• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Removing Knife Cut Marks on Cutting Boards: A Quick Sanding Solution

well, carved. :) If yours is well-used but not looking nice, you could try using an orbital sander on it.
pkd09
Silver Member
that you can lightly sand the large groove cutting board to remove knife cut marks?

Man, I wish I knew what would make the look white again -- I know you can put a paste of something on them, but it doesn't seem they should have to be cleaned so much each time and I don't like to take stained ones to a show. I've poured bleach on them before. If someone has ideas on this, please let me know, as well as the knife marks.

I dunno...it's a cutting board and I'd expect it to have cut marks and some slight staining on it. I think customers expect it too, because it shows that you use it. If you brought one in mint condition, I'd wonder (as a customer), if it were ever used.

Yes, it's true. I've done it before. I used fine sand paper and went over them lightly. It did take a little while, but it was well worth the results!

There's our answer ladies....thank you!

gailz2 said:
Man, I wish I knew what would make the look white again -- I know you can put a paste of something on them, but it doesn't seem they should have to be cleaned so much each time and I don't like to take stained ones to a show. I've poured bleach on them before. If someone has ideas on this, please let me know, as well as the knife marks.

I use Soft Scrub with Bleach on my cutting boards when they get a little used looking (usually light orange from carrots). I squeeze out a little cleaner, spread it out on the discolored area, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then scrub it off with a brush.

leftymac said:
I dunno...it's a cutting board and I'd expect it to have cut marks and some slight staining on it. I think customers expect it too, because it shows that you use it. If you brought one in mint condition, I'd wonder (as a customer), if it were ever used.

Ha, ha! For one of my first shows, I had a guest complain that her cutting board looked terrible, nothing like mine did! (Hello, mine was brand new!) Being that I didn't know how well they hold up over time, I had no idea what to tell her!

What about the Bamboo Carving Board? Mine is very well used & doesn't look very nice. Any suggestions?

The Furry Guy uses an orbital sander on my cutting boards when they're getting too nasty for me. The Bamboo Carving Board is a different matter. I don't believe there's anything you can do. That's why it's a carving board for presentation and not a cutting board for prep work.

I use Clorax Cleanup Spray on my cutting boards after I use something on it that would stain. Mine still looks pretty good. My first one though that I got for a wedding present is seriously nasty! I take it camping and that's it. But I never used anything on it all those years... so, it's to be expected. I still love my cutting boards! Especially the large grooved!

Like Rae said, you can start out with a medium-fine grit, and then finish with a fine grit to get to the "touch" that you want. The orbital sander is waaaaay faster!!! The wonderful about PC's cutting boards is that it's the same material all the way through - that's why you can sand it. Some other ones on the market are made of a different material part-way through. Oh, and I also was told that the material our cutting boards are made of are FDA approved to be used in meat processing plants because they don't harbor bacteria! I'm pretty sure it was in a NC workshop that I heard this, so I'm confident that it's true!!

Just be careful of the silicone around the edge of the newer boards.

You can even use a (clean) emery board in a pinch.I bleach my cutting boards every so often to get rid of the staining.

My dear recruiter, did a luncheon show at my Church. After others had left, I approached her about my nasty, cutting board. She offered to send it back for me.
Her kindness led to my becoming a Pampered Chef. So, I smiled when I read this thread. I never thought to call the consultant who had sold it to me. Even though
I had almost a $1,000 show, she never called me after my order was delivered. She
lived close to 70 miles away, so I did not think much about her not calling.

What about the Bamboo Carving Board? Mine is very well used & doesn't look very nice. Any suggestions?

That's why my BambooCarving board is in the cupboard. I don't pull it out very often. If I can't use my chopper on it, it's not practical for me or my family. If I hadn't have earned it, I wouldn't have bothered to get it.

Now my LGCB, I love, but I HATE what the Color Coated knives do to it. They seem to be the worst!! I know that NYS restaurants are required by State Law to have only ones that are made out of ingredients that ours are made of.....polypropylene.....NO wood ones are allowed.

I've got to get the sand paper out.

Lisa

The grooves and nicks in cutting boards actually show that they're doing their job, too, which is to protect the edge of your knife from damage. Because the knife goes into the surface instead of bouncing off (like it would off glass, tile, stone, china, etc.), the cutting edge of the blade remains in alignment. Generally - you still need to hone your knives. But you'd need to do it every few strokes if you cut on a board that's not designed to give a little.

I only use the bamboo board for carving. I have never used the chopper on it or used it for prep. I have had it a few years now but it looks very worn & faded. We also only handwash (everything...no diswasher:cry:). Not sure if this was normal.

I put my cutting boards on the lower rack of my dishwasher--stains come out after 1 wash. Also can rub salt/lemon over the stained area and let it sit. Will remove stains.

I have had it a few years now but it looks very worn & faded

That first year they came out, I had problems with them fading where meat touched them. My one hostess said to me on the phone, you can tell exactly where my turkey was. I didn't think it could be that bad, but I got her to take a picture and send it to me and it was HORRIBLE.

Don't they have a 3 or 5 year guarantee??? If so, call about a Return. Maybe HO would be happy with a picture?? So you wouldn't have expense of return??

HTH,

Lisa

1. How do I know when it's time to sand my cutting board?

You should sand your cutting board when you start to see deep knife cut marks that cannot be removed with regular cleaning. This usually occurs after several months of frequent use.

2. What type of sandpaper should I use for sanding my cutting board?

We recommend using a fine-grit sandpaper, such as 220 grit, for sanding your cutting board. This will help remove the knife cut marks without damaging the surface of the board.

3. Can I use an electric sander to sand my cutting board?

While it is possible to use an electric sander, we recommend sanding your cutting board by hand. This allows for more control and prevents over-sanding, which can damage the board.

4. How do I properly sand my cutting board?

Start by lightly sanding the surface of the cutting board in the direction of the grain. Be careful not to press too hard or sand in one spot for too long. Once the knife cut marks have been removed, wipe the board clean with a damp cloth and let it dry completely before use.

5. How often should I sand my cutting board?

This will depend on how frequently you use your cutting board. For regular use, we recommend sanding every 6-12 months. However, if you notice deep knife cut marks before this time frame, it is best to sand your cutting board sooner.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • leftymac
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • gailz2