• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ever tried polenta lasagna? Here's a tip for making it delicious!

In summary, the author made two versions of polenta for a cluster meeting and found that the garlic/basil variety was much better than the plain version. He also recommends using hot Italian sausage in place of the mild sausage.
scottcooks
Gold Member
I made this for our cluster meeting last night as well as another for my young kids and wife at home. Because there were some varieties at the store, I got some great experience to share.:chef:1) Polenta is in the dairy case next to hot dogs and sauerkraut (at least at my Kroger store)2) There are different flavors of polenta... The Garlic/Basil was MUCH better than just the plain.3) Hot Italian sausage was MUCH MUCH better than just Mild Italian Sausage, and I didn't try Sweet Italian Sausage. There was no turkey sausage at my store - apparently there is at Safeway.The version I made for the cluster meeting was garlic/basil polenta and hot Italian sausage; it had lots of flavor and everyone raved about it. The version I made at home [plain polenta, mild Italian sausage]was WAY too bland :indif:- was kind of like a ratatoulie or such, not nice.I'm attaching the recipe, though it is under Theme Show Reicpes in Ccorner.

Attachments

• lasagna.pdf
    212.4 KB · Views: 497
Thank you for the tips! I have never bought Polenta, so I would have probably just used the plain, but glad you said someting about the flavors.

I will use a Garlic/Basil flavor for the Polenta as you suggest, but I will probably stick to the sweet Italian Sausage at first.

This looks good - but won't be making this one at home - son has a corn allergy. :(

I am making it for my sister in law tomorrow afternoon... I will make it with the turkey sausage for her and give feedback on that way!

What is polenta exactly?

wadesgirl said:
What is polenta exactly?

Cornmeal mush in a tube - you can slice it and fry it or bake it.

ChefBeckyD said:
Cornmeal mush in a tube - you can slice it and fry it or bake it.

Interesting... I would like to try this recipe, just not sure what DH will think!

Polenta is kind of Italian grits - which I guess could be "cornmeal mush". It also comes dry to prepare, in the bread aisle and I think I've seen it in the prepared foods aisle too_Of course do what you are comfortable with, but I encourage you to use the HOT Italian sausage for several reasons -
1.the recipe calls for it
2. the "heat" is calmed down a LOT by the cheese and cream cheese
3. the Mild version just tasted bad - needed salt & pepper for even "ok" flavor profile
4. the 10 adults absolutely RAVED at our cluster meeting, and not just to be PC crazy, but because it was really good. Several had seconds and I had only a small amount to give my wife to taste at home. She said it was better than the other one they had eaten, and that she was surprised how it wasn't "HOT" flavored.

Polenta is shelf stable too and can be purchased in the aisles too. Not sure which aisle, though. We have a great international market by us that has an "Italian" aisle, so that's where I'll find it! LOL!

I was checking out the recipe and I'm not a fan of marinara sauce, do you think I could just use plain or lightly flavored spaghetti sauce?

wadesgirl said:
I was checking out the recipe and I'm not a fan of marinara sauce, do you think I could just use plain or lightly flavored spaghetti sauce?

Yes. Use whatever you think your tastebuds would like!

scottcooks said:
Polenta is kind of Italian grits - which I guess could be "cornmeal mush". .

The one I was looking at in the refrigerator section said (cormeal mush) in parentheses. That's what I was going by.

Usually you can find the unrefrigerated polenta in the dry pasta aisle.

Trader Joes has organic polenta in the aisle where the pasta is found. It is wonderful....I plan on adding extra garlic and basil to the recipe as it is plain polenta.

CK

Thanks for your input. I want to make this tomorrow for dinner, just to try it out! I have a host that has the DCB, and wants to host a show in August, and try another recipe... think this could be IT! Thanks for your input, if I had not read it hear from you, I may not venture out with it!!! :)

I have a host that wants to do an Italian themed show and really wants the DCB so I thought this is perfect. Is it strange to do this at a show when the cookbook it comes in is not available yet??

Mommy2amo said:
I have a host that wants to do an Italian themed show and really wants the DCB so I thought this is perfect. Is it strange to do this at a show when the cookbook it comes in is not available yet??

Not at all. Tell them you're giving them a preview of what's to come in the fall season. Put the recipe up on your website so they can get it if they want it.

I've made polenta a couple of times. Mine doesn't come out as congealed as the stuff in the tube, but is a nice alternative to rice or pasta. I usually serve chicken with some sort of sauce over it.

I'm a polenta lover here. I make it fresh, cool it, cut it up in squares and then fry it in olive oil, galic and just before it's done, add grape tomatoes just a minute to warm them. Serve with fresh basil and fresh grated parm. YUM.

I make a dish with sausage and polenta, sort of similar to the recipe.

I also make a cake with figs with polenta. I'm Italian, so it was a regular dish in my house. I have quite a few recipes for polenta.

Rose, you made me smile. While reading your post, I pictured my (deceased) mother-in-law (italian, of course) in the kitchen with her apron on, who taught me how to cook. She was awesome. Thank you for that wonderful picture first thing this morning.
I would LOVE to have that fig and polenta cake recipe! My e-mail is [email protected]. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I made this the other night to test it. I sauted the zucchini and red peppers. It was a bit mushy overall. Nice flavor. My husband liked the flavor but said it needed more structure and texture.

I'll see if I can dig up that recipe for you.

Just made this for dinner tonight since I may be doing it for a demo at my sis-in-law's show. While I was making it, DH said "is this another PC recipe?" I said yes and he rolled his eyes. When he asked what was in it I reluctantly told him b/c I thought he would not try it if he heard polenta and zuchini (he's a very picky eater). When he tasted it, he commented that he really liked it- and so did I! I did add extra garlic, and basil. Also could only find regular hot italian sausage and fire-roasted tomato polenta. Yummy!

I just made this for dinner tonight. I had to keep it TOP-SECRET from my family (especially my DH...he's so picky about new foods I try out on them sometimes). I used a Hot Sausage (which, after it's cooked and drained, really isn't that hot), and I had found a Garlic/Basil Polenta in the store. Can I just say, the texture of polenta is very different! My 9 yr old gobbled it up, my 6 yr old made a funny face and said "this tastes different...." and then picked up a piece of the polenta and said "Is this pineapple?!" LOL But he ate about half of it without much fuss. I thought it was very good. DH took one bite and just gave me "the look". I laughed and confessed- "Yes...it's a little different. Only 3 things though!" Then told him to keep his comment/looks to himself until the boys had at least tried it and given a vote. He ate it all, and then proceeded to get leftover pizza from the fridge. LOL. That's better than he normally does! But overall, I liked it, and think it would be a good dish. Not sure about demo- since I did mine in the oven, vs microwave, but if a Host wanted it, I wouldn't be adverse to do it. I definitely liked the veggies in the sauce/meat thing though! That was a great trick and the kids didn't notice a thing! They saw the color, but the taste wasn't impacted to them....just the polenta was noticeable.

I made this Monday for a couple from my team, and my family and we loved it.

since I keep grits on hand all the time, I made some in the morning, added garlic, Italian seasoning, Dried Tomato Herb seasoning, S&P, and then rolled it in a tube shape, and refrigerated til I was ready to make dinner.

It worked, but will use less water than called for next time so it is firmer, and add basil (have a lot in my garden).

And, I had a bowl of hot grits with real maple syrup for breakfast :)

1. What is the "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip"?

The "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip" is a kitchen tool designed by Pampered Chef specifically for making lasagna. It is a silicone mat that helps create perfectly even layers of pasta, sauce, and filling.

2. How does the "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip" work?

The mat has designated sections for each layer of lasagna, making it easy to spread the ingredients evenly. Simply place the mat in the bottom of your pan and start layering!

3. Is the "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip" dishwasher safe?

Yes, the mat is dishwasher safe. Place it on the top rack for easy cleaning.

4. Can the "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip" be used for other dishes besides lasagna?

Absolutely! The mat can be used for any layered dish, such as casseroles or desserts. It is also great for creating perfectly even layers in dishes like cheesecake or tiramisu.

5. Does the "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip" come with any recipes or instructions?

Yes, the mat comes with a recipe booklet that includes instructions for using the "Red, White & Green Lasagna Tip" and a variety of delicious lasagna recipes to try.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sassypip
  • Bren706
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC