• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Tips for Recruiting Overseas: Military PC Consultants Share Insights

In summary, Claudia recommends that if you are thinking of starting a business overseas, get a business license and follow the shipping and customs regulations. She also advises that you focus on recruiting new members from military bases all around the world.
cloudyade
Hey all,

I was wondering if there any military PC Consultants stationed overseas.
We are PCSing overseas next month and I was wondering if you had any tips or suggestions for me.
Mostly I am wondering if I should push recruiting or not, somehow I think if I do start recruiting that I won't have no business sooner or later because the base that we are going to is not that big. Any ideas?

Thank you
Claudia

I totally disagree. I was on Okinawa (in Japan) when I started my business in March '08. I was a hobbyist at first & didn't decide to step up my business until Jan 2010. At the time, I had 3 in my downline who just sort of DROPPED in my lap. I started 2010 as a Team Leader with 3 on the team and ended the year with 42 on the team and being "paid as" an Advanced Director (officially taking the title Jan 1, 2011).

The one thing that you constantly have overseas in your "small town" is new people. There are constantly people rotating in & out. Our team has really started to PCS this year. We have team members in Germany (2), a bunch still in Japan and several spread out across the US. Last year I counted ... between my team, another Director's team and the hospitality consultants, there were over 50 consultants that I personally knew in Okinawa! And business was thriving too!!!

There are rules for doing business overseas:
  • Get a business license: This is done through the base. There's no fee, but is required to do business on an overseas military base.
  • Stick to the mailing regulations: We are not allowed to accept mail for others unless we are their official sponsor with orders in hand. So no "ship to host" and no "cash & carry" unless you want to chance getting your business license revoked, your mailbox privileges revoked and/or (assuming you are the dependent & not the active duty member) receive an ERD (Early Return of Dependents where you & any children get sent back to the US while your sponsor finishes out his overseas assignment without you).
  • Follow the Customs rules: We do not pay import taxes, and are prohibited from selling to the locals. Not only would you be violating the shipping rule, but selling to the locals would be considered The Black Market & is punishable by the local Customs Agency. Stick with SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement) Personnel only.

You can convince yourself that it's a waste of time and you'll get those results. Or you can go over there with the anticipation of doing a wonderful job and you'll succeed. The attitude and choice is your decision. If you think you can, or you think you can't ... you're probably right! ;)

Thanks Sheila for the information.

I did read that somewhere with the direct shipping and all the other regulations. Do you happen which office gives you the business license?

I guess I will just continue to do what I do here in the states and focus on hosting and recruiting. I think you are right, people constantly PCS so there's always a change of people.
Hopefully I can follow your food steps and walk as Advanced Next Year :)

I already have 4 parties booked in Germany, so excited to finally get there!

Thank you again for your response

Which base are you headed to?

Illesheim, Germany

Don't know anyone at that base yet. Start with your housing office and see if they issue the licenses. On Okinawa (Air Force) it was housing, in Tokyo (Navy) it was MWR. If you start with the wrong place,they can probably refer you to the right location for the business license. ;)And way to go on having 4 bookings lined up already! :DRemember, you are not restricted to just the military people on your base. They can collect orders from friends/family on other military bases around the world & those in the US. You can also do shows for people who don't live near you if you utilize your web page. ;)

Where are your two consultants located?

Ok, I hope the military won't give me troubles about a business license.

Thanks for all the info Sheila

One of the girls on my team is at Ramstein. I'm drawing a complete blank on the other one! Then one of the hospitality girls just moved to Stuttgart.My base declined a private loan company and said it's the only company they've ever declined. I've never heard of a PC rep being declined a license. I have heard that the process in Germany is much longer (one said 6 weeks!) where as it's more like 2 weeks in Japan. Hopefully you won't have to wait long. Most assume they will be approved & just start working shows. The only time you'll have to show your license is if someone complains to the base officials about you or if you go to rent a booth. Remember, on-base booths only, no point in doing an off-base booth since you can't market to the locals. And no door-to-door soliciting on base either. I forgot to mention that. They don't allow door-to-door or phone solicitation on base. You'll get so used to NOT getting telemarketing calls, that you'll be in culture shock when you move back to the US. LOL

Thanks again, hopefully it will all work out

Wow, more great info! Anyone know any PCers in Grafenwoehr?? Thanks!

Heather

What is recruiting overseas?

Recruiting overseas refers to the process of hiring individuals from foreign countries to work for a company or organization. This can include seeking out candidates from different countries, conducting interviews and assessments, and ultimately hiring and relocating them to work in a different location.

Why do companies recruit overseas?

There are several reasons why companies may choose to recruit overseas. This can include a need for specialized skills or expertise that may not be readily available in the local market, a desire to expand into new markets, or to take advantage of lower labor costs in certain countries.

What are the benefits of recruiting overseas?

Some potential benefits of recruiting overseas include access to a larger talent pool, diversity and cultural enrichment within the company, cost savings, and the potential for increased innovation and creativity from hiring individuals with different backgrounds and perspectives.

What are some challenges of recruiting overseas?

Recruiting overseas can come with its own set of challenges, such as navigating different cultural norms and language barriers, managing logistics and legal requirements for international hiring, and potential difficulties with work visas and immigration processes.

What are some best practices for recruiting overseas?

Some best practices for recruiting overseas include conducting thorough research on the target country's labor laws and cultural norms, partnering with local recruitment agencies or consultants, providing support and resources for international hires to adjust to a new culture and work environment, and ensuring clear and open communication throughout the recruitment process.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• finley1991
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • mrshamel3808