• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying to Prevent Boil Over in the RCB Cookbook

In summary, the Pasta Primavera from the DCB cookbook boiled over in the microwave. Halving the recipe and cooking it in the RCB reduced the chance of boil over.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
I've heard a couple people talk about this already but tonight I tried Pasta Primavera from the DCB cookbook. I halved it and put it in the RCB. Started out good but within a few minutes it started to boil over in the microwave. When I put it back in, I put it in at 80% power and tried again for a few minutes. It still boiled over but not at as. For the final few minutes I did it at 70% power. It didn't boil over that time but I'm assuming most of the liquid had either boiled over or absorbed.

I'm trying to find a side dish to make in it with the Chicken Your Way but I can't have this happen at a host's house. Has anyone found anything that works to prevent the boil over? Or even a recipe that works in it for a side dish?

I tried mashed potatoes, but it was my own made up recipe and it boiled over as well. But I also think I had too much milk with putting 1 cup of milk in there. I did make the recipe that came in it, only used chicken instead of the tuna fish and used cream of chicken soup. I don't know if this helps, but thought Id share. :D I might try making the wonderful bread recipe for the deep covered baker and do a small loaf in the rcb.... how about a small batch of mac and cheese or a lava cake in the rcb.

My recruiter and I were just talking about this the other day. She halved the Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco and it boiled over for her too.

I havent tried a DCB recipe in it yet, but maybe instead of halving it, trying just 1/3rd? The RCB doesnt seem deep enough to me for many of the DCB recipes.Dont we have a handy kitchen tool for reducing measurements? ;). It doesnt reduce by thirds, but it might be handy sometimes.

Maybe we need to e-mail the test kitchens. Perhaps there's a better guideline they have for us. They told us at launch that we could 1/2 the recipes for the DCB and it would work. So...did they test that theory or not? Maybe our questions will prompt them to try some things out better.

esavvymom said:
I havent tried a DCB recipe in it yet, but maybe instead of halving it, trying just 1/3rd? The RCB doesnt seem deep enough to me for many of the DCB recipes.

Dont we have a handy kitchen tool for reducing measurements? ;). It doesnt reduce by thirds, but it might be handy sometimes.

I believe she tried reducing further and it still boiled over. Maybe she will see this post and respond. :)

maldvs said:
I believe she tried reducing further and it still boiled over. Maybe she will see this post and respond. :)

I only reduced it by half, what I reduced was the power of the microwave. I think I will email the test kitchen.

ritabenson said:
I tried mashed potatoes, but it was my own made up recipe and it boiled over as well. But I also think I had too much milk with putting 1 cup of milk in there. I did make the recipe that came in it, only used chicken instead of the tuna fish and used cream of chicken soup. I don't know if this helps, but thought Id share. :D I might try making the wonderful bread recipe for the deep covered baker and do a small loaf in the rcb.... how about a small batch of mac and cheese or a lava cake in the rcb.

I made mashed potatoes in mine and it worked just fine. I used 1/4 cup of milk. After they were cooked and mashed, I added more milk and butter.

I havent tried any dcb recipes though. Now, I'm afraid to after reading all of the posts here! lol

wadesgirl said:
I only reduced it by half, what I reduced was the power of the microwave. I think I will email the test kitchen.

Sorry, I was referring to my recruiter who had this issue.

I finally got an answer today - they said that we will have to stir more often to avoid boil overs. They tried to blame it on the wattage and stuff with the microwave but I think it has to do with the depth of the baker more than anything else.

because of the typo in the catalog 11" instead of 9" makes me wonder if there will be an 11" introduced and it holds 1/2 the amount.

Someone posted a question on the the PC's FB page about this during the ask the expert chat time, but now I can't find it. Did they get rid of all the questions/answers?!! I'm messaging the person who asked it and will let you know when I hear back.

Okay, nevermind...I just had to scroll down more."Was wondering if we could use the recipes for the Deep CoveredBaker in the New Round Baker, just cut in half the recipe?"Yes, that is right. Follow these additional tips: For microwave recipes, use half the ingredients and half the time suggested. Start with halving the shortest time range recommended to prevent overcooking. For oven recipes, use half the ingredients but follow recommended cook times or visual indicators in the recipe. Check foods at the shorter end of the recommended cook time.And here's another question:"I made the tuna casserole from the Use & Care instr. for RCB, boiled over and made a mess of my microwave...what to do to prevent??"Depending on the wattage of the microwave, when you're cooking pasta because of the starch content, it can boil over if your microwave is too strong. We recommend lowering the power level and checking the dish often. When you take the lid off to check, it will reduce the heat and make it less likely to boil over.

Here's another Q&A:"Anyone tried the Rocky Road Brownie in the small round baker?"I did! This is a recipe that could easily overcook if you do not monitor closely, so make sure to check it at shortest timing when baking. and then she repeated the same mantra as I posted above.

Recommendation to ones self: NEVER, EVER make a half DCB recipe for a party at a hosts home. Because these recipe revamps may not work in theirs even if it works in yours. Personally, I do not want to have to explain why there is a major mess in their microwave and turn off people from buying one as it may always appear to small.

I have tried multiple times to cook pasta in RCB with no luck. I have found that fajitas turn out great though so I did that at a small wedding shower show with two chicken breasts. It will be my go to party for small microwaves.

I did the mac N cheese in the RCB the first time I tried it, and it boiled over too. I'm staying away from recipes with liquid and using this for stuffing, chicken breasts, bread, and the like.

I sold one the other night just for the simple fact that she can cook leftovers in the microwave without the items becoming rubbery or dried out. She was thrilled with that idea. Heck, so am I. I used to put my leftovers (when we went out to eat) in the oval baker and then put that in the dcb (only so I didn't have to clean the dcb) and microwave my chicken francaise or the like. Comes out like the night before.

The only thing I bring the RCB to parties for is doing a quick 4 minute cake after another main recipe.
I always bring the DCB and say if you have a smaller microwave or it's just you and your spouse, the RCB might be for you - show the big fish first! The only other reason I'd bring the RCB would be if the host didn't have a big enough microwave, but I'd probably just switch recipes instead.

Rosechef said:
I sold one the other night just for the simple fact that she can cook leftovers in the microwave without the items becoming rubbery or dried out. She was thrilled with that idea. Heck, so am I. I used to put my leftovers (when we went out to eat) in the oval baker and then put that in the dcb (only so I didn't have to clean the dcb) and microwave my chicken francaise or the like. Comes out like the night before.

Why did you put a stone inside another stone vs just using the smaller stone? For the cover I'm guessing. Just to avoid cleaning the DCB? But you still had a stone to clean... :confused:

I personally wouldn't chance that in fear one or both stones might crack.

I took the RCB to my last show to show it but we used the host's DCB for the recipe. Sold 2 DCBs at full price but no RCBs - well, the host did but one for her camper.My next show I'll be featuring it since the host has a small microwave.

1. How can I prevent boil over while cooking pasta?

To prevent boil over while cooking pasta, use a larger pot than you think you need and fill it only about half full with water. Adding a few drops of oil to the water can also help prevent boil over. You can also stir the pasta frequently and reduce the heat to a simmer once the water reaches a rolling boil.

2. What can I do to prevent boil over when cooking rice?

To prevent boil over when cooking rice, be sure to use the correct ratio of water to rice and use a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Once the water reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let the rice simmer until all the water is absorbed. Avoid stirring the rice while it is cooking, as this can cause it to stick to the bottom of the pot and potentially boil over.

3. How can I prevent boil over when making soup or chili?

To prevent boil over when making soup or chili, use a larger pot than you think you need and leave at least 2-3 inches of space at the top. You can also add a small amount of oil or butter to the soup or chili to help prevent foam from forming and causing a boil over. Stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as needed can also help prevent boil over.

4. What are some general tips for preventing boil over in the kitchen?

Some general tips for preventing boil over in the kitchen include using a larger pot than you think you need, reducing the heat once the liquid reaches a boil, and using a pot with a tight-fitting lid. You can also place a wooden spoon or chopstick across the top of the pot to help break up bubbles and prevent boil over. Additionally, be sure to keep an eye on the pot while cooking and adjust the heat as needed.

5. Are there any specific products or tools that can help prevent boil over?

Yes, there are some products and tools that can help prevent boil over in the kitchen. Silicone boil over guards can be placed on top of pots to help contain and break up bubbles. There are also specialized pots with built-in boil over preventers, such as a raised rim or a vented lid. Using a splatter screen can also help prevent boil over while still allowing steam to escape. However, these tools are not necessary and following basic tips and techniques can also effectively prevent boil over.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• peichef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
peichef
  • maldvs
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
kam
  • andiphant