• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Effortless Weight Loss: My Experience with Effective Diets for Food Lovers

I've also found that if I try to run on an empty stomach, I can feel a headache coming on within 30 minutes. So, I usually do a light jog or walk before I run. And, I always drink plenty of water--I'm pretty sure that's why I don't have any headaches. I'm Puerto Rican, so I definitely have a bias towards Latin food. I've also found that I'm not as hungry during the day if I eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. I like to experiment with different spices on my food, and I've gotten pretty creative with stuff. I think it's important to make sure that you have lots of fresh vegetables to munch on and that you
brendaivette
Anybody done a diet that actually worked.................I have zilch for willpower and need to loose 20-25 lbs......done some South Beach, tried the lemonade diet................HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but love food especially latin food...........I'm Puerto Rican,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dieting is hard. One trick I've found is to use my favorite spices but to make sure I'm eating more fresh vegetables. I've gotten pretty creative with stuff.

This past weekend I made my husband sweet potato "chips" that had just a little oil drizzled over them and then sprinkled with our asian seasoning. Later this week I'm doing the same thing with our rosemary herb seasonoing.

I think its important to make sure that you have lots of fresh vegetables to munch on and that you allow yourself treats in moderation (like a single snack/halloween size candy bar).

I marinate and grill a lot of vegetables in the summer for snacking on. Seasonings used include italian , other a ginger garlic, I've even done chili seasoning as well as tumeric. I grill tons of things including portabello mushrooms, baby bellas, baby carrots, tomatoes, peppers of all shapes and sizes and spiciness, onions, corn on the cob, and even potatoes. I grill using a george foreman grill.

We also eat a lot of brown rice which makes you feel fuller while eating less and has much more nutrients then white rice. Check out some of the forbidden rices and things from Lotus Foods (http://tinyurl.com/btq2e
) . Again I've used some pretty strange seasoning including chili and tumeric, just experiment a lot.

Take a look at your favorite recipes and see where you can decrease the fat and calories while maintaing the taste. Make things from scratch instead of bought from the store so they are healthier (only takes a few extra minutes for many things). The real goal with dieting should be to create a balanced diet that one can comfortably keep for life.

The best "diet" is to eat healthy foods in moderation and exercise!

From what I've heard, Weight Watchers is the plan that best simulates real life.

WOW!! all those spices sound so good....................... today i think i did good...............for lunch had some fish (tilapia) seasoned with our Asian seasoning and red onions and green peppers and some vegetable, broccoli, sweet peas and corn with some butter................

but what to do about cravings.......................bread is my weakness

I really dislike any "diet" that blocks out entire food groups. I think you can eat whatever foods you like, just not the whole plate of it. kwim? If you want a slice of bread, go for it. Just don't eat the loaf.
And... here's what *I* need to start doing... get UP and GO do something that remotely gets your heart pounding! :D

Hey Brenda,

I just realized you're on Kristi's team. Welcome!!!!!

Mmm....bread is so good....

yes, Kristi is wonderful!!! She's heading for director soon................

I guess after 3 kids, I'm still trying to loose the weight from my 1st pregnancy......... lol

Use moderation in everything, but don't deny yourself anything entirely (that's what make you binge eventually). My husband has a great book called FIT DADDY, FAT DADDY (or maybe vice versa), and it has several pieces of GREAT advice. Here are a few:

1. Eat three meals and two snacks a day. Breakfast is essential because it gets your body metabolizing right off the bat in the morning. Meal portions should be no larger than your outstretched hand (equivalent of two slices of pizza), and snack portions should be about one-third of meal portions.

2. Remember that fat and carbs and calories are a must to keep your body running properly, and they work together--don't try to cut any one of them out entirely. Just try to cut back on all a little bit. (Side note--the Atkins' diet was originally proposed as a quick weight-loss solution for overweight patients undergoing surgeries where they had to lose a lot of weight quickly--it's not intended for a long-haul kind of diet, no matter what Atkins said)

3. Don't eat within three hours of bedtime (I find this is the hardest part to follow through with, but it's also one of the most effective pieces of the puzzle).

4. Exercise EVERY DAY. Take the stairs, park far away from the door, walk around the block with the kids--whatever you can do to be active a total of an hour a day.

5. Don't deny yourself the things you love. Have three Oreos as your snack once or twice a week. Just pair them with skim milk, and have them pre-portioned in a baggie so that you don't eat the whole bag. If you deny yourself what you love entirely, when you have an opportunity, you'll seize it and eat way too much.

I'm a runner by nature--I just love running. But since I turned 30 and had a second child, getting the weight to come off and stay off has been harder than ever. I'm enforcing these rules pretty strongly on myself recently. I'll be running the Hood-2-Coast Relay in August, and I have to be in better shape for that! (just FYI for anyone in the Portland area!)

brendaivette said:
WOW!! all those spices sound so good....................... today i think i did good...............for lunch had some fish (tilapia) seasoned with our Asian seasoning and red onions and green peppers and some vegetable, broccoli, sweet peas and corn with some butter................

but what to do about cravings.......................bread is my weakness

You did do good.

Well if you truly feel full you will decrease the cravings a bit. A 1/4 cup brown rice to your above meal and you probaby would have felt full at the end of the meal.

I agree with the person that said "have a slice". A single slice of bread is ok, its when we have too much that it is not as good. Also try some of the healthier whole grain breads. This does not work for me if I'm craving bread I want BREAD not that whole grain stuff but it works for some people.

I think the problem with most diets is that we restrict ourselves too much and that makes the cravings worse. Letting yourself have a few bites will reduce the cravings and reduce the guilt which creates a bad cycle that kills most diets.

I started weight watchers about a month ago and have lost 10lbs. It's not about eliminating certain foods, but controlling portion sizes and eating more fruits and vegetables. I would definitely recommend it to any one who has tried "diets" that don't work

Multi-vitamins are helpful, too. That way you know you're getting all the nutrients you need.

I have to disagree with step 3 You should never go more than 3-4 hours without food (at least a snack) unless you are sleeping.

Fats are importants as long as they are the good fats, olive oil, Omega 3 etc.

Almost any food you love can be modified to make it a little healtheir. I believe in the 90/10 rule If you eat good 90% of the time you can splurge some but most people are not eating well 90% of the time.

Lean protiens, fruits, veggies, and whole grains and reduced fat dairy will get you to your goal.

Weight Watchers is the way to go!! I have had several friends and my sister lose 40-50#'s with Weight Watcher's. I went in 1999 and it is a wonderful program. They teach you how to eat and encourage you to make the best choices. I lost the 20#'s I needed to lose and have kept it off!! When I put something in my mouth I know what is going to happen!! Weighing in each week holds YOU accountable for your loss or gain, no excuses!! Also, excercise allows you to eat more, so always add excercise to your daily schedule, even if it is a 15 minute walk on your lunch hour. I am 42 years old and have taken up hoola-hooping!! My sons girlfriend makes these industrial size hoola-hoops for $10, they are heavier and larger than the ones you buy in the store for kids and she puts colorful tape on them to make them look fun!! Mine is white, green and purple and my sisters is purple, orange and white. You wanna talk about a workout. I feel it in my waist, calves, arms, back, just about everywhere!! And its fun!! You can hoola-hoop inside or outside and you can take your hoola-hoop where ever you go!! My sister took hers to a bon fire this weekend and everyone had a blast trying out her hoola-hoop, they all said they felt like they had a total work out the next day!!:D My sons girlfriend lost 25#'s hoola hooping!! That's what got all of us started!!

Jayne said:
I am 42 years old and have taken up hoola-hooping!! My sons girlfriend makes these industrial size hoola-hoops for $10, they are heavier and larger than the ones you buy in the store for kids and she puts colorful tape on them to make them look fun!!

That sounds like great fun!! Would she consider shipping one? I used to love hula hooping when I was a kid. I've tried it on the ones in the store, but they are not quite right. I think I have a little too much bodily interference to work it right.

Let us know about the shipping thing!! Thanks! Congratulations on your weight loss!

Oooop...I guess its been soooo long since I hula hooped that I forgot how to spell it:eek: I will have to check to see how much it would cost to ship. My Hula Hoop is 39" high, plus you would have to package it in something. Let me check it out and I will get back to you!:D

I have a fatty liver and my doctor had me go to the dietitian and she put me on a low fat/low carb diet. I can still have most things just in moderation. I am not suppose to have more than 5 grams of fat per serving and I stay around 45 carbs per meal. I can eat as many fresh veggies and salad as I need but still get other good things. I started this last year in May and lost 25 pounds. I didn't stay as strict but have gained 5 pounds back. So, I got my food journal out yesterday and am trying to go by that again.
I think it is important to keep a food journal. Write down everything that goes into your mouth, then you know what needs to go and what you are eating. Good luck!!!

then you have all the left over from the kids and all the goodies they like to eat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i must tell myself,,,,,,,,,HAVE MORE WILLPOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually lost 20+ lbs on the Weight Watcher's Core program to fit into my wedding gown. I purchased the dream dress about 2 sized to small. I think of the commercial/franchise programs The Core program is the healthiest. \

Weight Watchers is the only thing I have done that is effective and realistic. You don't cut out any one group of things, and instead have a healthy balance and learn the importance of portion control. Food journaling is a huge help. It's about working smarter, not harder and certainy not depriving yourself of the foods you love. I HIGHLY suggest the meetings however. They really help to motivate you and no one weighs you in public or berates you -- they are very very supportive. When you first start it's so important to have that accountability. Doing it online or using someone elses materials is just not nearly as effective.

better life 30-dayshere is a plan that works with you I have used it and lost some weight. It is broken into 3 parts, a mini cleanse, next part is reduced intake then lastly is learning to eat the right portions. you can check it out at http://www.betterlifeunlimited.com/ the real nice thing is nothing is off limits as long as you eat the right portions. you never feel hunger either, because of snacks mixed through out the day. Just remember you can do what ever you set your mind to do.

I have to jump on the Weight Watchers bandwagon! I am an extremely healthy eater - no artificial ingredients, whole grains, fruits ,veggies, organic dairy and meats....no HFCS or hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils......and I still had a hard time losing weight. WW has really helped me to be aware of what and how much I am actually eating, and to make sure I am balancing my meals and snacks properly. I don't do Core - because that calls for alot of artificial sweeteners, and fat-free cheeses and other ff dairy (and most ff dairy is made thru adding in alot of chemicals - which I stay away from) but I do the Flex Plan while eating mostly Core Foods. And while we eat a mostly "whole-foods" diet at our house - we allow for plenty of treats - I agree with the 90/10 rule! If you don't have the occasional treats, life is just no fun at all!

I am a Weight Watchers fan myself. I joined last May and have lost and kept off 50 lbs. As mentioned in earlier posts, it's learning that you CAN eat, but control the portion. WW really does teach you real life eating. There are two plans: Flex, in which you count Points, and Core, which you eat a variety of foods but eliminate quite a few as well (it focuses more on the healthy foods and teaches you to eat until you're full). I do a combination of both. I count Points, but really focus on eating healthy. The motto I follow is: "Garbage In, Garbage Out", meaning that when I eat junk food, I feel like junk! When I eat healthy, I just feel SO much better.

I think WW really teaches you a lot about yourself, esp. the triggers that make you crave food. You learn how to re-think.

Just as important, or even more importantly, is exercise (WW refers to it as "activity"). Remember that you can be thin and not be healthy. If you have the attitude that "I have to exercise to lose weight", chances are, you'll stop exercising once the weight comes off, and guess what? It'll come right back on again!! Exercise needs to be a part of your life, just as is brushing your teeth, taking showers, etc.

It's all about making healthy choices in our lives: eating to fuel our bodies, not our emotions, exercising to keep our hearts and bodies healthy. Of course, most of us give in to temptation from time to time, but it's important not to beat yourself up over it. Pick up and move on:D .

Good luck on your quest - it's lifelong!! On another note, it sounds like from this thread and a few others that are floating around that there are quite a few of us looking to live healthier lives, so there's a lot of support here. I'm looking forward to hearing others' opinions and success stories!

Oh, to the poster who commented about eating their kids' leftovers (I'm a huge chicken nugget fan myself:D ), I say "better to waste than my waist!"

Weight Watchers! I have been on the program since July 2006 and have lost 65 pounds! I have less than 20 to go to get to Lifetime membership.

dianevill said:
I am a Weight Watchers fan myself. I joined last May and have lost and kept off 50 lbs. As mentioned in earlier posts, it's learning that you CAN eat, but control the portion. WW really does teach you real life eating. There are two plans: Flex, in which you count Points, and Core, which you eat a variety of foods but eliminate quite a few as well (it focuses more on the healthy foods and teaches you to eat until you're full). I do a combination of both. I count Points, but really focus on eating healthy. The motto I follow is: "Garbage In, Garbage Out", meaning that when I eat junk food, I feel like junk! When I eat healthy, I just feel SO much better.

I think WW really teaches you a lot about yourself, esp. the triggers that make you crave food. You learn how to re-think.

Just as important, or even more importantly, is exercise (WW refers to it as "activity"). Remember that you can be thin and not be healthy. If you have the attitude that "I have to exercise to lose weight", chances are, you'll stop exercising once the weight comes off, and guess what? It'll come right back on again!! Exercise needs to be a part of your life, just as is brushing your teeth, taking showers, etc.

It's all about making healthy choices in our lives: eating to fuel our bodies, not our emotions, exercising to keep our hearts and bodies healthy. Of course, most of us give in to temptation from time to time, but it's important not to beat yourself up over it. Pick up and move on:D .

Good luck on your quest - it's lifelong!! On another note, it sounds like from this thread and a few others that are floating around that there are quite a few of us looking to live healthier lives, so there's a lot of support here. I'm looking forward to hearing others' opinions and success stories!

Oh, to the poster who commented about eating their kids' leftovers (I'm a huge chicken nugget fan myself:D ), I say "better to waste than my waist!"

Totally agree Diane with the "Activity"......Dh and I have been doing Pilates together on weekday mornings and then we walk and bike on the weekends - I feel so much better, and feel better about myself when I exercise!

Oh - and Diane - the need to make sure my DS is a part of the "clean plate club", even if that means eating it myself, is the very reason I joined WW - now I THROW IT AWAY instead of eating it! I never stopped to think how many calories there were in those few extra bites at every meal! It was like eating a whole extra meal everyday!

ChefBeckyD said:
I never stopped to think how many calories there were in those few extra bites at every meal! It was like eating a whole extra meal everyday!

Exactly!!! Just track how many calories/Points are in those "oh, it's just a bite" bites of food and you'd be surprised! I was also guilty of munching while cooking. Sometimes I would have eaten a whole meal before I even sat down to eat...

I'm a huge fan of exercise. I switch mine daily. Sometimes I do a 5 mile walk/run (I run a mile, walk a mile...), the next day I'll do Pilates, and then I'll throw in Tae Bo w/ resistance bands (my fave) or aerobics. I really believe that exercise is the key!!! Awesome for you, Becky, that your DH joins. Now if only I could get MY DH to believe...Exercise for him is lifting the remote control and using more than 1 finger to switch channels. Sigh...

I am a WW member too and I have lost 60 lbs s far. I would recommend going to the meetings as opposed to online.

I am now in the process of going more organic and eliminating hydogenated oils and modified oils. These are nasty critters found in ALOT of stuff. The Weight Watcher Cakes are full of them - ACK!

Anyway, I credit WW for showing me how to control my eating and making healthier options. I am trying to not lean on the program so much now and I am still losing weight. WW is a great starting point thats for sure.

JMT

M

mistym said:
I am now in the process of going more organic and eliminating hydogenated oils and modified oils. These are nasty critters found in ALOT of stuff. The Weight Watcher Cakes are full of them - ACK!
M

Congrats on your weight loss! I agree with the WW Cakes - I'm actually allergic to one of the chemicals, but we can't figure out which one because there are so many chemicals in them!

By the way, thanks for posting, Misty. I have a fear that I really AM a thread killer, so I was glad someone responded after my last post:D. Maybe I should go to that other thread and post. I'd kill it once and for all:eek: .

That's the only thing that bugs me about WW - all the chemicals and artificial colors etc.....in the WW brand foods...plus the artificial sweeteners in EVERYTHING! I am doing well though doing WW but using whole foods and natural sweeteners. I just like how aware it makes me of the food I am putting in my mouth. Lots of mindless eating was going on here! (I ate alot while I was in the kitchen prepping too Diane!)

Lost 80 pounds....12 years ago, kept it off until I got pregnant 4 1/2 years ago. I did it with Medical Weight Loss (www.mwlc.com). Unfortanately, I didn't start my diet back up when I "hatched" 4 1/2 years ago like I should have.

I started following it again last week (last Tuesday to be exact) and I'm already down 10 pounds! Now, I'm working on the remaining 30 (I gained 85 pounds pregnant!!).

1. What is "Effortless Weight Loss" all about?

"Effortless Weight Loss" is a book that shares the author's personal experience with various effective diets for food lovers. It provides tips, insights, and strategies on how to lose weight without sacrificing the enjoyment of food.

2. Are the diets mentioned in the book difficult to follow?

No, the diets mentioned in the book are not difficult to follow. They are designed to be sustainable and enjoyable for food lovers. The key is to make small, manageable changes to your eating habits and incorporating physical activity into your daily routine.

3. Will I have to give up my favorite foods to lose weight?

No, you do not have to give up your favorite foods to lose weight. The book teaches you how to make healthier choices and how to incorporate your favorite foods in moderation. It's all about balance and portion control.

4. Is this book suitable for vegetarians or people with dietary restrictions?

Yes, this book is suitable for vegetarians and people with dietary restrictions. It offers a variety of diet options and provides tips on how to modify them to fit your specific dietary needs.

5. Will this book provide me with a quick fix for weight loss?

No, this book does not promote quick fixes for weight loss. It focuses on creating long-term healthy habits and lifestyle changes. Results may vary for each individual, but the key is to be consistent and patient.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• sixtexascooks
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
SilverCeladon
Replies
Views
1upland
Back