• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Jaw Surgery Success! I Got Bionic Jaws!

In summary, the speaker has undergone a long and difficult surgery to replace their jaw joints. They are currently recovering at home and facing challenges such as facial nerve trauma and atrophied muscles. They appreciate the support and prayers from others and hope to be able to fulfill their upcoming commitments. They also mention developing a Russian accent due to the surgery. Others offer words of encouragement and suggest ways to maintain a South Texas accent. The speaker expresses gratitude and hope for the future.
carlajanes
Gold Member
Hi All!
I got home Wednesday (the 27th) from the Mayo Clinic. Both jaw joints were replaced with artificial ones. I have bionic jaws now :D

The surgery was only to be 4-5 hours but ended up 10 hours long!!!! Plus 2 hours of prep before the surgery and 3 hours in recovery. It took days to get my pain under control.

I have facial nerve trauma from the nerves being stretched for so long. I can not raise either eyebrow, blink or close my left eye, plus the right side of my mouth is very weak. I Have to drink from a straw because of the weakness in my mouth. The surgeon has assured me it will heal.

I stayed a week in the hospital and was on a Dilaudid pump for the 1st 3 days as the pain is so very excrutiating. I will have to undergo extensive Physical Therapy because my facial and jaw muscles have atrophied so much from my joints being fused together for so long.

So I am at home now recovering and walking to try to prevent blood clots. Tonight has been a very painful night and my scars are really bothering me. They cut me in front of each ear and then along my neck on each side in a crease to form an L shape. The neck scars are trying to form keloids because I had a reaction to tape. But we will wait until they heal to see if more surgery is needed....sigh....

I do have some shows scheduled for July so prayers would be appreciated so I can at least keep those commitments! Oh and the funniest thing is I now have a Russian accent....hahahahaha....I was born and raised in South Texas!!! It was a Swedish one when they took out the joints and will continue to change as I heal. I wonder what I will end up with :D

I appreciate so much all of you!!! and your willingness to become involved in my life and lift me up in prayer. I really feel those prayers! And if you know of anyone who has had or will have a joint replaced.....do everything you can for them if possible!! It is THE most traumatic surgery I have ever had and I have had 5 just on my jaws. I know it will be so much better in the long run but for now it is a struggle.....
Love you ALL!!

Wow, what a series of events you have undergone. My husband was in a head-on collision several years ago and took the blunt of it all in his face. He suffered nerve damage, also. It is a very slow rate that it comes back at, but it does come back. Just relax now and heal, hopefully your surgeries are over. Keep walking, and let others help you out. Each day will be better. Hugs.

Carla,You have been in my prayers and will continue to be on my list! I can't imagine all that you've been through and continue to endure. Take care and do what the Docs tell you.

Thank you for sharing. We all need reality stories like this to put life in perspective. I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through, and have been through. Bless you for reaching out to us and publicly seeking care, support, and prayers. God is able to do immeasurably more than we can ever think or imagine!

Oh Carla, you amaze me! Going through all of that and hanging in there so well. Keep up the positive thoughts and do all you can to stay healthy so you can heal well. I hope you get through this okay. You are in my prayers. :)

(((hugs))) I hope your recovery goes smoothly and that you gain back all your facial muscles very soon!

Carla, hope you are healing well. Prayers coming your way.

Carla,
Practice saying "y'all", "fixin'", "ma'am", "holler". At least your words will sound like South Texas even if the accent ain't thar! :-D

Take care of yourself and don't overdo. Keepin' ya in our prayers!

Thought of a few more for you:
far = fire
those there = them thar
duck on a junebug

Hope you're feeling better! :)

thanks!! :D

don't forget "might could" and everything is "coke" like what kind of coke do you want? I'll take a diet dr. pepper :)

today was a hurting day but i have hope for tomorrow :D

Praying for you. So sorry you have to go through this, but glad you're on the way to recovery.Russian accent would be cool, but I wouldn't want to go through what you did for it!

Hope you are feeling better. (((HUGS))) You are in my prayers.

1. How long does the jaw surgery take?

The duration of jaw surgery can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the specific procedures being performed. On average, the surgery can take anywhere from 1-3 hours.

2. Is jaw surgery painful?

Jaw surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia, so the patient will not feel any pain during the procedure. However, some discomfort and swelling can be expected after the surgery, which can be managed with pain medication prescribed by the surgeon.

3. What is the recovery process like?

The recovery process for jaw surgery can vary from person to person, but generally, it takes about 6-8 weeks for the jaw to fully heal. During this time, the patient will need to follow a special diet and take care to avoid strenuous activities that can disrupt the healing process.

4. Will my speech be affected after jaw surgery?

In some cases, jaw surgery can temporarily affect speech due to swelling and changes in the mouth structure. However, most patients are able to speak normally within a few weeks after the surgery. Speech therapy may be recommended for those who experience prolonged speech difficulties.

5. Are there any risks or complications associated with jaw surgery?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with jaw surgery. These can include bleeding, infection, nerve damage, and difficulty with healing. It is important to discuss any concerns with your surgeon and follow all post-operative instructions to minimize these risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• carlajanes
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
carlajanes
  • carlajanes
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • carlajanes