• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can someone share the recipe for caterpillar cake using prep bowls?

Cake turned out great! I used 3 bowls and just colored coconut the same color as the frosting and sprinkled that over the cakes. How did it turn out?
Brookeskitchen
Can someone post or send me the recipe for the caterpillar cake I've seen mentioned using the prep bowls. My son and 3 playmates are turning 1 in May and I want to make this cake for their combined birthday party at Gymboree :)

Thanks,

Brooke
[email protected]

Directions for baking cake in prep bowls...(taken from the mini snowman cake recipe) To bake cakes, preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare one package (9 ounces) yellow or white cake mix (for single layer cake) according to package directions. Grease and flour six Prep Bowls; evenly divide batter into bowls. Bake 20-25 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes 5 minutes in bowls. Carefully invert onto Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely. If necessary, cut off tops of cakes using Serrated Bread Knife to level. If desired, one package (18.25 ounces) cake mix can be substituted for the 9 ounce package. Fill each Prep Bowl with ½ cup batter; reserve remaining batter for another use (such as a single cake layer prepared in the Nonstick Cake Pan or 12 cupcakes prepared in the Stoneware Muffin Pan).

I couldn't find a reference to making a caterpillar cake, but I would just frost them green and yellow or orange and black like caterpillars are. Put eyes on and antenea and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

That is an adorable idea. How about using small jelly beans for spots, or
those cinnamon red dots? We have a caterpillar in our LET'S EAT cookbook for Kids, on page 35, that uses the pretzels for antenna. It is a recipe that
uses bagels as the base. It would be fun, if you would post a photo of what
you do prepare so the rest of us can benefit from your efforts. Thanks,
Grandmarita

I will postit when I've done it. I think I'll probably try to do a short version - using just 3 bowls as a trial run before the actual bday party. I like the idea of pretzels for antennas and dots. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Brooke

Fuzzy caterpillarIf you wanted to you could color coconut the same color as the frosting and sprinkle that over the cakes - just put cocnut in a baggie w/ food coloring and shake until completely colored.

How did it turn out?
Brookeskitchen said:
it when I've done it. I think I'll probably try to do a short version - using just 3 bowls as a trial run before the actual bday party. I like the idea of pretzels for antennas and dots. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Brooke

Enquiring minds (namely, mine) want to know how your cake turned out! Would you be able to post a picture???

Thanks!

Caterpillar Cake pictureThanks Nicole for asking. The file seems to be too big too upload. I'll email the picture to you directly. It's certainly not a professional job - but the kids seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks for asking,

Brooke Chang

Hi Brooke,I would be happy to share the recipe for the caterpillar cake using prep bowls. It's a fun and creative cake that is perfect for a first birthday party! Here's what you'll need:Ingredients:
- 1 box of your favorite cake mix (flavor of your choice)
- 1-2 cans of frosting (color of your choice)
- 8 prep bowls (clear plastic or glass)
- Food coloring (optional)
- Assorted candies for decorating (optional)Instructions:
1. Preheat your oven to the temperature specified on the cake mix box.
2. Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions.
3. Grease and flour the prep bowls and place them upside down on a baking sheet.
4. Pour the cake batter into the bowls, filling them about 2/3 of the way full.
5. Bake the bowls for about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Let the bowls cool completely before removing the cakes from them.
7. If desired, use food coloring to tint the frosting to the desired color.
8. Once the cakes are cooled, place them on a long serving platter or board in a curved line to resemble a caterpillar.
9. Use the frosting to cover the cakes and stick them together to form the "body" of the caterpillar.
10. Use the candies to decorate the caterpillar's face, eyes, and legs.
11. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve and enjoy!I hope this helps and that your son and his playmates have a wonderful first birthday party at Gymboree! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions. Happy baking!

What ingredients do I need to make a Caterpillar Cake?

To make a Caterpillar Cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 box of cake mix
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- Green food coloring
- 1 can of frosting
- Candy eyes
- Licorice or gummy worms for decoration

Can I use a different flavor of cake mix for this recipe?

Yes, you can use any flavor of cake mix for this recipe. However, a white or yellow cake mix is recommended to achieve the bright green color for the caterpillar.

How many servings does this recipe make?

This recipe makes one Caterpillar Cake, which can serve 10-12 people.

Do I need a special cake pan to make this cake?

No, you do not need a special cake pan. This recipe can be made in a regular 9x13 inch baking pan. You can also use a round cake pan and cut the cake into smaller circles to form the caterpillar.

Can I make this cake ahead of time?

Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time. Simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to 2 weeks, just make sure to thaw it before serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PC Nut
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
minirottie
  • shelly.nurse
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Saturday Gourmet
  • Bluiydangl