• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recommendation for Dance/Fitness Class

well, the choreography goes?If you are considering Zumba, I would recommend that you attend a few introductoryclasses first so that you can get a feel for the dance and the moves. It can be challenging to keep up at the beginning, but I think that it is definitely worth it in the end. The class frequently changes choreography, so that is always a bonus.
robochick84
I have been considering some type of fitness class for a few months now, and I am ready to get started, I am just having trouble choosing between the options out there.

Some of them that I have considered or heard of:

-Curves
-Zumba
-Kettleball

If you have done any of these or others, I would love to have some recommendations on why you did or did not like the program!

Thanks!

ZUMBA, is soo much FUN! It's a party not a work out is the slogan.. (and really it feels like fun not workout). :) Highly recommend it, and it also depends on instructors.. so if you don't like one, try others until you find one that suits you! :)

I have to agree with Zumba! The hour goes SO fast it isn't even like working out. We did an hour and a half the other day and had some guest instructors. Each was different w/ diff intensity levels. So, yeah, if you don't like one find another. If you can't get the steps just keep moving till you catch back on. I know our class here offers first time free so you can see what you think.

Good luck! and good for you for taking this step!!!!

What is Kettleball? I've never heard of that one. My sentiments echo Heather's. I LOVE Zumba!! I discovered I have rather severe plantar faciaitis (sp) and it causes my arches to ache when I take Zumba. I'm so sad!! I will sometimes still do it just for the fun and workout! You can easily burn up to 600 calories in one hour of Zumba!!

From the aspect of the most intense workout - Kettleball. WOW! Intense....and you will definitely use muscles you haven't used before. BUT I enjoy strength training more than aerobic exercise, so I would choose Kettleball or Curves over Zumba anyway.

I belonged to Curves for a while, but got bored with the circuit training routine.
Right now, I am doing a couple different Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's at home, and my DH is doing them with me. Even he says they are good exercise!

ChefBeckyD said:
From the aspect of the most intense workout - Kettleball. WOW! Intense....and you will definitely use muscles you haven't used before. BUT I enjoy strength training more than aerobic exercise, so I would choose Kettleball or Curves over Zumba anyway.

I belonged to Curves for a while, but got bored with the circuit training routine.
Right now, I am doing a couple different Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's at home, and my DH is doing them with me. Even he says they are good exercise!

Ok now you have me curious... what is Kettleball? Never heard of it? Is it like racketball?

I took a Zumba class once and totally tweaked my back. You move a lot of muscles that don't normally get worked out when you do regular training and aerobic exercises. I'd be interested in trying it again, but am hesitant to do so since it really hurt my back bad.I love pilates and walking/light jogging and step classes. I'd love to try a Kettleball class.

Zumba....I started last week and really love the classes. I go twice a week and love it!!

Is it possible for you to join a gym that offers alot of classes? That's what I did. I love the variety!! I can take Body Pump (which is a total body strength training class that is a cardio workout as well), Spinning, Kickboxing, Zumba, Pilates, Water aerobics and more!! I love that I can change it up because I HATE going to the gym! I HATE IT! I love the classes though and I joined with a bunch of friends so we are there for each other which is nice.

http://www.squidoo.com/best-kettlebell-workouts

Kettleballs are on sale at Target this week!

Thanks for the link to the kettleball class. Ketleball's are a long time traditional Russian (I believe) method of weight training, it is VERY new now to add it to a pilates type workout to gain extended strength beyond Pilates.

I would love to do this, as I could really benefit from strength, however, I have yet to find one in my area.

I would also love to join a gym where I could take various classes as I wish, but there is no way we can financially do that ($70- $90 a month here), it will be a stretch to get DH to let me spend the money on classes.

For those that take Zumba, I have a couple of questions regarding the learning curve in the beginning, and how difficult it was for you to catch on or keep up? Does the class frequently change as far as the workout to keep you interested with new moves, etc?

I know a lot of people who have done curves, and they are successful, but then they are always left feeling that there should be a "next step".

robochick84 said:
Thanks for the link to the kettleball class. Ketleball's are a long time traditional Russian (I believe) method of weight training, it is VERY new now to add it to a pilates type workout to gain extended strength beyond Pilates.

I would love to do this, as I could really benefit from strength, however, I have yet to find one in my area.

I would also love to join a gym where I could take various classes as I wish, but there is no way we can financially do that ($70- $90 a month here), it will be a stretch to get DH to let me spend the money on classes.

For those that take Zumba, I have a couple of questions regarding the learning curve in the beginning, and how difficult it was for you to catch on or keep up? Does the class frequently change as far as the workout to keep you interested with new moves, etc?

I know a lot of people who have done curves, and they are successful, but then they are always left feeling that there should be a "next step".

It kinda depends on the teacher. When I take the class they always ask in the beginning if there are new people. Then before the next song begins they go over any new steps that will be introduced. My instructors seem to use the same routine for about 6 weeks before switching it up. In the class I take the instructors will introduce the step then say, "if you want higher intensity you can do this, but feel free to stay with the modified step" I love it!! It is easy to catch on, but alot of the ease of that is on the instructor.

It totally depends on the teacher. I know one that sticks to the same routines every week. Adds a new song every other week.
The Others do different routines on a weekly basis, changes it up, makes it intruiging to see what's new. So Try a teacher till you like her/him.

For beginners, it's not hard at all, each song has certain "moves" ie. salsa, merengue, cumbia, regaeton, african, etc and it's repetitive, so it's not like a FULL on dance routine like a Hip hop or Hustle class.

You will get it quick and if not, just SHAKE IT and you will burn calories and have fun! :)

I agree with Sandra, joining a gym for variety is soo good! I do Zumba, Spin, bootcamp, weights class, yoga and hula and can alos use the treadmill or eliptical trainers and machines. :)

Hope that helps!

I had never heard of Kettle Ball - so thanks for the link! I am going to have to try it.

I had tried free trial periods (several times) at Curves and, personally, I never cared for it. I got bored, too! And that was within 1 week. And it was never enough of a work out for me.

I belong to a gym now and I take classes. I need to get back to the BodyPump class - (I agree - great class/workout). I take a Circuit Training Class 2-3 times a week - the instructor is awesome. And I am trying to do the Bootcamp class (took it Saturday and couldn't walk for 3 days! haha)

When I started the gym, I was taking Zumba, but the instructor started changing it up EVERY class. I think at work all day - so the LAST thing I want to do is think too hard at the gym. So, while I LOVED Zumba, I got tired of concentrating too much on the new steps. But, honestly, just moving to the beat is still good exercise. There are new instructors now - so I might have to go back and check Zumba out again.

I am glad our gym membership is only $24/month!

Another suggestion: Around here, community centers (or area school districts) offer alternative classes pretty cheap. (They have computer, art, exercise classes -that type of thing). So you aren't tied to a year membership. I used to pay something like $36 for 3 months of step class at our community center. Maybe you have something in your area?

AND - don't laugh at me ... but I recently got JUST DANCE for the Wii (it does not require the Fit Board - just the Wii). Well, I can't dance worth a hill of beans - but I MOVE during this game. I don't care if I am spot-on or not. I play (dance) for about 1/2 hour and I am sweating!!! As far as a game - it really isn't good (it's kind of cheesy) - but I have discovered that I really like dancing to this and I fell like I get a good aerobic workout. (Of course, DH is NOT allowed to watch! haha!)

The gym in the town where I work offers Zumba on Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons. If it was Saturday afternoons and weekday mornings I would go for it. No way I can go work out at 4 p.m. in the afternoon and I'm not driving 18 miles each way to work out on a Saturday!

Zumba all the way--never had so much fun exercising in my life

LOL, I'd say the Zumba is the majority consensus! :)

Zumba and KettleBells are probably the best workouts, in addition to Vinyasa Flow yoga and Pilates Reformer workouts. I do yoga and Pilates reformer, and have done Zumba and Kettlebells classes in the past. All 4 are great workouts for the total body, and will raise your heart rate while also using muscles and your body to create the resistance.

I have never tried Curves, but don't think it is the kind of "hard-core" workout that someone who is trying to lose weight would need. It is more of a low-impact "maintenance" type of workout.

Hope that helps - and ANY exercise is good exercise, so get out there and do it!! :)

Thanks everyone, I think I am definitely going to try the Zumba class!

They seem to be at rather inconvenient times in my area (i.e. 9 am or 4pm) geared towards mom's, etc. When you work a normal "9-5" and are tied up between 8 and 6 it has limited my choices as far as days, locations, and instructors.

I will be sure to give everyone an update in a couple of weeks if I live through the first few classes! :balloon:

A word of advice: If you are interested in Zumba, go to Zumba.com, enter your area code and find classes in your area. Be advised that the price varies WIDELY. One charges $8 a class, one charges $10 to get into the rec center and another $8 for the class, and a YMCA with the SAME INSTRUCTOR wants $15 for a pass for SEVEN CLASSES ... and that's for NON MEMBERS. Several classes are available on Saturday mornings.I think I am going to try the $8 class since it's near me before I commit, then switch to the Y that's 10 miles away. I figure that if Mandisa of American Idol fame can lose 70 lbs doing Zumba, than so can I!

Thanks for posting this! I need a kick in the butt to get started...then I get into getting in shape mode. I checked out local Zumba classes that are on my way home from work time wise & location wise. Then I know I'll go. Once I get started, I'll add my many diverse DVDs that are currently collecting dust. My DD did Jillian Michaels and in 30 days managed to "zip her dress" for her step-daughters wedding. She looks great!

BTW-Swimsuits are also in the Target ad :eek:.....there's incentive :rolleyes:

Chef Endora said:
Thanks for posting this! I need a kick in the butt to get started...then I get into getting in shape mode. I checked out local Zumba classes that are on my way home from work time wise & location wise. Then I know I'll go. Once I get started, I'll add my many diverse DVDs that are currently collecting dust. My DD did Jillian Michaels and in 30 days managed to "zip her dress" for her step-daughters wedding. She looks great!

BTW-Swimsuits are also in the Target ad :eek:.....there's incentive :rolleyes:

HAHA! Even when I wore a size 4 I wouldn't put my flabby body in a bikini! :yuck:

I did major flab damage to mine when I was super heavy, and I've never been able to get rid of all the skin, etc.

I am the same way, its all about just adding it to my schedule.

Good Luck!

robochick84 said:
HAHA! Even when I wore a size 4 I wouldn't put my flabby body in a bikini! :yuck:

I did major flab damage to mine when I was super heavy, and I've never been able to get rid of all the skin, etc.

I am the same way, its all about just adding it to my schedule.

Good Luck!

Wow, congrats.. that's Awesome! How'd you manage to lose all your weight and stay that small??

Well ... didn't make it today. I could still make the one in the Falls but want to try it locally before I commit to a 7 week program.

Woke up and the TV was on ... advertising Zumba CDs. $60 to $80 for a program that will be set aside and never used!

I do wish they offered morning classes on weekdays. It's all 4, 6 or 7 p.m. and Saturday mornings.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Well ... didn't make it today. I could still make the one in the Falls but want to try it locally before I commit to a 7 week program.

Woke up and the TV was on ... advertising Zumba CDs. $60 to $80 for a program that will be set aside and never used!

I do wish they offered morning classes on weekdays. It's all 4, 6 or 7 p.m. and Saturday mornings.

Re: the $60 set. I ordered those before I knew what Zumba was. It was a great Beginner tool! It has a Basic intro.. 20min workout... abs... live cardio party...toning set with weight things with workout cd and a 55min cardio burn. So it was a good beginning to learning Most of the Zumba moves! :)
Once I felt comfortable and I heard they were offering it in my gym, I graduated to live classes. I do use my cds though, I when/if I cannot make it to the gym! :)

heat123 said:
Wow, congrats.. that's Awesome! How'd you manage to lose all your weight and stay that small??

Not easy at all, and I am a huge yo-yo'er with my non-existent thyroid. I have a "great diet" but depending on if my thyroid is working or not I can gain or loose 5-10 pounds in a month without even thinking, let's just say I have a broad wardrobe!

robochick84 said:
Not easy at all, and I am a huge yo-yo'er with my non-existent thyroid. I have a "great diet" but depending on if my thyroid is working or not I can gain or loose 5-10 pounds in a month without even thinking, let's just say I have a broad wardrobe!

Well good job! I know what it's like to be a YO YOer.. I'm constantly either dieting or heavier :(... never maintaining once I reach a certain goal. I am going to try and rememdy that.. now that I started a Biggest loser competition. IT ends in April but I will try and maintain what I lost! :rolleyes:;)

Yeah ... but my only DVD is in the living room, so the only time I can see myself doing it are the times that Roomie is sleeping when I am actually home! Not something I can see myself doing. If somebody had it I would borrow it though .. and that guy who runs it is really cute!

My roomie knows sombody who is in the class I'm thinking of and has heard the horror stories. Currently ignoring Roomie's huge vote of no confidence in me ...

robochick84 said:
I have been considering some type of fitness class for a few months now, and I am ready to get started, I am just having trouble choosing between the options out there.

Some of them that I have considered or heard of:

-Curves
-Zumba
-Kettleball

If you have done any of these or others, I would love to have some recommendations on why you did or did not like the program!

Thanks!

Another option for ya... I have recently taken up Spin or cycle classes. They are a Workout! I sweat like No other in those classes!:p More so than than the Zumbas. Just FYI. But I still stand by-recommend Zumba too! :D

I had never heard about Zumba until about 3 nights ago, when a gal in my workplace gym fired up a DVD for it. She has a class starting next week and was prepping for it. Fun, fun, fun! I couldn't keep up, but going half pace was still a good workout.Totally understand about the home DVD player being in the wrong place. I'd whack the TV if I tried any fitness workouts in my living room. Lucky me, I am so glad I just started this new job and it has a gym for employees. Treadmills, ellipticals, weight machines, and the "dance room" with a DVD player and mirrors.I checked out a few fitness DVDs from my local library and have been trying them out the past few weeks. Pilates (some were OK) , Billy Blanks Bootcamp, and from your post I just checked online and I reserved some Zumba DVDs. Thanks!I like to mix it up, too. Pilates reminds me a lot of the jazz dance classes I took years ago - the warmups to the dancing were pilate exercises, basically.Just thought I'd mention, if your local library has these kinds of DVDs, it's an inexpensive way to check out different exercise regimes. Kettle balls, I have seen at Target. Library doesn't have anything on them....yet.

1. What are the benefits of taking a dance/fitness class?

There are many potential benefits to taking a dance/fitness class, including improved cardiovascular health, increased muscle strength and flexibility, stress relief, and potential weight loss. It can also be a fun and social way to stay active and meet new people.

2. Which class is best for a beginner?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and fitness goals. Zumba is known for its high-energy dance routines, while Curves focuses on strength training using resistance machines. Kettlebell classes typically involve a combination of aerobic and strength training exercises. Consider trying a few different classes to see which one feels like the best fit for you.

3. What should I look for in a dance/fitness class?

When choosing a class, consider the instructor's qualifications and experience, the class size and atmosphere, and the types of exercises and equipment used. It's also important to make sure the class is at an appropriate level for your fitness level and goals.

4. How do I know if a certain class is right for me?

The best way to determine if a class is right for you is to try it out. Most fitness studios and gyms offer trial classes or free introductory sessions. This will give you a chance to experience the class and see if it aligns with your interests and fitness goals.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of dance/fitness classes?

Some potential drawbacks of dance/fitness classes may include the cost of membership or class fees, potential for injury if proper form is not maintained, and the time commitment required for regular attendance. It's important to listen to your body and make sure you are not pushing yourself too hard in class, and to also find a class that fits within your budget and schedule.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jcsmilez
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • PChef_ang