for english pea salad... I was AMAZED at how good it chopped them, then clean up was super easy... Usually, I do the eggs with my chopper, then its hard to clean, but not with the MFP... I love this thing....

I chuckled at the comment about it being too expensive. Several of the people I've shown the mini-catalog to have asked questions about it and then commented about how inexpensive it is. Everything's relative.I love it. I made my favorite salsa recipe (the one on the SW Seasoning Mix), and it worked fabulously. i used the Veggie Wedger* first to get the tomatoes to a manageable size. *A friend keeps calling this the Veggie Wedgie, and I have to stop myself to keep from calling it that.

raebates said:
I chuckled at the comment about it being too expensive. Several of the people I've shown the mini-catalog to have asked questions about it and then commented about how inexpensive it is. Everything's relative.

I love it. I made my favorite salsa recipe (the one on the SW Seasoning Mix), and it worked fabulously. i used the Veggie Wedger* first to get the tomatoes to a manageable size.

*A friend keeps calling this the Veggie Wedgie, and I have to stop myself to keep from calling it that.

Isn't it bad how one comment can make you think that way! I will never again say at a show when talking about cooking chicken in the DCB "it depends on the size of your breasts". One guest looked at me and said "well mine (big) or yours (tiny)?!" I cannot talk about chicken in the DCB without thinking of that.

Or the fact that the mini scoop and measure looks like a boob when looking at the top! Someone pointed that out when we had them for HWC. They thought they were designed that way since it was for HWC.

I made a blueberry ice in my MFP last night and it was super easy and tasty. It was a little watery but I think I nuked the berries a little too long. I also rinsed the MFP immediately after b/c I was concerned about the blueberry juice staining it. It rinsed clean, but I'd be nervous about letting it sit for a while. Something to remember if I use blueberries, carrots, or other potentially staining foods at a show. Normally I just throw all my dirty tools into a tub and wash them when I get home.

raebates said:
*A friend keeps calling this the Veggie Wedgie, and I have to stop myself to keep from calling it that.

See, I hadn't thought of that but I sort of like that name for it. Good for a laugh at the shows and guests might be more likely to remember it when ordering? I dunno. :)

pattybrady said:
I made a blueberry ice in my MFP last night and it was super easy and tasty. It was a little watery but I think I nuked the berries a little too long. I also rinsed the MFP immediately after b/c I was concerned about the blueberry juice staining it. It rinsed clean, but I'd be nervous about letting it sit for a while. Something to remember if I use blueberries, carrots, or other potentially staining foods at a show. Normally I just throw all my dirty tools into a tub and wash them when I get home.

The strawberry recipe called for the fruit to be slightly thawed so I'm wondering if with blueberries, you might not need to thaw them at all since they are so much smaller.

wadesgirl said:
The strawberry recipe called for the fruit to be slightly thawed so I'm wondering if with blueberries, you might not need to thaw them at all since they are so much smaller.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too...the size difference between strawberries and blueberries would mean no, or minimal, thawing required for blueberries.

raebates said:
I love it. I made my favorite salsa recipe (the one on the SW Seasoning Mix), and it worked fabulously. i used the Veggie Wedger* first to get the tomatoes to a manageable size.

Salsa? I only see a dip & taco filling...???
Is it an old bottle? what's the recipe?:chef:

My 3 y.o. grandson used it when I needed to cut up some onions and pickles to add to tuna--he had no problem using it. I also used it today when I was quickly making some tomato-type sauce to go with some store-bought meatballs with sauce. I thought I had more sauce at home, but only a can of diced tomatoes. After I cooked them for awhile, and wanted it quick, I decided to use the MFP, it worked like a charm to sauce it up!!

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm so excited!

We're slowly shifting to a more grain-free diet. (the little guy is highly carb-sensitive) Tonight, one of my favorite bloggers posted this grain-free cracker recipe, and most of it is supposed to be pulsed in a food processor. I can hardly wait until tomorrow to make them!

Gluten Free, Grain Free Multigrain Crackers Recipe | Elana's Pantry

I used the MFP to make these crackers today, and it worked really well!

I also used it to chop onions and potatoes for a casserole, and it worked beautifully for that too.

I think someone already mentioned this but I used it to chop up the pineapple for the Sweet & Sour Shrimp in the DCB cookbook. Worked like a charm! I always hated dicing pineapple.

I used it to make the fresh pineapple salsa. I made a lot of it, so I did the coarser ingredients first, emptied them into my small batter bowl and then did the pineapple and tomato, lime juice etc and then just mixed it all together in the batter bowl. I do not mind having to do that. I was happy to be able to chop and mix so quickly.

I do WW and have been on an egg white veggie omelet kick lately. So, this product has been wonderful for me. I cut a green pepper with the vedgie wedger(which worked nicely) and then added so me pieces of onions and mushrooms. MY neighbor happend to be over, so I let her have the honors of pushing the handle down! LOL! SHe booked a catalog party for March because she wants to get one now! Anyways, I made enough veggies to fill a 2 cup prep bowl, so now I have my ingredients ready to go for my omelets for the next few days.! LOVE IT!!!!!

I want to try the strawbeery ice too. I have some frozen strawberries in my freezer, so that is next on my list.

Love the idea of throwing the pretzels in there too!

I sometimes make my kids homemade chicken nuggets using fresh chicken breasts and coat them in crushed up croutons. Going to try the croutons in there too! I be that will work nice!!

My 11-year-old son and I used it to make a small batch of the Strawberry Ice. I had some frozen mixed fruit that we used instead of the strawberries, but otherwise, we followed the recipe exactly. He said it was wonderful and tasted much better than the Fruit Chillers that I've bought at the store before. He said this tasted like real fruit. I was pleased that it had almost no sugar and was a very healthy frozen dessert. Also, the MFP was simple to use and simple to clean!

We used it yesterday to make the Strawberry Ice. I don't know if my strawberries were a bit too hard, but it was a bit difficult to get the big chunks chopped. It did work eventually, but long after I felt that it should've. It was the perfect consistency when done though, and the boys loved it. I will definitely be keeping this recipe around. They thought they had the greatest mommy in the world for giving them Ice Cream for a snack. Next time I will leave the sugar out, as I don't really feel like it was needed, and then they will really have a healthy snack.

I'm making Grilled Chicken Penne Alfresco at my show tonight and am going to run the grape tomatoes and garlic through it to chunk them up a bit first. Also taking the new small grater along for them to use to add extra parmesan to their pasta.

RE: making salsa - I liked how uniform the ingredients were all chopped when compared to the salad choppers. However I feel that if I have a large group of guests, I might have a batch made ahead of time and then demo in the MFP as it doesn't make as much as I usually do with the salad choppers. I can do an entire container of grape tomatoes/onion/etc. at once whereas it wouldn't all fit in the MFP.

I agree that extra bowls would be nice. Perhaps not lids as it might stain (as some have mentioned.)

I made tuna salad w/carrots, orange pepper, celery, cucumber and onion. I was very impressed. Processed a bit and then added mayo and black pepper and processed it some more. Very tasty.

However, I was not happy with the clean up. I ran water over the lid while washing it (I did not submerge it) and a lot of water got into the lid/mechanism which I could hear when I shaked it. I'm not too happy about that design piece. Seems like the lid should be wipe not wash so to speak... Anyone else have this experience or thoughts.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mom4angela
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
StewartKerr
Replies