• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant: Microwave in My Kitchen..........

In summary, a 14 year old accidentally put foil in the microwave and ruined it, causing the family to have to replace the built-in microwave. They purchased a $100 countertop microwave from Walmart as a backup, which ended up being a great investment. The conversation then turns to a childhood memory of accidentally burning out an air conditioning unit and the possibility of reaching out to insurance for coverage. The conversation ends with the suggestion of using the oven or stovetop as an alternative to the backup microwave.
yankeeinontario
Silver Member
My 14 year old just put foil in the microwave and ruined it. It's a built in and will be expensive to replace. First world problem? Our back up microwave is too small for the deep covered baker! :mad:

When the microwave chip makers blew up my built in, we bought a countertop microwave at walmart for $100. Best investment I've made in a while, light weight enough to take to shows that don't have the right size m.w.! Something to consider.

I remember as a kid, coming home from school and it was one of those early spring days where it got really, really hot in the house and so I switched the thermostat to air conditioning and ran it. My parents worked full time, so they weren't there to tell me not to do that....and I ended up burning out the unit because little did I know there was a cover on it. I had no idea there was a cover on it or that there was something special to do the first time using it for the season. My mom was so forgiving, thankfully. I felt so bad and so stupid, though. She called the insurance company and they replaced it for free because it was an accident. Even thought it was turned on inappropriately, because a child did it w/o understanding and it was an accident, it was covered. So.....maybe you could call your insurance company and ask them?

Good idea on the insurance company. My husband was able to find a part to fix it. It's great to have an engineer in the family!

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Accidents happen, especially in the kitchen. I know it can be frustrating and expensive to replace a built-in microwave. Have you considered reaching out to your homeowners insurance to see if it's covered? As for the backup microwave, have you tried using the oven or stovetop for the deep covered baker? It's not ideal, but it could work in a pinch. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

1. What are the dangers of using a microwave in my kitchen?

Microwaves can pose a fire hazard if they are not maintained properly or used incorrectly. They can also emit harmful radiation if they are damaged or have a faulty seal. Additionally, microwaving certain types of materials, such as metal or plastic, can release toxic chemicals into your food.

2. Can I use any type of container in the microwave?

No, it is important to only use microwave-safe containers when using a microwave. These containers are specifically designed to withstand the high heat and potential steam and pressure that can occur during the microwaving process. Using the wrong type of container can lead to explosions or melting.

3. How can I minimize the risks of using a microwave in my kitchen?

Make sure to always follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific microwave. Regularly clean and inspect your microwave for any damage or wear. Use only microwave-safe containers and avoid microwaving certain types of foods, such as eggs or grapes, which have been known to cause explosions.

4. Is it safe to stand in front of a microwave while it's in use?

While some people believe that standing in front of a microwave while it's in use can cause harm, there is no evidence to support this claim. The FDA states that as long as your microwave is functioning properly, the levels of radiation are very low and not harmful to your health.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a microwave in my kitchen?

Yes, there are many alternatives to using a microwave. Some options include using a stovetop, oven, slow cooker, or toaster oven to heat up food. These methods may take longer, but they do not carry the same risks as using a microwave. You can also invest in a convection microwave, which combines the benefits of a microwave and traditional oven.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
  • Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • dexheimers
  • General Chat
Replies