• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Returned check advice?

linojackie

Jan 29, 2007
I had a customer's check come back last week for the first time. My bank charged me $12 for the returned check AND $33 because it caused my account to go overdrawn. Apparently she had her checks stolen and had to close the account and she thought I had already deposited it.

Does anyone know the rules and or procedures on this? I looked on the back of our receipt and there is nothing about returned checks. I would think that PC would put something on their to protect us. I feel the lady should at least have to pay the $12 fee, but I don't want to call her and she tells me "well there was nothing in writing regarding returned checks" or something like that. Any advice is appreciated.

kaseydee

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2007
check w/your local gov't b/c here in Arkansas it is law they have to pay fees for a returned check & if it has to be collected by them then there are more fees added to it.

DebbieSAChef

Jan 17, 2006
I had a customer's check come back last week for the first time. My bank charged me $12 for the returned check AND $33 because it caused my account to go overdrawn. Apparently she had her checks stolen and had to close the account and she thought I had already deposited it.

Does anyone know the rules and or procedures on this? I looked on the back of our receipt and there is nothing about returned checks. I would think that PC would put something on their to protect us. I feel the lady should at least have to pay the $12 fee, but I don't want to call her and she tells me "well there was nothing in writing regarding returned checks" or something like that. Any advice is appreciated.

I found this on a website for California and it states:

The Cashiers Office will notify and bill you if your check is returned by the bank for non-payment. The University of California, as the recipient of a returned check, is allowed to charge $25.00 for the first returned check and $35.00 for each subsequent check. After the third returned check, payment must be made by cash, cashier’s check or money order. (According to Section 1719 of The California Civil Code.)

So every state has some sort of a code or law in regards to this. It applies to our businesses even if we don't have something in writing to show them. You can always type something up and send it to her. It is a criminal matter. Not that you would say that but any business can enforce this, so we can too. We can actually add any fee we want to cover our expenses for this, or amounts that we were charged by our bank. As far as your overdraft amount, that is not really her fault. But the fee the bank charged you plus the amount of the check is fair and what she should pay. Some places charge $35, my bank charges $25. So hope this helps!

Debbie :chef:

LBurke

Jun 5, 2007
I just had a returned check today too...:mad::cry: luckily my bank only charges $5... wonder if I can charge her gas on top of that since she lives about 30 miles from me and I just know she's gonna make me drive out there (for the third time!) to get payment! Trust me it's gonna be guaranteed funds or cash! UNLUCKILY, it was the host's check and she already has her order!

dannyzmom

Legend Member
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2005
I just had a returned check today too...:mad::cry: luckily my bank only charges $5... wonder if I can charge her gas on top of that since she lives about 30 miles from me and I just know she's gonna make me drive out there (for the third time!) to get payment! Trust me it's gonna be guaranteed funds or cash! UNLUCKILY, it was the host's check and she already has her order!

You can ask her for a credit card over the phone and call HO to do a "Change payemnt"

linojackie

Jan 29, 2007
Well, I called her today and didn't receive a phone call back. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt, and hoping maybe she's just on vacation, but something tells me this is not going to be a pleasant experience! On the plus side, the host agreed not to deliver her order until this has been resolved.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cookindiva63
Replies
Views
byrd1956
Replies
Views
kam
Replies
Views