• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Handling a Product Return from a Customer: Advice and Exchange Options

In summary, the conversation is about a customer who is unhappy with a Pampered Chef product and wants to exchange it for another item. The best course of action is for the customer to call Home Office (HO) to handle the return and exchange, especially if it is past the 30-day return period. It is also important for the seller to follow up with the customer to ensure the transaction is completed and the customer is satisfied. There are different opinions on whether the seller should act as the middleman for returns, with some preferring to handle all returns for their customers and others suggesting that the customer should call HO directly. Ultimately, providing good customer service is the priority, and the seller should do what works best for their business and their customers.
TJMagoo
I just received the below email from a customer of mine and I'm not sure how to handle this. This is a first for me so any advice or help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I just had a quick question for you. You know how I love my Pampered Chef :) , and I've not had too many complaints. But I do have an item that I'm not happy with, and wondered if I could exchange it for something else. I bought the rotary cheese grater (from Amanda's party) and used it only once. It's just not what I expected; I don't like how fine it grates the cheese and will probably never use it. It was like $19.50....I was wondering if I could return it and get the multiplane course grater thats $26 and just pay the difference.

How long ago was the show shipped? If it's within the first 30 days, she can return it and not have to pay for the shipping. It's easiest if the customer calls HO when they are wanting to return for a refund or do an exchange, because she can give HO the payment info and address, etc, and answer any questions they have. If it's after the 30 days, she can still return it, but they may ask her to ship back the item first at her expense. It's best to have her call and they'll take good care of her.

She bought it in March, well past 30 days.

Yeah, let HO talk with her. If there's a price difference between the products, then she can give them her payment info. And this way they can give her instructions on returning the item. It's nice to politely hand them off to HO so you don't get caught in the middle of things. And it sounds like she is a super nice and friendly customer, so she'll probably be fine with that.

Sounds easy enough to me. Thank you for the info!

I agree with Amanda! I also agree with the customer. That rotary grater is probably one of my least favorite items.

I agree; was inventorying my stash this weekend & found I have one NIB (yea!) for when the one in my kitchen croaks.

From a customer service standpoint- I think you should call Home Office for her.

heather223 said:
From a customer service standpoint- I think you should call Home Office for her.

I do that within the first 30 days, but beyond that it can be very frustrating on both sides for me to act as the middleman in the transaction. Especially when there's a question of paying for the price difference of an item. I often end up playing phone tag.

NooraK said:
I do that within the first 30 days, but beyond that it can be very frustrating on both sides for me to act as the middleman in the transaction. Especially when there's a question of paying for the price difference of an item. I often end up playing phone tag.

I agree....since it has an exchange. It would just be simpler for both parties. She can still provide good customer service by first giving her the details and making sure she has the receipt/show info. Then also following up with her to make sure she received the new product, etc.

If it's within the first 30 days, I will usually get the product from the customer and take care of the returning. This tells my customer that I really want them to be happy and it often results in a booking.If they want to send a product back and get something else resulting in additional money, I tell them to call HO and skip the middleman (me) to make things quicker and easier. I always follow up to make sure the transaction has gone through and they are happy...sometimes even this will result in a booking, but not always.

I am sorry if I am disagreeing with everyone on this- but I do all returns for my customers. If they purchased the product from me and it is still within the guarantee period I will call the HO for them, make any necessary arrangements, and then send the product(s) back. I don't feel like a middle man and I don't have to play phone tag. I have many repeat customers and they consistently tell me it is because of the service I provide. This is just my opinion and how I choose to run my business.

heather223 said:
I am sorry if I am disagreeing with everyone on this- but I do all returns for my customers. If they purchased the product from me and it is still within the guarantee period I will call the HO for them, make any necessary arrangements, and then send the product(s) back. I don't feel like a middle man and I don't have to play phone tag. I have many repeat customers and they consistently tell me it is because of the service I provide. This is just my opinion and how I choose to run my business.

I didn't want to come across as saying what you're doing is wrong. I think it's wonderful that you are able to do that for your customers, and I do strive to do it as much as I can. I do also have a full-time job, a husband that travels 75% of the time, and a toddler anda pre-schooler. Finding time to even run my business these days is tough, so I choose to handle it a bit differently sometimes.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I am hopping onto this one w/my comment/question. The host that called me after 1 AM wants to send back a micro chip maker (she has discovered the person she was going to give it to for Christmas does not want it) she told me two products she wants to replace it with. I've gone through the process explaining everything in detail for HO including the fact that I have the product and will take care of sending it back. My last e-mail told them the exchange products wanted & asked if there would be a charge as my host wants to know before the exchange is completed. The e-mail I received from HO said the adjustment has been processed and the smart post label was sent to XXX e-mail. This e-mail is not familiar to me as it is not my host's nor mine. Of course I did not receive any e-mail from FedEx. My question as to the cost was not addressed. I have no clue what is going on, so I replied restating my question and repeating all the information about the exchange. (of course it is all there in the previous e-mails). Anyone ever have something like this happen?

byrd1956 said:
I didn't want to start a whole new thread so I am hopping onto this one w/my comment/question. The host that called me after 1 AM wants to send back a micro chip maker (she has discovered the person she was going to give it to for Christmas does not want it) she told me two products she wants to replace it with. I've gone through the process explaining everything in detail for HO including the fact that I have the product and will take care of sending it back. My last e-mail told them the exchange products wanted & asked if there would be a charge as my host wants to know before the exchange is completed. The e-mail I received from HO said the adjustment has been processed and the smart post label was sent to XXX e-mail. This e-mail is not familiar to me as it is not my host's nor mine. Of course I did not receive any e-mail from FedEx. My question as to the cost was not addressed. I have no clue what is going on, so I replied restating my question and repeating all the information about the exchange. (of course it is all there in the previous e-mails). Anyone ever have something like this happen?
Just call them (HO). This kind of thing takes too long doing it via email. Maybe you'll have to sit on hold a little while but then you'll have the answers the same day vs days of emails back and forth.

byrd1956 said:
Anyone ever have something like this happen?
Yes, I had this happen over confusion of an apple corer vs apple wedger. What a mess. This was about a couple years ago and the price difference ended up being around $2. It took a gazillion calls to HO because you can't do it online or through email, really. Beth's right, it will take forever if you try it through email. Ask to speak to someone else if whoever you get doesn't know how to do it. That's what I finally ended up doing.

They did ship the label out to the correct address quickly - this was back when they still mailed them instead of email. My customer put in a check for $2 and that's where the fun began. The apple wedger never showed up, and I never got a call or email why, and neither did she.

So about 3 weeks later, I called. They said they never got the check! Finally I got someone to take a credit card payment for it over the phone. They never did cash her check (I suspect whoever opened her return threw it away) and she ended up giving me $2 a few months later when she was at another party:D They kept acting like she needed to send another check or pay with credit card, and I was all, no, I am not going to bug my customer about this again, I will pay the $2 to you today to get it settled.

So yes, you do need to get the price difference upfront. My advice is to give them a credit card number right then on the phone and have your customer pay you back.

...and if the person who answers the phone doesn't know how to do any of this, ask them to get a coworker or supervisor who does know, to help them. I think PC hires holiday help who aren't trained on the more complicated stuff like this. Or they were trained & have never done one yet & need help.

heather223 said:

Yes, I call for my customers.
The folks who tell me they got something that broke & they don't remember the host or the consultant or what year they bought it? Those, I direct to HO.

Update. I actually got a reply the same day as my last e-mail to HO. Mailed the product back today and soon all will be well. The weird e-mail address was not mentioned.... Calling may be quicker, but many times I cannot get to work at this 2nd. job till too late to call. Thanks for all your comments.

What is the return policy for products?

The return policy for products varies depending on the store or company from which the product was purchased. Some stores may offer a full refund within a certain time frame, while others may only offer store credit or exchanges. It is important to check the return policy before making a purchase.

How do I initiate a return for a product?

The process for initiating a return may also vary depending on the store or company. Typically, you will need to contact customer service or visit the store's website to begin the return process. You may be required to provide information such as your order number, reason for return, and proof of purchase.

Can I return a product if it has been used?

Some stores may allow returns for used products, while others may only accept returns for items in their original, unopened packaging. It is important to check the return policy or contact customer service to determine if a used product is eligible for return.

Do I need to pay for return shipping?

It depends on the store's return policy. Some stores may provide a prepaid return label or cover the cost of return shipping, while others may require the customer to pay for return shipping. Again, it is important to check the return policy before initiating a return.

How long does it take to receive a refund for a returned product?

The time it takes to receive a refund for a returned product may vary depending on the store or company. Some may process refunds immediately, while others may take several days or weeks. If you have not received a refund within a reasonable amount of time, it is best to contact customer service for further assistance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • sherid
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
AnaCash
  • loreo