• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Returned Check Advice: Understanding Bank Fees and Protecting Your Business

In summary, my bank charged me $12 for the returned check AND $33 because it caused my account to go overdrawn. Apparently she had her checks stolen and had to close the account and she thought I had already deposited it. Does anyone know the rules and or procedures on this? I looked on the back of our receipt and there is nothing about returned checks. I would think that PC would put something on their to protect us. I feel the lady should at least have to pay the $12 fee, but I don't want to call her and she tells me "well there was nothing in writing regarding returned checks" or something like that. Any advice is appreciated.Well, I called her today and
linojackie
I had a customer's check come back last week for the first time. My bank charged me $12 for the returned check AND $33 because it caused my account to go overdrawn. Apparently she had her checks stolen and had to close the account and she thought I had already deposited it.

Does anyone know the rules and or procedures on this? I looked on the back of our receipt and there is nothing about returned checks. I would think that PC would put something on their to protect us. I feel the lady should at least have to pay the $12 fee, but I don't want to call her and she tells me "well there was nothing in writing regarding returned checks" or something like that. Any advice is appreciated.

check w/your local gov't b/c here in Arkansas it is law they have to pay fees for a returned check & if it has to be collected by them then there are more fees added to it.

linojackie said:
I had a customer's check come back last week for the first time. My bank charged me $12 for the returned check AND $33 because it caused my account to go overdrawn. Apparently she had her checks stolen and had to close the account and she thought I had already deposited it.

Does anyone know the rules and or procedures on this? I looked on the back of our receipt and there is nothing about returned checks. I would think that PC would put something on their to protect us. I feel the lady should at least have to pay the $12 fee, but I don't want to call her and she tells me "well there was nothing in writing regarding returned checks" or something like that. Any advice is appreciated.

I found this on a website for California and it states:

The Cashiers Office will notify and bill you if your check is returned by the bank for non-payment. The University of California, as the recipient of a returned check, is allowed to charge $25.00 for the first returned check and $35.00 for each subsequent check. After the third returned check, payment must be made by cash, cashier’s check or money order. (According to Section 1719 of The California Civil Code.)

So every state has some sort of a code or law in regards to this. It applies to our businesses even if we don't have something in writing to show them. You can always type something up and send it to her. It is a criminal matter. Not that you would say that but any business can enforce this, so we can too. We can actually add any fee we want to cover our expenses for this, or amounts that we were charged by our bank. As far as your overdraft amount, that is not really her fault. But the fee the bank charged you plus the amount of the check is fair and what she should pay. Some places charge $35, my bank charges $25. So hope this helps!

Debbie :chef:

I just had a returned check today too...:mad::cry: luckily my bank only charges $5... wonder if I can charge her gas on top of that since she lives about 30 miles from me and I just know she's gonna make me drive out there (for the third time!) to get payment! Trust me it's gonna be guaranteed funds or cash! UNLUCKILY, it was the host's check and she already has her order!

LBurke said:
I just had a returned check today too...:mad::cry: luckily my bank only charges $5... wonder if I can charge her gas on top of that since she lives about 30 miles from me and I just know she's gonna make me drive out there (for the third time!) to get payment! Trust me it's gonna be guaranteed funds or cash! UNLUCKILY, it was the host's check and she already has her order!

You can ask her for a credit card over the phone and call HO to do a "Change payemnt"

Well, I called her today and didn't receive a phone call back. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, and hoping maybe she's just on vacation, but something tells me this is not going to be a pleasant experience! On the plus side, the host agreed not to deliver her order until this has been resolved.

1. What is a returned check fee?

A returned check fee is a charge imposed by a bank when a check written by a customer is not honored due to insufficient funds or other reasons. This fee is typically the responsibility of the person or business who wrote the check.

2. How much is a returned check fee?

The amount of a returned check fee varies depending on the bank and the specific account. It can range from $20 to $40 or more. Some banks may also charge additional fees for each day the account remains overdrawn.

3. Can I avoid returned check fees?

Yes, you can avoid returned check fees by ensuring that you have enough funds in your account before writing a check. You can also set up overdraft protection or link your account to a savings account to cover any potential overdrafts.

4. How can returned check fees impact my business?

Returned check fees can have a negative impact on your business by causing a loss of revenue and damaging your relationship with customers. Additionally, if too many checks are returned, it could hurt your business's credit score and make it more difficult to obtain financing in the future.

5. What can I do to protect my business from returned check fees?

To protect your business from returned check fees, consider using electronic payments or credit/debit cards instead of accepting checks. You can also implement a strict check acceptance policy and use check verification services to reduce the risk of accepting bad checks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cheflorraine
  • linojackie