• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Outrageous Shipping Charges for Replacement Parts - My Experience with P3

In summary, the customer is upset because the replacement parts now cost the same as supplies. They also feel that the form did not include information about the increased costs.
Rosechef said:
You know, I just encountered this. I told one of my customers the egg slicer replacement was $5. and shipping was included, so that was it. Then I went to finalize it and saw they were chargeng $4.75 for a $5. part that probably costs less than a $1. to ship. She just spent $150 at my show on Saturday, so I ended up eating the 5.03 (tax inlcuded) for the shipping.[/QUOTE]

This is not cool. If you were at the 20% commission level, you just gave away almost 17% of your commission on that $150 order to keep her happy. I don't think we should have to do that.

Sandi

I'm not. I'm a tl and usally end up with about 27% give or take, depending on what my downline submits.

PamperedchefDaly said:
I agree. It would have caused the "ice cream dipper/dots bowl rush". .

OK the WHOLE thing about the ice cream dipper was BOGUS!
My gut tells me they knew ALL along there were going to retire the scoop-
So what do they do??? they tell us its going to be discontinued due to issues-- and they BLEW thru the inventory- And Miraculously poof in our NEW S/S catalog is a new scoop-( only weeks after the whole thing) I do not like that practice.

nancycookspc said:
So what do they do??? they tell us its going to be discontinued due to issues-- and they BLEW thru the inventory- And Miraculously poof in our NEW S/S catalog is a new scoop-( only weeks after the whole thing) I do not like that practice.

I didn't think of that, but you are right. Those catalogs were printed way before the ice cream dipper was discontinued. I've said it before--things are not the same since Doris left. :grumpy:

They're playing us:grumpy:

LOL. I thought the same thing about the scoop. Like, How did they find a new manufacturer so quickly? Forgot about the catalog print time.

Oh well, what's one more disillusion? Those sneaky so-and-so's.

There's no way I'm eating the shipping cost on replacement parts. The folks who asked about parts, I'm doing my out-of-the-box calls tonight and I'm just going to tell them the truth. That PC decided to start charging shipping and I didn't get any notice. They can decide whether they want the parts or not.

sandilou said:
Rosechef said:
You know, I just encountered this. I told one of my customers the egg slicer replacement was $5. and shipping was included, so that was it. Then I went to finalize it and saw they were chargeng $4.75 for a $5. part that probably costs less than a $1. to ship. She just spent $150 at my show on Saturday, so I ended up eating the 5.03 (tax inlcuded) for the shipping.[/QUOTE]

This is not cool. If you were at the 20% commission level, you just gave away almost 17% of your commission on that $150 order to keep her happy. I don't think we should have to do that.

Sandi

Someone mentioned earlier that they might offer to order new products on the host order instead of charging so much for the replacements. Is that still a suggestion?

make her a co host and give her the discount to order a new one... why not???? what is ethics anymore?

crissy11 said:
make her a co host and give her the discount to order a new one... why not???? what is ethics anymore?

That is a slippery slope.

Honestly, had she just ordered a new egg slicer, the cost would have been about the same. I didn't even think of that. Doesn't matter, like I said, I ordered it for her and paid the shipping myself, since I told her the shipping was included. I didn't know about the change.

For something like that, it's so light that the shipping could be around $1. To pay $5.03 is ridiculous. It costs me $5.05 to ship out a host packet, which is much heavier.

I hope they make some changes where this is concerned.

nancycookspc said:

PamperedchefDaly said:
I didn't think of that, but you are right. Those catalogs were printed way before the ice cream dipper was discontinued. I've said it before--things are not the same since Doris left. :grumpy:

ShellBeach said:
They're playing us:grumpy:

LOL. I thought the same thing about the scoop. Like, How did they find a new manufacturer so quickly? Forgot about the catalog print time.

New products are in development an average of two years before being introduced. HO would have known a while ago that they were planning to introduce a new ice cream scoop. Theis allows them to take the product pictures for the catalogs, make arrangements with the new manufacturer, as well as the old one for shifting over production.

They forecast what they expect to need through the end of the season so that they are not left with a ton of retired stock on hand. Those forecasts aren't perfect, and sometimes they run out sooner than expected. Yes, they would have known the Ice Cream Dipper would be retired, but they didn't plan for it to go down the way it did. But at the same time, they're not going to announce a new product in advance of spring launch. Personally, I don't remember them saying anything about quality issues being the reason for the discontinuation, I think that's just a lot of conjecture due to the recall earlier last year.

When they pulled it they said it was due to inconsistent quality on the ones they were getting in. I would bet that they were getting a lot of returns back in the time period that ended up being recalled and on top of that, customers who were upset that they couldn't get it replaced when someone put it in the dishwasher or left it in a hot pan of water. So I'm thinking they had been looking at a replacement for some time and then the luck of the Irish, this happens. Looks bad but it was not planned.I've noticed an awful lot of hating on PC lately from some consultants here lately. That will show through to your customers. I don't like every decision they make either but it is what it is. While we should let HO know our feelings and opinions and it's nice we have this place to vent with each other, we need to resolve our issues before we are in front of our customers or decide if we really still want to keep doing this.

BethCooks4U said:
I've noticed an awful lot of hating on PC lately from some consultants here lately. That will show through to your customers. I don't like every decision they make either but it is what it is. While we should let HO know our feelings and opinions and it's nice we have this place to vent with each other, we need to resolve our issues before we are in front of our customers or decide if we really still want to keep doing this.

I agree. Yes, CS is a great place to vent, but perpetuating the vent doesn't help anyone. Focusing on the negative just creates a bad vibe, which affects other parts of our business, even if we don't mean it to.

Everything that you're frustrated with, especially this shipping thing, should be voiced to Home Office. And I would say not only directly, but via your upline Executive Directors. They have some pull with Home Office, and if there are enough concerns raised, HO will come up with a solution. It might not be to go back to the way things were, but some kind of a compromise.

And while things have changed over the last 30 years with this business, we have to remember that the only constant in life is change. Things will keep changing, and we just have to accept that. Yes, some of the change can be frustrating, but there is a lot to be excited about, too. The bottom line is that we still have a fantastic business opportunity that treats its consultants way better than a lot of traditional employers treat their employees.

and keep in mind that some people just don't care how much the shipping charges are! They love PC that much, they want their parts replaced. I think if you show them side by side comparison of the replacement part total cost and new product total cost and let the customer make the decision, you'll all be much happier. I can't ever recall anyone complaining about shipping costs. Ever. Even when placing an order for $10 or less.

Brenda.the.chef said:
and keep in mind that some people just don't care how much the shipping charges are! They love PC that much, they want their parts replaced.

I think if you show them side by side comparison of the replacement part total cost and new product total cost and let the customer make the decision, you'll all be much happier.

I can't ever recall anyone complaining about shipping costs. Ever. Even when placing an order for $10 or less.

Really? Wow. I have it at almost every show. Or, they don't complain, they just add their orders together with a friend or two and split the shipping. THAT happens at almost every show also. But, I live in an area of the country where the largest Ethnic makeup is known for their extreme frugality. :)

ChefBeckyD said:
But, I live in an area of the country where the largest Ethnic makeup is known for their extreme frugality. :)

Oh those darn Italians. ;)

esavvymom said:
That is a slippery slope.

It's not slippery- it's wrong. There is never a justification of unethical behavior.

Let's hope the "hating" continues in this very-appropriately titled rant thread, and every consultant who reads it contacts HO!

There are going to be posts on this subject for several months. Not everyone reads either CS or PC newswire religiously. I wouldn't want anyone to feel stifled by being called a hater when they're merely expressing their dissatisfaction at a new policy in a rant thread. No business is all sweetness and light.

It's true though: customers don't need to be subjected to the ranting. LOL. That's why I still haven't done my follow-up calls. I'm still upset, and know I need to just mention the shipping has gone up on those parts in a calm tone and let the customer decide.

ShellBeach said:
Let's hope the "hating" continues in this very-appropriately titled rant thread, and every consultant who reads it contacts HO!

There are going to be posts on this subject for several months. Not everyone reads either CS or PC newswire religiously. I wouldn't want anyone to feel stifled by being called a hater when they're merely expressing their dissatisfaction at a new policy in a rant thread. No business is all sweetness and light.

It's true though: customers don't need to be subjected to the ranting. LOL. That's why I still haven't done my follow-up calls. I'm still upset, and know I need to just mention the shipping has gone up on those parts in a calm tone and let the customer decide.
Exactly! Everyone needs a place to vent. Our families don't get it. We can only complain so much to HO and our uplines and some of them won't hear any of it. It's nice to know we are not alone in our feelings. The thing we have to keep on mind is that once we vent we need to let it go on and concentrate on what we love about our business.

chefjeanine said:
Oh those darn Italians. ;)

Bwahahaha! Yes, VanAnyname is such a traditional Italian name. :)

I get lots of complaints about shipping.

I'm sure no one wants to pay shipping on anything if they can avoid it. Isn't that why we always try to spend $25 at a time on Amazon? :)

That said, I went to a Tastefully Simple party on Sunday and placed an order. It was a little over $100 and I paid over $13 in shipping. I looked at the chart and up to $59.99, shipping is 6.99. $60 or more is 12%. Of course, it will be shipped directly to me, so that's a plus, but I was a little surprised at the shipping cost. It made me appreciate a flat $4.75 rate a lot more.

I know that doesn't help with the replacement parts issue, but since the topic seemed to turn momentarily to shipping in general, I thought I'd share my story.

Shari in TX

Shari in TX said:
I'm sure no one wants to pay shipping on anything if they can avoid it. Isn't that why we always try to spend $25 at a time on Amazon? :)

That said, I went to a Tastefully Simple party on Sunday and placed an order. It was a little over $100 and I paid over $13 in shipping. I looked at the chart and up to $59.99, shipping is 6.99. $60 or more is 12%. Of course, it will be shipped directly to me, so that's a plus, but I was a little surprised at the shipping cost. It made me appreciate a flat $4.75 rate a lot more.

I know that doesn't help with the replacement parts issue, but since the topic seemed to turn momentarily to shipping in general, I thought I'd share my story.

Shari in TX
So ANY order up to $59.99 from TS is at least $6.99 shipping? Even $5 or $10? Their items are food and none a heavy like our stones and cookware and dinnerware. Yes, our $4.75 to host option is a steal! In some cases though the shipping with TS would be less than ours with the delivered right to guest option.

BethCooks4U said:
When they pulled it they said it was due to inconsistent quality on the ones they were getting in. I would bet that they were getting a lot of returns back in the time period that ended up being recalled and on top of that, customers who were upset that they couldn't get it replaced when someone put it in the dishwasher or left it in a hot pan of water. So I'm thinking they had been looking at a replacement for some time and then the luck of the Irish, this happens. Looks bad but it was not planned.

I've noticed an awful lot of hating on PC lately from some consultants here lately. That will show through to your customers. I don't like every decision they make either but it is what it is. While we should let HO know our feelings and opinions and it's nice we have this place to vent with each other, we need to resolve our issues before we are in front of our customers or decide if we really still want to keep doing this.

Thank you for saying this! I understand being upset about the changes, as I am and I don't think they are communicating them to us very well, but I would never bad mouth PC. I certainly don't think they "planned" for the ice cream scoop thing to happen. I feel that it just happened. (I am talking about it selling out early.)

I am in awe of the people bad mouthing our company. If you don't like the way they are doing things, then speak up and let them know. The other choice is to stop being a consultant. Either you are part of the solution or you are part of the problem.

I agree with Beth. Let's become a part of the solution. I've been in contact with home office several times over the last week. They are considering if adding the part to a show in a way similar to the guest special where neither the host or the consultant gets credit.

As for the ice cream dipper. The defective ones were only sold for a very short period of time July 1- Aug 30 2010. I think HO probably tried to work with them and decided it wasn't worth it. We sell kitchen products, so it only comes naturally that they've probably have been approached by vendors many times over the years. My kids love the new scoop and I haven't had to yell at anyone for placing it in the sink or worse, the dishwasher.

Find what you love about this business and focus on that. I love helping hosts with our great show benefits, helping guests get dinner in a dash, and our return policy still rocks (just take care and read the use and care cards). Most of all, I love our business opportunity! Anyone can succeed with our new consultant kit and taking advantage of all of the training opportuntites! I still review the online trainings and listen to other downloadable trainings.

What's your passion?

Just ran into this again today at a show. Guest places a nice order, and then asks about her FC -- the clear collar is broken and it is not under warranty anymore. I tell her I can get one coming for her, and that there will be shipping. In front of averyone she says, I have to pay shipping on my order and again on this $9 item??!? :grumpy: She has that look that says if so I am going to cancel my order. I say, oh, you know, I have a supply order going in pretty soon, if you are not in a hurry I can put it on that. Oh how I wish it could just come with her stuff! Ugh! Now I have to deliver it or pay to ship it to her. I hate this way of doing replacements!! :yuck:

Sandi

We can't put it on a supply order yet. Not till the new web.

Double ugh! That thought crossed my mind as I was typing this. So it would cost $6.75 for that $9 item and she just paid $4.75 or her order. How can we tell people this?!? :cry:

Sandi

The way I've been handling the whole situation (at this point) is to say "I can get that replacement part for you for $X, or if you'd rather get a new ($product), it would be $Y. Which would you prefer?"The price I'm quoting either way includes sales tax and direct shipping, along with the product/replacement price. This way, I'm only giving them two numbers that can be compared equally, and not confusing anyone with the added tax/shipping charges on top of the product price. Most folks in the past have told me they just want a total cost, so this works for me :)Oh, and they're usually happy when they hear it will come directly to them!

SpiritdancerIA said:
The way I've been handling the whole situation (at this point) is to say "I can get that replacement part for you for $X, or if you'd rather get a new ($product), it would be $Y. Which would you prefer?"

The price I'm quoting either way includes sales tax and direct shipping, along with the product/replacement price. This way, I'm only giving them two numbers that can be compared equally, and not confusing anyone with the added tax/shipping charges on top of the product price. Most folks in the past have told me they just want a total cost, so this works for me :)

Oh, and they're usually happy when they hear it will come directly to them!

This is exactly how my hospitality director (a NED) explained how to handle it as well, at our cluster meeting yesterday.

It costs money for Pampered Chef to ship those parts, and they been subsidising (sp?) those costs for years.

They were "subsidizing" the shipping merely because replacement parts weren't allowed to be added to show orders all these years. Which would not have been difficult to implement even before the PC ordering software! I still have no idea why the parts were never able to be put on a show order as a non-commissionable/total guest sales item. It didn't make much sense when I started selling, and still doesn't. Saying they were subsidizing the replacement parts program for years so now they have to play catch-up doesn't fly.

This isn't bad-mouthing PC. It's discussing the business.

SpiritDancer, thanks for the idea of how to handle the situation - just offering the two choices of either a replacement part or a new item with S&H figured for both. I emailed Solution Center and suggested it be put in a PC Newswire.

They really could have been a lot more proactive about this whole situation. Which reminds me my director never answered my emails about the whole situation back in early March. Typical.

ShellBeach said:
They were "subsidizing" the shipping merely because replacement parts weren't allowed to be added to show orders all these years. Which would not have been difficult to implement even before the PC ordering software! I still have no idea why the parts were never able to be put on a show order as a non-commissionable/total guest sales item. It didn't make much sense when I started selling, and still doesn't. Saying they were subsidizing the replacement parts program for years so now they have to play catch-up doesn't fly.

This isn't bad-mouthing PC. It's discussing the business.

SpiritDancer, thanks for the idea of how to handle the situation - just offering the two choices of either a replacement part or a new item with S&H figured for both. I emailed Solution Center and suggested it be put in a PC Newswire.

They really could have been a lot more proactive about this whole situation. Which reminds me my director never answered my emails about the whole situation back in early March. Typical.
Exactly!

SpiritdancerIA said:
The way I've been handling the whole situation (at this point) is to say "I can get that replacement part for you for $X, or if you'd rather get a new ($product), it would be $Y. Which would you prefer?"

The price I'm quoting either way includes sales tax and direct shipping, along with the product/replacement price. This way, I'm only giving them two numbers that can be compared equally, and not confusing anyone with the added tax/shipping charges on top of the product price. Most folks in the past have told me they just want a total cost, so this works for me :)

Oh, and they're usually happy when they hear it will come directly to them!

If they want a new product, do you do an individual order or put it on a Host order?

<h2>What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Outrageous Shipping Charges for Replacement Parts - My Experience with P3?</h2><p>1. Why are shipping charges for replacement parts so high? </p><p>2. Can I request a replacement part without paying for shipping? </p><p>3. Is there a way to avoid paying for shipping for replacement parts? </p><p>4. Have there been any recent changes to the cost of replacement parts? </p><p>5. Is there a way to lower the shipping cost for replacement parts? </p>

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Outrageous Shipping Charges for Replacement Parts - My Experience with P3?

1. Why are shipping charges for replacement parts so high?

2. Can I request a replacement part without paying for shipping?

3. Is there a way to avoid paying for shipping for replacement parts?

4. Have there been any recent changes to the cost of replacement parts?

5. Is there a way to lower the shipping cost for replacement parts?

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
scottcooks
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Bexs50
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
AJPratt