• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recipe Disaster Stories: Tales of Kitchen Fails and Lessons Learned

In summary, the conversation revolved around recipe disasters and products that didn't work properly during a demonstration. Some members shared their experiences with recipes that didn't turn out as expected, such as a skillet cake that didn't cook all the way through, a cheese grater that malfunctioned, and a cake that accidentally got broiled in the oven. Others mentioned that they avoid certain recipes, like cakes in the microwave or dishes with phyllo dough, to prevent potential disasters. Overall, it seemed that most of the issues were due to incorrect cooking methods or missing ingredients.
cwinter474
Gold Member
Wondering if anyone ever had a recipe disaster? You know a recipe that you had alot of trouble with and will never demo again.

Mine was an electric stove and the skillet cake... darn thing never did cook all the way thru, almost burnt around the edges and runny in the middle. I really think part of her burner wasn't working right. Anyway, that is one I don't care to do again.

You?

Skillet cakes are supposed to be cooked in the oven, not on the stove :)

dannyzmom said:
Skillet cakes are supposed to be cooked in the oven, not on the stove :)

That was my exact thought - Unless there is one that we aren't away of!!

I haven't had a disaster yet with an actual recipe - I practice it at home a few times before doing it at a show - but having products not work right - well, thats another thread!! LOL !!!

Skillet cakes from the Una Muestra tend to be stovetop cakes. There was a chocolate pineapple upside down one that's really good, but it takes a little finessing to get it to cook properly.

Not my fault but my host forgot ice cream and chocolate chips for the Strawberry Velvet Cake so it was slightly different.

Oh and the Deluxe Cheese Grater malfunctioned one time! I never have problems at home and gave it to a guest to grate the cheese (I should have done most of it myself ahead of time). Well, she kept grating and grating and grating and didn't tell me nothing was coming out. The whole thing was jam packed in the barrel. I had to use the kitchen shears to get it out. I joked with them that I would understand if no one bought one today but that it is my favorite product and gets used at my house alot.

Truffle Brownie cups....not my fault...the host didn't have enough chocolate chips and had me use white chocolate chips....the filling NEVER set up....was super runny. They still tasted yummy, but never will do them again at a show.

I make them all the time at home though and they come out perfect!

Choclate velvet cake in the microwave, microwave was too small,:( cooked it in the oven and the hostess accidently turned the oven on broil while it was cooking,:cry: I caught before it was totally runined, had to cut the black, burnt part off,:yuck: but go to demo the bread knife.:D it still tasted good, was just a little (whole lot) shorter......:cool:

I will never do a cake in the microwave, either in the fluted stone or in the rice cooker, at a show again. Nor will I do anything with phyllo dough. Too much room for something to go wrong.

It wasn't a disaster, but I left the corn syrup out of the Chocolate Pecan Lattice Tart at a show. It was still good, just not really chewy.

I know that most of the cakes cut in the oven, I don't know remember what recipe it was but I know it was meant to be cooked on the stove top.

Sounds like alot of the near disasters are microwave issues or ingredient related.

1. What should I do if my recipe turns out to be a disaster?

If you have a recipe disaster, don't panic! The first thing you should do is try to identify where things went wrong. Make sure you followed the instructions correctly and double check your measurements. If you can pinpoint the issue, you may be able to salvage the dish. If not, don't be afraid to start over or try a different recipe.

2. Can I still serve a recipe that didn't turn out perfectly?

Absolutely! While it's always disappointing when a recipe doesn't turn out as expected, it doesn't mean it's inedible. You can try to present the dish in a different way, such as adding a garnish or serving it with a complementary side. And remember, homemade food doesn't have to be perfect to be delicious!

3. How can I prevent recipe disasters in the future?

One of the best ways to prevent recipe disasters is to read through the entire recipe before starting and make sure you have all the necessary ingredients and equipment. It's also important to follow the instructions closely and not make substitutions unless you are familiar with how they will affect the dish. And don't be afraid to ask for help or advice from experienced cooks!

4. What if I don't have a specific ingredient called for in the recipe?

If you don't have a specific ingredient, you can try to find a suitable substitution or omit it altogether. Just keep in mind that the final result may be slightly different than the original recipe. You can also search for alternative recipes that use ingredients you have on hand.

5. Can I still return Pampered Chef products if my recipe doesn't turn out well?

Yes, our products come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund or exchange. Just make sure to keep your receipt or proof of purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
lt1jane
Replies
Views
baychef
  • akrebecca
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies