• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Egg Nog Safe During Pregnancy? Raw Eggs in Store-Bought Options Revealed

I was so stressed out about it that I couldn't focus on anything else. Just glad it's over and I can move on.Janet went to the grocery store and found that all the eggnog brands say "eggs" on the label, but does that mean they are raw? Technically, commercially prepared eggnog is made with pasteurized eggs, so it is safe for pregnant women. However, homemade eggnog would be questionable, as raw eggs can be dangerous. BabyCenter does not recommend drinking eggnog, as it has been linked with salmonella infections. Joy mentioned that she was seven and a half months pregnant at Christmas and that she drank sparkling cider or grape juice. Janet said that she
LibrarianChef
Silver Member
I see that the egg nog options at my grocery store all say eggs, but does that mean they're raw? Technically this is my 4th pregnancy and yet somehow I've never been pregnant over Christmas holidays so I never had to worry over whether egg nog was safe for me to drink. I've avoided it this holiday just incase a certain brand DID contain raw eggs, but with New Year's Eve being tomorrow I figured it was worth checking. I'll also do a quicky search online to see what I can find out and, if all else fails, I can call my OB on Monday. :D Thanks, y'all!

Commercially prepared eggnog is made from pasteurized eggs, therefore it should be safe for pregnant women.

Homemade eggnog would be questionable.

Thanks, Janet. I basically found the same thing. I was surprised, though, that babycenter still doesn't suggest drinking it. I had horrible pre-term labor with my daughter--was hospitalized at 31 weeks, lost my plug at that time, etc. etc. And I've been having what looks to be the beginning of that again with this pregnancy, so I'm trying to be extra cautious. My son just had abdominal surgery last week and they started testing him for leukemia two weeks ago then there was family visiting from across the country and the local college asked me to teach four classes this coming semester--it's been a lot of stress which can definitely affect pre-term labor. I've gotta just relax and take care of me the next few weeks now that the holidays are over.

I need to carry this baby another 9.5 weeks, at least. So I'm avoiding whatever I can (salt and extra stressors, especially) to be that much closer to a healthy full-term delivery. I can't imagine being put back on strict bedrest while chasing my other little ones around. AIAIAI! I'm just $50 short of making the $1500 bonus this month and even THAT was stressing me out. It's ridiculous when compared to a human life so I just need to let it go, as sad as that makes me. :(

Anyway, thanks again! If anyone else is in the same boat, just wanted you to know I found the same thing as Janet. The only opposition was similar to the following statement from BabyCenter. I LOVE :love: egg nog (usually in small portions):

"Commercially manufactured eggnog is made with pasteurized eggs and has not been linked with salmonella infections, says the CDC. Still, it pays to play it safe: Stay away from anything containing raw eggs (that includes refraining from dipping your fingers into the holiday cookie batter!)."

((HUGS))

Let the stress go. Your baby is so much more important!! And learn the word no...perhaps it might be time to use it - with the college perhaps? Doesn't sound like the best time for you.

How is your son? What are the tests saying? When will you know a definitive answer? You and your family will be in my prayers and positive thoughts - how scary for you!

I went into "preterm" labor at 35 weeks. They put me on bedrest at home until 37 weeks, and then cleared me to go back to work. How crazy was that? Really threw about everyone for a loop! The superintendent even came in to check on me and see what I should/should not be doing. My doctor's theory? After 37 weeks, let her come! :D

I would avoid the eggnog...better safe than sorry, know what I mean? As yummy as it is, a full term pregnancy (or even a week or two longer) would be so much more delicious! I recommend sparkling cider or sprakling grape juice. That's what I drank during the holiday season! I was 7 1/2 months pregnant at Christmas - I drank that at all the festivities where everyone was toasting or drinking. I had such fun being the DD! :D

As for the $1500 - is there anything you need to purchase? Maybe for birthday or late Christmas gifts?? $50 is soo close that I might be tempted to buy something to put myself over!

Good luck and let us know if there is anything you need!! :)

Yes, when I was pregnant, I ALWAYS erred on the side of caution. Found out I was just pregnant with #2 a week before a trip to the Florida Keys - doctors couldn't tell me if diving even a few feet would be safe or not so no diving for me. I saw plenty snorkeling...

No changing the cat litter...no cookie dough batter...no heavy lifting...

I still did plenty but you know your limits when you are pregnant...baby comes first!

As for the bonus, yeah what Joy said. On a $50 order for a friend or relative, your getting some of it back in commission, you're getting products to use for your business and you're getting the bonus on your sales. Something to consider. Call your family and friends and see if anyone needs any after-Christmas items.

ChefJoyJ said:
How is your son? What are the tests saying? When will you know a definitive answer? You and your family will be in my prayers and positive thoughts - how scary for you!
Thank you SO much for your prayers. It's a long story, but I'll try to lay out the details here. He's two years old and he's been anemic (7.2 hemoglobin) for a long time--at least over a year and we don't know beyond that. But his iron levels are fine and so are his folic acid levels, so there's no logical explanation. Even though his iron levels were perfect, they put him on iron pills in hopes of boosting his hemoglobin levels for a short enough time to have his surgery (they wouldn't operate, otherwise). They tested him for a couple inherited things that cause low hemoglobin (because I've also struggled with anemia), but nothing turned up. Then after more talking with the doctors, they discovered that several other symptoms could also be indicative of leukemia. They only ran the first leukemia test (a sed rate test) and the levels came back acceptable, but at the same time his anemia disappeared overnight so that he could have his surgery (for a hydrocele). SO...first things first...get that surgery taken care of. So we did that and he has his follow-up visit today at the hospital. They said to take him off iron immediately (boys aren't supposed to take multivitamins with iron because there's a strong correlation between boys/men who take iron to prostate cancer--GOOD TO KNOW!) and we'll start testing again for anemia causes once the extra iron clears out of his system.

When we first heard of the possibility of leukemia we were petrified. I was in tears and couldn't think about much else. Then we knew we had to pull it together and be strong and prayerful. We knew that if he had cancer, we'd need to be strong and positive for him through all of those painful treatments. We're not sure if leukemia is still a concern after that first test, but we do know that the sed rate test was a good sign. He's been transferred to a new pediatrician that we will see this Friday. It's a couple hours drive from here, but apparently worth the trouble because she comes HIGHLY recommended by more than one person.

ChefJoyJ said:
I went into "preterm" labor at 35 weeks. They put me on bedrest at home until 37 weeks, and then cleared me to go back to work. How crazy was that? Really threw about everyone for a loop! The superintendent even came in to check on me and see what I should/should not be doing. My doctor's theory? After 37 weeks, let her come! :D
We have very similar stories, then. :D My labor started at 31 weeks and I was on bedrest forever (with only bathroom priviledges) and taking the brethine every 4 hours. When my doctor heard from my husband that I would go to the kitchen to fix a sandwich, he threatened to hospitalize me for the remainder of my pregnancy. :grumpy: I guess I wasn't taking it serious enough. :blushing: If I missed a brethine/trebutiline pill, labor immediately started back up. They let me stop at I guess 37-38 weeks for the same reason as you--it would be safe to deliver at that point. Once I went off the pills MY WATER BROKE! It was such an exhilerating experience, actually.

ChefJoyJ said:
As for the $1500 - is there anything you need to purchase? Maybe for birthday or late Christmas gifts?? $50 is soo close that I might be tempted to buy something to put myself over!
I can't believe it, but an old friend called me on the evening of the 30th and ordered $80 in stuff. Whew! She had just broken her deep dish baker and her mom wanted a few other items. We couldn't spring for even an additional $50 right now. Well, I guess we could if we had put it on a CC, but we didn't want to do that with the whole FPU/DaveRamsey thing. ;) I might have caved at the last minute, so it's good that she called. God must have really been looking out for my families' finances. I'm so excited to have an extra $75+ in PC freebies this month. We bought PC for all of our family this Christmas and they were jumping for joy. We just did the batter bowl gift mixes and then a few extra items that I got on discount. :chef:

janetupnorth said:
Yes, when I was pregnant, I ALWAYS erred on the side of caution. Found out I was just pregnant with #2 a week before a trip to the Florida Keys - doctors couldn't tell me if diving even a few feet would be safe or not so no diving for me. I saw plenty snorkeling...

That must have been so hard to miss out on a big part of your vacation. But you're right, baby comes first.

I have a very active one on the way, let me just say. I've never had such a busy pregnant tummy before ALL DAY LONG--I only *thought* I had active babies before. :eek: But I'm so excited--can't wait to hold this new wee one in my arms. :love: I love that sweet, sweet smell that only comes directly from Heaven. What a blessing! :love:

There's actually eggs in egg nog?

Who'da thunk it.

I have some guacamole dip here that I grabbed without reading the label and I just checked - less than 2% avacado !

As DuPont used to say, "Better living through chemistry."

http://helpfindthemissing.org/forum/images/smilies/puke.gif

1. Can I use raw eggs in my homemade egg nog?

Yes, raw eggs are traditionally used in egg nog recipes. However, it is important to use fresh, pasteurized eggs to reduce the risk of foodborne illness.

2. Can I make egg nog without using raw eggs?

Yes, there are many recipes available that use alternative ingredients such as cooked eggs or egg substitute to make egg nog without using raw eggs.

3. How do I know if the eggs I'm using are pasteurized?

Eggs that have been pasteurized will have a "P" stamped on the shell. You can also check the label on the carton to see if it specifies that the eggs are pasteurized.

4. Is it safe to consume raw egg nog?

It is generally safe to consume raw egg nog made with fresh, pasteurized eggs. However, pregnant women, young children, and individuals with compromised immune systems should avoid consuming raw eggs due to the risk of salmonella.

5. Can I store leftover egg nog made with raw eggs in the fridge?

No, it is not recommended to store homemade egg nog made with raw eggs in the fridge. It is best to consume it immediately after making it.

Back