• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Beef Stew Recipe Help: Adjusting Cooking Time for 1 lb Meat

In summary, the recipe calls for 1 lb beef stew meat and recommends cooking it for 1 hour, stirring and cooking for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until tender. The recipe can be cooked in the oven or in the microwave.
BethCooks4U
Gold Member
Help! I'm making one of the new recipes and it calls for 3 lb beef stew meat - cook for 1 hour, stir and cook for 2 1/2 -3 hours until tender.

I'm doing it with just 1 lb beef stew meat. So how long do I cook it? The recipe says DCB, covered in the oven.

Can I move it to the microwave? Will it get tender?

I don't see beef getting tender in the microwave like the chicken or pork does. I had a guest at a show last night (a previous host) tell me she tried beef in her DCB in the microwave and it was tough. Maybe others have tried it with better results.

I've tried beef in the dcb as well and it does NOT work and then I was mad that I wasted it.

Remember, stewing beef is normally tough cuts of beef. Tough cuts need long, gentle braising to break down the muscle and produce tender results. Microwave cooking is not the way to go .. no matter what a Microwave cookbook might say.

I agree (about doing it in the micorwave) - just thought I'd check if I was being old school or if it was still so.

Well it cooked TENDER in less than 2 hours in the DCB (covered as the recipe says) in the oven and was absolutely melt in your mouth delicious! The recipe is: Rustic Itilian Beef Stew from the new "all new soups, stews & chilis" cookbook. I also made the Polenta that they suggest serving with it from cook's tips on the page. VERY good! It's really more a winter recipe (95 degrees here) but DH wanted to try it - lol.

I cut the recipe in 1/3 to account for the smaller amount of meat I wanted to cook and it worked out great. I also substituded our Rosemary Herb seasoning for the fresh rosemary.

1. How do I adjust the serving size for the beef stew recipe?

To adjust the serving size for the beef stew recipe, simply double or triple the ingredients listed in the recipe. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 pound of beef, use 2 or 3 pounds for a larger batch. You can also use a kitchen scale to measure out the exact amount needed for your desired serving size.

2. Can I use different cuts of beef for the stew?

Yes, you can use different cuts of beef for the stew. However, keep in mind that different cuts will affect the cooking time and texture of the beef. For a tender and flavorful stew, we recommend using chuck, bottom round, or brisket.

3. How can I make the beef stew thicker?

To make the beef stew thicker, you can add a slurry of cornstarch and water to the stew. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch with equal parts cold water, then slowly stir it into the stew. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the stew reaches your desired thickness.

4. Can I make the beef stew in a slow cooker?

Yes, you can make the beef stew in a slow cooker. Simply follow the recipe instructions and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Keep in mind that the stew may be more watery when cooked in a slow cooker, so you may need to thicken it with a cornstarch slurry.

5. How do I store and reheat leftover beef stew?

To store leftover beef stew, let it cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply heat the stew in a pot on the stove over medium heat until warmed through.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janetupnorth
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • nikked
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Shawnna
Replies