• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Quinoa Recipes for a Healthy Meal | CS Friends Share Their Favorites

In summary, a family member bought quinoa but didn't know how to use it. I asked my CS friends for recipes and they provided various options, including using it as a substitute for rice or as a base for meals like jambalaya and tabbouleh. They also shared tips for preparing quinoa and a recipe for a quinoa salad with black beans and feta cheese. Overall, quinoa is a versatile and healthy ingredient that can be incorporated into many dishes.
raebates
Staff member
I was talking with a family member recently. She bought some quinoa because she'd heard it was healthy. Now she has no idea what to do with it. I told her I was sure my CS friends had mentioned using it.

So, CS friends, have any good recipes I can share with her?

TIA!

There are several threads that I have responded to with various recipes you should be able to locate.

Quinoa (keen-wa) has been around for MANY years, and it used to be only a staple for individuals with dietary needs such as gluten free. Such with any trend, it enters mainstream.

You can get extremely creative with quinoa, as it has no flavor of its own. The flavors in which you add to it are taken on by the grain. This always gives me a base of either lemon or lime juice and garlic (all fresh of course).

You can then follow the path of making quinoa a staple for a side dish or a main meal. Anything you can think of can be added to quinoa for a main dish - one of our household favorites is black beans and tomatoes.

You can always use quinoa as a substitute for any recipe that calls for rice.

Thanks, Ashley. I won't bore you with the long story of how I wound up offering to find recipes for her. I appreciate your help.

robochick84 said:
There are several threads that I have responded to with various recipes you should be able to locate.

Quinoa (keen-wa) has been around for MANY years, and it used to be only a staple for individuals with dietary needs such as gluten free. Such with any trend, it enters mainstream.

You can get extremely creative with quinoa, as it has no flavor of its own. The flavors in which you add to it are taken on by the grain. This always gives me a base of either lemon or lime juice and garlic (all fresh of course).

You can then follow the path of making quinoa a staple for a side dish or a main meal. Anything you can think of can be added to quinoa for a main dish - one of our household favorites is black beans and tomatoes.

You can always use quinoa as a substitute for any recipe that calls for rice.

This is what I was going to say. :)

It's really good as a base for Tabbouleh - I love that! It can also be added to burritos/tacos, soups, etc...

I usually boil it with butter and maybe a little salt. I then serve it with grilled chicken and veggies. It is a great alternative to rice and kind of similar to couscous. My mom introduced it to us a while ago, and we love it here.

I have a recipe that I make with quinoa all the time. Make sure she rinses it well--it has a slightly bitter taste to it--our large strainer worked well for me, lined with a paper towel. Boil it with equal parts water and quinoa for about 10-15 min--till all the water is absorbed. I chop up 1/2 red onion, 1 tomato, add a can of black beans and feta cheese (about 4 oz). The dressing is 2 T. lemon juice, 1/4 c. red wine vinegar, and 1/4 c. olive oil+ 1/2 tsp. garlic salt. I throw a little thyme in there too--maybe 1/2 tsp. and some oregano. Let the dressing absorbe into the quinoa for about 1/2 an hour. It's really good. Quinoa has a ton of protein + a lot of fiber too. It's yummy

Thanks, everyone. I've never tried quinoa. Now you've got me thinking I need to add it to my shopping list.

Judy, I added the recipes you linked to the information I'm sending her. I'm not sure which one(s) might appeal to their palates, but they sound good to me.

Nanisu said:
I have a recipe that I make with quinoa all the time. Make sure she rinses it well--it has a slightly bitter taste to it--our large strainer worked well for me, lined with a paper towel. Boil it with equal parts water and quinoa for about 10-15 min--till all the water is absorbed. I chop up 1/2 red onion, 1 tomato, add a can of black beans and feta cheese (about 4 oz). The dressing is 2 T. lemon juice, 1/4 c. red wine vinegar, and 1/4 c. olive oil+ 1/2 tsp. garlic salt. I throw a little thyme in there too--maybe 1/2 tsp. and some oregano. Let the dressing absorbe into the quinoa for about 1/2 an hour. It's really good. Quinoa has a ton of protein + a lot of fiber too. It's yummy

Oh yum this sounds soooo good!! Thanks...I wasn't even looking for a recipe!

Betsey sends her thanks. :)

I make stuffed peppers with it that are super yumm. Don't remember where I found the recipe, but here it is.

Attachments

• STUFFED PEPPERS.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 333
Years ago, I used Quinoa as a breakfast cereal. Used maple syrup to embellish it, as you
might do with oatmeal or other warm cereals. The Tabboulah recipe was also great, for
a luncheon item, and add shrimp or other protein.

1. What is quinoa and how do I cook it?

Quinoa is a nutrient-rich grain that is considered a superfood. To cook it, rinse 1 cup of quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, then add it to a pot with 2 cups of water or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

2. Can I use quinoa in place of rice in my favorite recipes?

Yes, quinoa can be used as a substitute for rice in many recipes. It has a similar texture and can be cooked in the same way. It also adds more protein and nutrients to your dishes.

3. Are there any gluten-free quinoa recipes?

Yes, quinoa is naturally gluten-free and can be used in a variety of dishes such as salads, casseroles, and stir-fries. Check out our website for specific gluten-free quinoa recipe ideas.

4. Can I meal prep with quinoa?

Absolutely! Quinoa is a great option for meal prepping as it can be cooked in large batches and stored in the fridge or freezer for future use. It can be added to salads, soups, or used as a side dish throughout the week.

5. What are some creative ways to use quinoa?

Besides using quinoa in place of rice, it can also be used in place of oats in breakfast recipes like overnight oats or quinoa porridge. It can also be ground into flour and used in baked goods or as a binder in veggie burgers. Have fun experimenting with different ways to use quinoa in your cooking!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Judybabe
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
Replies
Views
mspibb
  • Kimbproctor1
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies