• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Pork a Red Meat? - Exploring the Debate

In summary, Pork is not considered red meat by many people because it has problems associated with it, such as cholesterol and blood pressure. However, people do eat pork, and it can be healthy if eaten in moderation.
pjpamchef
Silver Member
Dumb question. Everyone keeps saying we need to cut back on the amount of red meat we eat. So is Pork red meat?

I have always hard it is the "other white meat".

And consider this, one side says eat less of one thing, anoter group says it is healthy. I say, eat what you like but in moderation and with balance (ie...eat your veggies too).

:D

Yes and no. It's not as fatty as red meat but definitely not as lean as "white" meat.

Everything in moderation. You only live once. Don't eat anything you don't like. :D

And I recently red an article that said (and I'm sorry, I can't find it now and don't know where exactly it was from but it was a medical related author) that people who eat less red meat, or no red meat, are losing an essential fat and are more likely to have age related mental issues such as ahlzheimers and age related dementia. I personally like my red meat and as long as my cholesterol and blood pressure aren't high I must not be eating too much of it. Pork is supposedly a white meat but has enough other problems that come along with it to make many people avoid it entirely. It happens to be my five year olds favorite meat right now, so we eat quite a bit of that too.

I didn't evolve to the top of the food chain to eat weeds and trees.

LOL!! I would like to stay at the top of the food chain as well! But, both my grandfather's dropped dead of heart attacks at age 52 and 70. My Dad had a major heart attack at age 56 and had 5 by-passes, my Mother had by-pass surgery that was complicated by diabetes and passed away at age 68, and last fall my brother who is only 16 months older had a heart attack and 3 by-passes at age 55. I have high cholesterol and blood pressure. Gene pool isn't looking too good, and believe me when I say growing up in the rural mid-west we are meat eaters. Not eliminating, just cutting back. After doing research, "the other white meat" was just a marketing slogan.

You can't blame meat alone for the cholesterol numbers - everything in our society is bad for us. If you eat the stuff we eat, you're gonna die. If you don't eat the stuff we eat, you're gonna die sooner. In fact, no matter what you eat, you're gonna die anyway, so you might as well enjoy it all while you've got it!

YEAH PIZZA WITH SAUSAGE AND PEPPERONI!! Both pork by the way!

1. Is pork considered a red meat?

Yes, pork is classified as a red meat along with beef, lamb, and veal. This is because it contains a high amount of myoglobin, a protein found in muscle tissues that gives red meat its color.

2. What is the debate surrounding pork being a red meat?

The debate surrounding pork being a red meat centers around its nutritional content and health effects. Some argue that pork is a lean protein source and can be part of a healthy diet, while others believe it is high in saturated fat and should be avoided.

3. Can pork be considered a white meat?

Technically, no. White meat is typically defined as poultry and fish, which have lower levels of myoglobin and are lighter in color. However, some people use the term "white meat" to refer to leaner meats, in which case pork could be considered a white meat.

4. Does the type of pork affect its classification as red meat?

No, the type of pork does not affect its classification as red meat. This includes both domesticated and wild pigs, as well as different cuts of pork such as bacon or pork chops.

5. How should pork be cooked to be considered safe to eat?

Pork should be cooked to an internal temperature of at least 145°F (63°C) to ensure that harmful bacteria are killed. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature, and be sure to let the pork rest for 3 minutes before serving to allow the temperature to even out.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
mrssyvo
  • abrahamlaur
  • General Chat
Replies