• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unpopular Recipes: Tips for Improving Your Cooking Skills

In summary, many PC recipes have been tried and disliked by members of the community. Artichoke Bread Bowl dip and One-pot pasta were some particularly disliked dishes, as were PB&J Pie, Clubhouse Chicken Squares, Dijon Chicken Noodle Toss, Turkey Cranberry Wreath, Lemon Pepper Crab Canapes, Jerk Seasoning, Seafood Pizza, Skillet Lasagna, Toasted Angel Hair and Sausage, Moroccan Chicken Wedge, Lemon Greek Chicken, Micro Cakes, and Cilantro and Dill. Most of the dislike was due to personal taste preferences and ingredients in the dish that people found unpleasant.
koima
Are there PC recipes you've tried and just didn't like? I made the artichoke bread bowl the other night and my whole family didn't like it. It was a little too sour, very salty (the soup mix?), and didn't have a great flavor. I followed the recipe to a T so I'm not sure what went wrong. My husband asked me to not try that one again, and he'll eat just about anything. :(

which brand of soup mix did you use? I liked the Knorr one better than the (oh, darn, what's it's name...my host used it at her show...) I really liked it when I had it at my Fall Open House, but not quite as much at a show that I did. She had a friend who just really decided it was the artichoke flavor she didn't care for.

the shortcakes in the new consultant kit are yummy but messy. i made them at home and not at shows.

I really can't get used to the one-pot pasta - the cheese gets me...

janetupnorth said:

Funny...that's one of my favourites! It was funny, the other night I made it for myself for supper and DH came in later and said "what's the stink?" ;)

I can't think right now what I don't like...:rolleyes:....will have to give it some thought.

Clubhouse Chicken Squares, for me, were gross. I liked it better when I warmed it up. I don't like cold bacon and cheese like that. I know it's a huge hit with many people, though, so I'm probably just weird.

Dijon Chicken Noodle Toss from Power Cooking Chicken....blech!

I can't stand anything that's full of mushrooms or coconut.

PB&J pie from All the Best Cookbook

I don't care for coconut and I'm allergic to raspberries, blackberries and mulberries (to the point that I can't even be around them, just breathing in the juice can do me in) so I don't offer raspberry dishes to my hosts.

I was surprised when I LOVED the dijon chicken noodle thingy, but I did NOT like the bread bowl dip either. I am not a big fan of anything with packet mix soup in it... Give me from scratch anyday!

Annabel, you and me both! I'm a from scratch cook and I'm not used to cooking with mixes, pre-made biscuits and doughs, etc. My show recipe of 3-cheese garden pizza is good because it's mostly whole foods (how I cook) and I found that Trader Joe's has whole wheat bread dough with just a few recognizable ingredients, so I've made that a bunch of times.

(I know I'm something of a food snob, and I'm new, and don't cook meat, so I really am limiting myself into a corner, haha.)

ltkacz said:
PB&J pie from All the Best Cookbook

I gotta say I was disappointed in the PB&J pie myself, even if it did look quite nice!

trader joes has ww bread dough? in a can? what about crescent rolls in a can?

try to add a box of creamed spinach to the bread bowl artichoke dip (i didn't care for it either, it was sour) But I love it with the spinach added!

pizza dough at TJ's is in a bag in the produce section.

Funny, my host last week made the Artichoke Dip in a Bread Bowl. She and her guests loved it.We're all so different. I tend to be a pretty picky eater, so I don't even try a lot of recipes with "icky" ingredients. Others find them very tasty, though.

That's one of the reasons I've been trying to take the cookbooks to shows - so that people can flip through them and decide which one suits them best. I only had a couple with me last night, and wished I had them all.

Not a big fan of the Turkey cranberry wreath - thought I would be but it was lacking something for me!

Lemon Pepper Crab Canapes (ATB) :yuck:

BethCooks4U said:
I can't stand anything that's full of mushrooms or coconut.

I knew I liked you Beth... Add olives to that list for me!

I don't really like any of the rings, wreaths, or braids. I don't demo much with the crescent roll dough - only if they host specifically wants it.

I also really don't like that chocolate filled bread that you bake in the mini loaves (recipe is in All The Best). I thought that was disgusting - and we ended up throwing most of it away.:yuck:

Oh - and I don't like the Jerk Seasoning. So I only like the Jerk Chicken Nachos if I sub the Chipotle Rub for the Jerk Rub.:rolleyes:

Well, we know Kacey hates Cilantro and Dill! :) LOL!

I hate the jerk chicken nachos! We don't like the jerk seasoning at all at my house.

I haven't tried it, but there's a seafood pizza in ATB that looks absolutely disgusting.

koima said:
Are there PC recipes you've tried and just didn't like? I made the artichoke bread bowl the other night and my whole family didn't like it. It was a little too sour, very salty (the soup mix?), and didn't have a great flavor. I followed the recipe to a T so I'm not sure what went wrong. My husband asked me to not try that one again, and he'll eat just about anything. :(

use 1 tsp of lemon juice instead of 2 tbsp. unbelievably better!!!

mpkegley said:
I hate the jerk chicken nachos! We don't like the jerk seasoning at all at my house.

eating those right now! I'm addicted...However, I must say that I was out of our Jerk Rub, and I used another brand. Definitely not as good!!!

mpkegley said:

Same here:yuck: - but the nachos are GREAT if you use the Chipotle Rub instead!:thumbup:

susanr613 said:
trader joes has ww bread dough? in a can? what about crescent rolls in a can?

It's not in a can. It's fresh in a plastic bag near the pre-made salads and hummus. You have to roll it out yourself.

No crescent rolls, I don't think, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

janetupnorth said:

My husband asked me not to ever make that again too.

Skillet Lasagna :yuck: Dh said it was gross & he eats anything!

I did not care for the Artichoke Bread Bowl dip either... something about it just didn't taste right, and it was a little on the salty side. I used the Knorr veg. soup mix.

The only thing so far that I haven't cared for was the Toasted Angel hair and Sausage one out of 29 Mins to Dinner. Maybe I need to make it with better quality sausage.

crystalscookingnow said:
Skillet Lasagna :yuck: Dh said it was gross & he eats anything!
We really liked this, but I think you have to be careful with the marinara sauce and I always add a little more seasoning, a pinch of sugar and of course MORE cheese!!! It actually turned out really good, but I would definetely break the noodles up waaaay smaller than what it says.
I don't like the moroccan chicken wedge things that came out in the last SB and is in this one too. Blech. :yuck:

Lemon Greek Chicken - too bland. will try next time with double the spices. I also prefer chicken thighs which decreases the time from 60 min to 40 min at 425deg. The smoke chicken fettucine was bland too. Maybe it's because I live in the Bay Area and we have lots of ethnic foods to choose from that makes me think some recipes need a little kick???

I dont care for the micro cakes... :eek:
they always seem dry... :(
and forget about eating it the next day... :yuck:

I am a super picky eater so I won't try anything artichoke. I won't try the one-pot pasta and other things. But I do have to say, I LOVE the chicken & broccoli & lemon chicken wreaths/braids and I love the taco one too. The recipes that I will make tend to be ones I like b/c I hate going to a show and having the hostess or a customer ask my why I am not eating and even when I say I am busy or not hungry they shove a plate in front of me and I don't want to have to force down something nasty.

Laura420 said:
I dont care for the micro cakes... :eek:
they always seem dry... :(
and forget about eating it the next day... :yuck:

I don't even consider those a recipe.:rolleyes::D:yuck:

Well, I was trying to do that cool multi-quote thing, but I'm terrible at figuring things out....so just pretend that the 2 comments about the micro cakes are quoted here" " and now my reply!
I love doing the micro cakes as a recipe at shows!!!! :love::thumbup: Mine are NEVER dry, always moist and wonderful, and work well the next few days!! I always sell multiple fluted stones when I demo this and I also tell them about my fluted stone chicken recipe that you can do.

I have not tried all recipes yet but of the ones I have had I haven't had anything I didn't like :) As far as the Artichoke Dip goes, I get hosts repeatedly asking for it. But I use an Italian Boule instead of Sourdough. I find that sourdough boules make it more sour. And the everyone likes the Italian better. You only need one because it's much larger than the sourdough also :)

ChefBeckyD said:

Too funny! I was thinking the same thing. I avoid them at all costs!

I guess there are less I "don't" like because in many of the cookbooks, if I didn't like the ingredients, I didn't make them.

c00p said:
Well, I was trying to do that cool multi-quote thing, but I'm terrible at figuring things out....so just pretend that the 2 comments about the micro cakes are quoted here" " and now my reply!
I love doing the micro cakes as a recipe at shows!!!! :love::thumbup: Mine are NEVER dry, always moist and wonderful, and work well the next few days!! I always sell multiple fluted stones when I demo this and I also tell them about my fluted stone chicken recipe that you can do.

I agree. I think that if yours are dry it could be that either you are cooking them too long or using the wrong cake mix. I think some store brands are dryer. Try using the pudding in the mix cakes - Dunkin Hines is always a safe bet.

I hate coconut but I am going to promote that German Chocolate one with my hosts (and I wouldn't be tempted to accept a bite!). Sounds like it would be a great one to show!

ETA: When I started my business I asked my director what she thought I should get with my benefits from my intro show. She suggested the fluted pan and the stoneware round plate (now we have the SA round platter, medium squares and other choices to turn it into) and gave me that recipe. I have used it for 6 years - off and on - a great investment in my business!!

My family didn't like the Tropical Pizza....the only PC recipe we've tried that we truly didn't like!

ChefBeckyD said:

I second that! We are truly cake snobs ;)
However, I will admit that I do love the Peanutty Chocolate Cale that is done in the microwave and (shudder) made with a cake mix :yuck:!

Wasn't too crazy over the Chocolate Raspberry Trifle. Way too rich for me!

Talking of trifles, I don't like the strawberry cream trifle as it is in the book, it is way too sweet for me.

But substitute in some plain yogurt and it'a pretty yummy. I want to try the chocolate raspberry one, but I think I'll cut back the sugar in that one too.

PamperedDor said:
Not a big fan of the Turkey cranberry wreath - thought I would be but it was lacking something for me!

double the cranberries and add water chestnuts or extra celery.

PamperedDor said:
I wish I could remember everything I use to put in mine! I added cream cheese... I know that... I'll look for my recipe and see if I have it typed up the way I "tweaked it!"
It is waaaay better... my way! LOL!;)

when the chocolate raspberry trifle was brought up it reminded me of what I didn't like!! Up until then... I was thiking I like everything.... not really... I just couldn't think of anything..... I did not like that microwave strawberry chocolate cake! I hated the icing/ganache stuff on the top.... it just tasted gross to me!!! :yuck:

micro cakes in the prep bowls - YUCK!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • babywings76
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
its_me_susan