• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Urgent Raspberry Mousse Cookie Napoleons

Allow the cookies to cool completely on the sheets. (I like to put them in clear plastic bags to help them stay crisp.)Store the chocolate wafers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one month.makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookiesMy mom used to make this cookie when I was a kid. It's super soft and yummy. My mom would make it every year for my family's Christmas party.
Stampaholic1961
Gold Member
My hubby is at the store right now & can't find the chocolate wafer cookies for this recipe. Does anyone know where we might find them? Are they somewhere other than the cookie aisle?

Check with the ice cream toppings.

i just found them by the ice cream toppings. yellow box, famous nabisco choc wafers! $4.39 at safeway, local large grocer. specialty places didn't carry them. good luck!

i posted in the shout box

The choc "vanilla wafers" aren't what HO shows in the picture I've been unable to find those real thin ones

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately he couldn't find them at 2 different stores. Hopefully I will feel enough better to go to another store tomorrow. Hopefully they will have them!! Thanks again!!

I am in NE Pa and never did find them I ended up making a trifle using brownie instead, very yummy, but annoying that us hicks up here don't have wafer cookies............

They have to be the thin ones to work, NOT IN COOKIE AISLE! Near ice cream cones, ice cream toppings. Come in a long rectangular box....

I wonder if we can make something like this??!! Any bakers that know.... where is stephanie peterson.... she'd know!
Anyone else.... know if this would be easy to make?!

I cannot find them in my area! Someone posted you can find them on Amazon but it's 12 boxes!

MissChef said:
I wonder if we can make something like this??!! Any bakers that know.... where is stephanie peterson.... she'd know!
Anyone else.... know if this would be easy to make?!

I think the only way to get something this thin and crunchy w/o breaking would be to used some special baking ingredients - like bakers ammonia...but the only way I know to get that is through mail order.

Taken from elsewhere:CHOCOLATE WAFERSWonderful thin, crisp, plain cookies, the dough is rolled out and cut with a cookie cutter. The recipe can easily be doubled if you wish.2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 ounces (1/2 stick) sweet butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons light cream or milk
1 egg (graded large)Place the chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over hot water on moderate heat. Cover until partially melted, then uncover and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.In the large bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat to mix well. Add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated. Then add the light cream or milk and the egg and beat to mix well. On low spead add the sifted dry ingredients, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only until incorporated.Place the dough on a piece of wax paper, fold the sides of the paper over the dough and press down on the paper to flatten the dough to a scant 1-inch thickness, wrap in the paper and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes --no longer or the dough will crack when you roll it out. (However, if you do refrigerate it for longer -- even overnight -- let it stand at room temperature for about an hour before rolling it out.)Adjust two racks to divide oven into thirds and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil.Flour a pastry cloth and place the dough on it. (If you have doubled the recipe, roll only half of the dough at a time.) With a floured rolling pin -- which should be refloured frequently to avoid sticking -- roll the dough out until it is only 1/8-inch thick (thin).I use a round cookie cutter that is 2 3/4 inches in diameter -- use any size you like, and cut the cookies as close to each other as possible.Place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on the aluminum foil. (It might be necessary to transfer the cookies from the pastry cloth to the foil with a wide metal spatula -- handle them carefully in order to keep them perfectly round and flat.)Leftover pieces of the dough should be pressed together and rerolled.Bake two sheets at a time for 7 to 8 minutes, reversing the sheets top to bottom and front to back once to insure even taking. Bake until the cookies feel almost firm to the touch. These are supposed to be crisp (they will become more crisp as they cool) and they should not be underbaked, but watch them carefully to be sure they do not burn. (If you bake one sheet at a time, bake it on the upper rack.)With a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks to cool. Store airtight. Makes 36 2 3/4 inch cookies.Enjoy!
Marg

I'm waiting to hear back from my host to see if she has been able to find them. If not, I guess I will have to try the recipe that Janet posted! I'm not looking forward to that at all! I've been sick ever since Thanksgiving & it sounds like too much work for my current energy level. I appreciate all the help from everyone!!

Every super market in NYC has them in the cookie section....HTH

do uthink this recipe would work with ginger snaps??

I doubt it, they would be too tart!

Ginger428 said:
Every super market in NYC has them in the cookie section....HTH

I wonder if my hubby would go there & get some?! Probably not since we are in Indiana! :D

My grocery store also has them near the graham cracker crusts in the baking aisle.

AnnieBee said:
My grocery store also has them near the graham cracker crusts in the baking aisle.

Ooh! Good idea!

found them tonight at walmart next to the bag of pretzels I was picking up
i asked the employee where they were normally located and she said the cookie aisle she scanned them & that was the last box and they weren't any in transitthey were $3.24

Hubby looked at a couple more places today & didn't find any. He came home with Oreo Thin Crisps. They are in 100 calorie packs. They are so tiny that only one raspberry will fit on top. Both my hubby & daughter thought they were great! I didn't try them because I don't like raspberries!! They look really cute though!!

Stampaholic1961 said:
I wonder if my hubby would go there & get some?! Probably not since we are in Indiana! :D

You're making me feel SO guilty, I have a box in mu cupboard, was thinking about trying that recipe....

Ginger428 said:
You're making me feel SO guilty, I have a box in mu cupboard, was thinking about trying that recipe....
You don't need to feel guilty on my behalf! Hubby finally found a substitute that works. I think it's the easiest recipe I have ever made! Very cute looking!

Oh Kewl!! What did he get? ;)

Oreo Thin Krisps. They are super tiny...only one raspberry will fit on it....not the 3 that the picture shows. I actually think the tiny ones would be easier to eat than the big ones! But since I don't eat raspberries I can't say for sure!!

Stampaholic1961 said:
Oreo Thin Krisps. They are super tiny...only one raspberry will fit on it....not the 3 that the picture shows. I actually think the tiny ones would be easier to eat than the big ones! But since I don't eat raspberries I can't say for sure!!

I'm not a big Raspberry fan myself (unless they are seedless) :)

I just got home from my show. The host couldn't find the cookies either so she bought 4 or 5 different kinds of cookies to see if any of them would work. She also bought "light" Cool Whip" which made the mixture very thin. So we completely improvised! I laid out a variety of cookies & put the Cool Whip mixture on top. They added raspberries if they wanted them. The mixture was too thin to add a second layer. They all absolutely loved them & the fact that I could take the recipe & improvise to suit the ingredients we had! So, they didn't look anything like the original recipe but everyone loved them anyway!!!

Stampaholic1961 said:
I just got home from my show. The host couldn't find the cookies either so she bought 4 or 5 different kinds of cookies to see if any of them would work. She also bought "light" Cool Whip" which made the mixture very thin. So we completely improvised! I laid out a variety of cookies & put the Cool Whip mixture on top. They added raspberries if they wanted them. The mixture was too thin to add a second layer. They all absolutely loved them & the fact that I could take the recipe & improvise to suit the ingredients we had! So, they didn't look anything like the original recipe but everyone loved them anyway!!!

That's great Bev! Great job turning it into something good!

janetupnorth said:
Taken from elsewhere:

CHOCOLATE WAFERS

Wonderful thin, crisp, plain cookies, the dough is rolled out and cut with a cookie cutter. The recipe can easily be doubled if you wish.

2 ounces (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 ounces (1/2 stick) sweet butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons light cream or milk
1 egg (graded large)

Place the chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over hot water on moderate heat. Cover until partially melted, then uncover and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat to mix well. Add the melted chocolate and beat until incorporated. Then add the light cream or milk and the egg and beat to mix well. On low spead add the sifted dry ingredients, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only until incorporated.

Place the dough on a piece of wax paper, fold the sides of the paper over the dough and press down on the paper to flatten the dough to a scant 1-inch thickness, wrap in the paper and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes --no longer or the dough will crack when you roll it out. (However, if you do refrigerate it for longer -- even overnight -- let it stand at room temperature for about an hour before rolling it out.)

Adjust two racks to divide oven into thirds and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil.

Flour a pastry cloth and place the dough on it. (If you have doubled the recipe, roll only half of the dough at a time.) With a floured rolling pin -- which should be refloured frequently to avoid sticking -- roll the dough out until it is only 1/8-inch thick (thin).

I use a round cookie cutter that is 2 3/4 inches in diameter -- use any size you like, and cut the cookies as close to each other as possible.

Place the cookies 1/2 inch apart on the aluminum foil. (It might be necessary to transfer the cookies from the pastry cloth to the foil with a wide metal spatula -- handle them carefully in order to keep them perfectly round and flat.)

Leftover pieces of the dough should be pressed together and rerolled.

Bake two sheets at a time for 7 to 8 minutes, reversing the sheets top to bottom and front to back once to insure even taking. Bake until the cookies feel almost firm to the touch. These are supposed to be crisp (they will become more crisp as they cool) and they should not be underbaked, but watch them carefully to be sure they do not burn. (If you bake one sheet at a time, bake it on the upper rack.)

With a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks to cool. Store airtight. Makes 36 2 3/4 inch cookies.

Enjoy!
Marg

Thanks Janet! This is the first time I've checked in this thread in a few days! Thanks for posting this!

ChefBeckyD said:
I think the only way to get something this thin and crunchy w/o breaking would be to used some special baking ingredients - like bakers ammonia...but the only way I know to get that is through mail order.

I consider myself a pretty good cook and baker, but I've never even heard of this stuff! Thanks Becky for teaching me something new! I will have to google this and read up on it!

MissChef said:
I consider myself a pretty good cook and baker, but I've never even heard of this stuff! Thanks Becky for teaching me something new! I will have to google this and read up on it!

It's a very old leavening agent - predates baking powder, or baking soda. It makes your cookies very crunchy and crisp.

ChefBeckyD said:
It's a very old leavening agent - predates baking powder, or baking soda. It makes your cookies very crunchy and crisp.

Thanks for the knowledge!!! ;) Knowledge is power! That's one of my favorite sayings!!!:D

Stampaholic1961 said:

I think this is a great alternative, because in the winter raspberries can be awfully expensive for a little container, like $5 or $6 for a small package.

I would highly suggest you email HO about your findings! I am sure they would love to hear about it!

MissChef said:
Thanks for the knowledge!!! ;) Knowledge is power! That's one of my favorite sayings!!!:D

I only know this because I read cookbooks like some people read novels. :D

One of my favorite series is the King Arthur Companion series. These are the BEST cookbooks for bakers - not only are the recipes top-notch, but they have all kinds of useful and interesting baking information. If you love to bake, you should check into these.

I have the Baking Companion, Cookie Companion, and the Cooking w/ Whole Grains Companion. LOVE THEM!:love::love::love:

ChefBeckyD said:
I only know this because I read cookbooks like some people read novels. :D

One of my favorite series is the King Arthur Companion series. These are the BEST cookbooks for bakers - not only are the recipes top-notch, but they have all kinds of useful and interesting baking information. If you love to bake, you should check into these.

I have the Baking Companion, Cookie Companion, and the Cooking w/ Whole Grains Companion. LOVE THEM!:love::love::love:

OMG! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this info!! I am a HUGE reader! I love to read and I LOVE to read about cooking and baking!!! I want to go to cullinary school when my kids get older....
I will definetely look into this.... do you think that I could find these books in the library? If not then I'll google them and then add them to my Christmas list!;)
Thanks Becky! You are just a huge benefit of being part of this board!! ;):D:love:

You are so funny! I'm glad you are excited about them. Check out the library, but once you see them, you'll probably want to own them....:D

They are pricier than some cookbooks, but they are HUGE - like 600-700 pages, and chock-full of great recipes, articles, and info! Worth every penny!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/list.jsp?pv=1228835571915&select=C256&byCategory=C306

My director made them with the 100 cal. oreo package and just modified them. Put the moose on top and then cut the raspberry in half and put on top. It worked well. I did them for a show this way - it was a hands out - quick and easy desserts - and everyone loved them.

ChefBeckyD said:
You are so funny! I'm glad you are excited about them. Check out the library, but once you see them, you'll probably want to own them....:D

They are pricier than some cookbooks, but they are HUGE - like 600-700 pages, and chock-full of great recipes, articles, and info! Worth every penny!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/list.jsp?pv=1228835571915&select=C256&byCategory=C306

so I checked my library on line and I could only find the Cookbook - King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion ... so I put a request in for it....
it's available in a library across town... so I'll just have it delivered to my branch and then pick it up when they notify me!
Again, thanks.... I will no doubt end up adding it to my list... I think I will check out e-bay and amazon to see what their prices are too...

:rolleyes:
MissChef said:
so I checked my library on line and I could only find the Cookbook - King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion ... so I put a request in for it....
it's available in a library across town... so I'll just have it delivered to my branch and then pick it up when they notify me!
Again, thanks.... I will no doubt end up adding it to my list... I thought I'd check out e-bay and amazon to see what their prices were too...

I actually got all of mine from the Cookbook Club - a mailorder book club. Whenever they would offer a 50% off sale, or an "All books just $9.99" sale, I would get one - but that wouldn't help you as a Christmas gift. I don't belong anymore either, because I got tired of dealing with the hassle of letting them know I wasn't ordering every month.

Love King Arthur Flour.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
leftymac
Replies
Views
chefann
  • gailz2
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views