1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Recruit Leads don't drive

1. Nfldfran

Nfldfran Member

Perhaps someone can help me??

I have 2 recruit leads who are CRAZY about Pampered Chef products. Both are low income earners and don't drive or even have a liscense.

Any suggestions re: how I can help them set up a business without a car?
    I have already suggested that they offer to do the shows in their homes; that they search for a friend/buddy who might offer transportation in exchange for PC products and of course taxi with the idea of claiming the cost as a business expense.

Can anyone come up with other creative solutions? I would be most appreciative but even more so I know these women want to become consultants and I want to help them get what they want.

Diane

Aug 14, 2009
  2. chefcharity

chefcharity Advanced Member

I know that there is always some ladies from the Amish community that earn TPC every year. It would be interesting if you could talk to them about how they do their shows.

I am anxious to hear suggestions. The ones you have are good ones Diane.

Aug 14, 2009
  3. NooraK

NooraK Legend Member Gold Member

If I understand right, those ladies get to their shows with their horse-drawn carriages.

Aug 14, 2009
  4. trps

trps Advanced Member Silver Member

I don't think they are Amish but Menonite which Menonite's do drive cars and use electricity but dress conservative and are close in religious beliefs to the Amish.

I don't think Amish women are allowed to work outside the home.

Aug 14, 2009
  5. janetupnorth

janetupnorth Legend Member Gold Member

Amish women can work outside the home while single. They can also work while married making things to sell. They just can't work for others.

Tell us more about these recruit leads? Low income earners but do they have a decent house or central location where they can hold bigger shows?

What about a "walk through the catalog" and bringing something like the dipping oils and bread to the shows. That way they aren't carrying an entire kit with them.

Are there other modes of transportation? Train, bus, cab, etc?

Can they do catalog and online shows?

Aug 14, 2009
  6. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

Ask them how they get to where they need to be now? If they are getting rides from friends/relatives they could ask them and pay them with product or have the friend sign too and do shows together - trading off who's the consultant. Realistically, most consultants do less than 1 show a week so they're only asking for about 4 rides a month (way less than if they needed a ride to a regular job 3-4 days a week to get the same income) - the rest of their business could be done via phone/internet.

Aug 14, 2009
  7. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

If she has ZERO transportation, it could definitely impact her business. I can definitely see some hosts deterred by working with a consultant who has no transportation. Are there alternate methods of transportation available? If not, it would definitely present a challenge on how to deliver host packets, get to & from Cooking Shows and then meet again to close the show. She would have to have hosts willing to come to her or restrict the shows to catalog and/or online shows only if she doesn't have any method for getting to her shows. She certainly can't ask the host to come & get her! :yuck: If she's in an area where taxi's are not readily available that could be an inconvenience too. I can't imagine calling a taxi & then having to sit at the host's house & wait for one to arrive. But if she can figure out the transportation issue, maybe she could use her PC business as a method for affording a 2nd car!!! Man, what a story to tell at future shows down the line.

Aug 15, 2009
  8. BethCooks4U

BethCooks4U Legend Member Gold Member

At least 70% of the time I close the show on the phone and either get final payments by credit cards or have them mail the remaining payments and I mail the last minute receipts. I only meet that host if she lives close or wants to meet me part way to make final payments. It can be worked out. The only thing she needs transportation for is to get to the show. Even the packets can be mailed - how does she mail things now? Or she can do like I will tomorrow: take one day and deliver all of the packets for a month (or two) at once. I am delivering 13 packets for September shows tomorrow all in one round trip. No, I don't plan on stopping to talk to anyone. I'll do it all on the phone.

In the next few weeks I won't be driving and will have limitations. Friends and my hosts will help. At the same time I will have the busiest month ever with my business. I am making it work because I want/need it to.

If someone wants to do this not having a car is a minor stumbling block.

Aug 15, 2009
  9. Nfldfran

Nfldfran Member

Re: Recruit Leads don't drive-Update

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your suggestions. I used some of them today and signed one of the two. So many thanks!!

Please don't stop though I have the second one coming with me to a show on Monday night.

The recruit who signed lives in an urban area and her father is a cab driver so she is going to work on that as well as trading transportation for products with other family members.

The second one lives in more of a rural area but nothing is impossible. I am just not very creative.

I went to conference (in Canada) and bought the entire package that Tammy Stanley had to sell. Awesome!!

Diane

Aug 15, 2009
  10. Judybabe

Judybabe Guest

I have a question that is kinda of a twist on this thread... If you have a car, how far are you willing to travel for a show? Out here, in southwestern Nebraska, my director is 50 miles from me in Kansas. I know of one show that she drove 200 miles round trip for. How do you make sure it's worth it?

Aug 15, 2009
  11. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I try to keep it within an hours drive time (one way). I have consultants on my team who are on the edges of those times, and I've given them shows before when it would have been too long of a drive for me.

I'm willing to drive further in the Spring-Fall seasons than I am in the Winter too. If the drive is going to be more than 30-45 minutes during the winter, than I'll only do Saturday Brunch shows for those.

Aug 15, 2009
  12. cindylpal

cindylpal Member Gold Member

This reminded me of one of my first years at NC and seeing a blind woman work across stage!!! If there's a will there's a way...how did she plan to get around???

Aug 15, 2009
Have something to add?