1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Recipe for Caterpillar Cake

1. Brookeskitchen

Brookeskitchen Novice Member

Can someone post or send me the recipe for the caterpillar cake I've seen mentioned using the prep bowls. My son and 3 playmates are turning 1 in May and I want to make this cake for their combined birthday party at Gymboree :)

Thanks,

Brooke
    brookeskitchen@yahoo.com

2. chefmama

chefmama Guest

Directions for baking cake in prep bowls...

(taken from the mini snowman cake recipe) To bake cakes, preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare one package (9 ounces) yellow or white cake mix (for single layer cake) according to package directions. Grease and flour six Prep Bowls; evenly divide batter into bowls. Bake 20-25 minutes or until Cake Tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes 5 minutes in bowls. Carefully invert onto Stackable Cooling Rack; cool completely. If necessary, cut off tops of cakes using Serrated Bread Knife to level. If desired, one package (18.25 ounces) cake mix can be substituted for the 9 ounce package. Fill each Prep Bowl with ½ cup batter; reserve remaining batter for another use (such as a single cake layer prepared in the Nonstick Cake Pan or 12 cupcakes prepared in the Stoneware Muffin Pan).

I couldn't find a reference to making a caterpillar cake, but I would just frost them green and yellow or orange and black like caterpillars are. Put eyes on and antenea and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

:cool:

Mar 15, 2006
  3. Grandmarita

Grandmarita Advanced Member Gold Member

That is an adorable idea. How about using small jelly beans for spots, or
    those cinnamon red dots? We have a caterpillar in our LET'S EAT cookbook for Kids, on page 35, that uses the pretzels for antenna. It is a recipe that
    uses bagels as the base. It would be fun, if you would post a photo of what
    you do prepare so the rest of us can benefit from your efforts. Thanks,
    Grandmarita

Mar 19, 2006
  4. Brookeskitchen

I will post

it when I've done it. I think I'll probably try to do a short version - using just 3 bowls as a trial run before the actual bday party. I like the idea of pretzels for antennas and dots. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Brooke

5. n8vtxn

n8vtxn Member

Fuzzy caterpillar

If you wanted to you could color coconut the same color as the frosting and sprinkle that over the cakes - just put cocnut in a baggie w/ food coloring and shake until completely colored.

Mar 23, 2006
  6. nikked

nikked Senior Member Gold Member

How did it turn out?

Enquiring minds (namely, mine) want to know how your cake turned out! Would you be able to post a picture???

Thanks!

May 20, 2006
  7. Brookeskitchen

Caterpillar Cake picture

Thanks Nicole for asking. The file seems to be too big too upload. I'll email the picture to you directly. It's certainly not a professional job - but the kids seemed to enjoy it.

Thanks for asking,

Brooke Chang

Have something to add?