• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Red Velvet Cake Recipe Mystery: Can You Help Solve It?

In summary, the secret ingredient in red velvet cake is cocoa powder for flavor and color. To achieve a vibrant red color, use good quality liquid food coloring and possibly more than the recipe calls for. It is not recommended to substitute buttermilk with regular milk. Using both baking soda and baking powder in the recipe helps create a balanced leavening effect. Vegetable oil can be substituted with canola or melted coconut oil.
chefheidi2003
Gold Member
My aunt said that she saw a Pampered Chef cookbook in passing and there was a Red Velvet Cake recipe of some type in it. Does anyone have a clue what she is talking about? Because I don't.

It could be the "Chocolate Velvet Cake" that she's talking about. The recipe is in the Season's Best spring/summer 2008. :)

1. What is the secret ingredient in the red velvet cake recipe?

The secret ingredient in the red velvet cake recipe is usually a small amount of cocoa powder. This adds a subtle chocolate flavor and also helps give the cake its signature red color.

2. How do I get the perfect red color in my red velvet cake?

The key to achieving a vibrant red color in red velvet cake is using a good quality red food coloring. Liquid food coloring works best, and you may need to use a bit more than the recipe calls for to get the desired color.

3. Can I substitute the buttermilk in the recipe with regular milk?

It is not recommended to substitute buttermilk with regular milk in a red velvet cake recipe. Buttermilk is slightly acidic and helps activate the baking soda, which is crucial in creating the cake's light and fluffy texture.

4. Why is the recipe calling for both baking soda and baking powder?

Using both baking soda and baking powder in a red velvet cake recipe helps create a more balanced leavening effect. The baking soda reacts with the acidic ingredients, while the baking powder provides an extra boost of leavening power.

5. Can I use a different type of oil in the recipe?

Yes, you can substitute the vegetable oil in the recipe with canola or melted coconut oil. Just make sure to use a neutral-flavored oil that won't overpower the other flavors in the cake.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • jenbaez
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
dianevill