• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!

In summary, this conversation was about a person looking for a list of quick tips for an upcoming event. The other person shared a list of various quick tips, such as using female peppers for recipes, different ways to cut onions to avoid tears, using kitchen tools for carving jack-o-lanterns, and tips for cooking and storing various fruits and vegetables. They also mentioned tips for baking, making salads, and sharpening knives.
pckelly
Was wondering if anyone had a whole list of different quick tips that I can have? Either on Word or a pdf file. I have a different kind of show next week for our local Mom to Mom group. (homeschoolers). It will show quick recipes and I will be giving lots of quick tips in the kitchen. If anyone has anything like that please let me know!!:D

I LOVE quick tips and fun facts... the wackier the better! Here is a HUGE list for you, and everyone to share. I am actually working on compling another list as well. Enjoy!

QUICK TIPS TO KNOW AND LOVE

Green peppers are either male or female! Male peppers have THREE sectioned bottoms and females have FOUR sections. When preparing a recipe that calls for whole peppers, use a girl pepper. They stand up better.... because naturally we know...females are more stable!

Red peppers are just ripened green peppers. They also contain twice the vitamin C as the green ones!

Green peppers are either the smartest vegetable, or the dumbest... I can’t decide!. A pepper won’t know it has been cut into if you cut from the bottom and leave the stem in tact. Hence, they keep longer that way.

If you cut an onion from the opposite end of the mustache (the hairy end) it will also keep longer in the fridge!

If you put your onion in the freezer for 15 minutes before cutting it, it won’t make you all teary eyed. Or, run it under very cold water while cutting for the same effect!

Use The Corer, normally for apples, to core the seeds out of your cucumbers. It’s the seeds that cause gas! Plus, if you then shove a fat carrot in that cuke hole, and slice, you will have an attractive vegetable combination!

You can use the V-shaped cutter, crinkle cutter, and The Corer for carving jack-o-lanterns! Plus, if you sprinkle cinnamon inside before lighting your candle, it will smell great too!

Use the Garlic press for Ginger root too! To get optimal flavor, first freeze your ginger root, then microwave for 15 seconds. Freeze it again, and microwave it again for another 15 seconds before pressing it.

When grating cheese ~ microwave it for 10-15 seconds first! The natural oils will come out and the cheese will easily fall from your cheese grater.

If you over salt a dish on the stove top while boiling.... drop a peeled potato in it. The potato will absorb all the salt for you!

If your potatoes grow arms and legs and party it up in the bag after you bring them home, try throwing an apple in the bag with them! Potatoes are real party animals when alone, but throw in a stranger, and they will keep to themselves! Guaranteed, your apple will go bad before your potatoes start to sprout!

A slice of apple in your cookie jar will keep your cookies soft as the minute you took them out of the oven!

When you saute’ onions and garlic, be sure to add the garlic at the very end. Saute less than a minutes if possible. Garlic cooked on the stove top longer than that will become bitter.

If you place your bananas in a ziploc baggy when you get them home from the grocery store, they will continue to ripen, but won’t turn black!

If you love bacon, but hate the splattered mess, try baking it on your bar pan! 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes will give you the best bacon you have ever tasted!

Room temperature lemons will yield more juice. Also, if you roll them on the counter or microwave them for 10 seconds, that will also get the juices flowing.

When sending your significant other to the grocery store for a lemon, make sure he picks out a good one! Ripe lemons will have a smooth surface, and the top “nub” will be elongated. The bigger the nub, the riper the lemon.... So when your man comes home with a big nub, everyone is happy!

Turn a carton of eggs sideways in the refrigerator the night before you make deviled eggs and the yolks will be in the middle!

When baking a chocolate cake, dust cake pan with cocoa powder instead of flour. It will cause the same non stick effect without the white residue.

Want a hint of garlic on your salad? Cut a clove in half and rub it on the rim of your salad bowl.

Kitchen knives should be sharpened after every 5 uses.

Peach skins come off smoothly when peeled with the Vegetable Peeler.

To easily peel a kiwi, cut it in half and then slide a spoon between the skin and fruit. Spoon around the entire fruit for a perfect kiwi!

Quickly cut a medium sized onion into wedges for a stir fry by using the apple wedger.

Steam your broccoli for one minute, then dip into cold water to keep a beautiful vibrant green color.

Use your kitchen sheers to cut biscuits into quarters for a quick garlic biscuit treat!

Use a hair dryer on your chocolate cake to give the frosting a silky, more "lustrous" appearance.
When making mashed potatoes, instead of cutting them into chunks, try slicing them when the Ultimate Slice and Grate. They will cook MUCH faster!
Try squeezing a bunch of lemons at one time. Put the juice in an ice cube tray and freeze for when you want to make a quick lemon aid or extra flavor for your tea.

Next time you need your brown sugar and find that it is hard as a rock, try putting it into the deluxe cheese grater and grate it! It will fall right into your measuring cup, and be easy to work with again!

If you place a piece of bread in your brown sugar bag, it will keep it from getting hard.

If your brown sugar is all ready hard, throw a bit of peeled apple in the bag, and it will soften right up!

The Skin from a garlic clove will slip right off if you place the clove in the microwave for 15 seconds first!

Place bay leaves in kitchen drawers and flour/sugar containers to keep crawling insects away!

Keep your Saran Wrap in the freezer. It is easier to unroll, doesn’t stick to itself until it warms up and it is easier to tear!

Don’t throw out that leftover wine. Freeze it into an ice cube try to use in casseroles or sauces at a later date.

To test whether an egg is still fresh, put them into a bowl of water. If it floats, throw it out.

To save time, add salt to the pasta water AFTER it comes to a boil. Salted water takes longer to boil than unsalted.

Storing tomatoes with the stem side pointed down will help the tomato stay fresher longer.

Add fluff to your mashed potatoes by adding a pinch of baking soda during mashing.

To keep peeled apples and bananas from turning brown, soak them in Sprite, 7-Up, lemon juice or pineapple juice!

To keep potatoes from browning, place then into a bowl with 4 cups of water and 4 Tbsp. Lemon juice.

Four Remedy’s to get rid of garlic breath!! Eat Fresh Parsley ~ Chew on a Coffee Bean ~ Eat a bowl of Lime Sherbert ~ or Eat some Strawberries!!

Wrap celery in aluminum foil ~ it will keep longer!

When boiling corn on the cob ~ add a teaspoon of sugar to help bring out the natural sweetness of the corn.

Rubbing a cut lime on your forehead will get rid of a headache!

Eating a cut garlic will get rid of a husband!! Hehehe.

Use the Pizza Cutter to quickly cut cooked spaghetti noodles! Much easier to cut, and perfect for bite sized kid pieces!

Crafters in a pinch? Try using our Pizza Cutters to cut fabric with ease!

Use our Easy Accent Decorator for more than just frostings! Fill your deviled eggs, manicotti shells or jelly doughnuts with ease!

Take your cheese from the plastic it came in and wrap it in aluminum foil, cheese cloth or parchment paper instead. It will take the shelf life in your refrigerator to 5 or 6 months or more!

Want a quick clean up tip? Try baking on Parchment paper instead of a bare pan. Makes clean up a breeze and doesn’t alter the cooking time or flavor!

When making soup, to absorb the grease that settles to the top, place a leaf of lettuce on top of the soup while cooking. Remove when it has done its job!

Sprinkle a little salt into your frying pan before cooking to keep the grease from splattering.

Butter the rim of a pan in which you cook rice or macaroni so it won’t boil over.

When making apple pies, sprinkle 1 Tbsp. Lemon gelatin over apples before you put the top crust on. It not only adds flavor, but also prevents spillovers!

Use the Cooks Corer to get those stray apple seeds from a wedged apple.

Try grating carrots with the Deluxe Cheese Grater. No slippery carrots to keep a hold of, and better yet, no grated knuckles!

A marshmallow stuffed into an ice cream cone will prevent dripping!

Instead of ditching the grease and fat from browned meats, use a slice of stale bread to soak it up while still in the pan. Let the bread dry a bit and then crumble it to feed to outdoor birds. A good way to safely rid yourself of grease and the birds will love you for it!

To keep salad greens and cut veggies fresh ~ put a paper towel with them in a plastic bag. It will absorb the moisture so your produce will last longer!

Did you know, garlic juice and its constituents can slow, or kill more than 60 different fungi and twenty type of bacteria? WOW!

One clove of garlic is 10 times stronger pushed through a press than a clove minced fine with a sharp knife.

Boil the remnants of your lime, lemon and oranges after juicing them. It will make your house smell wonderful!

Use your garlic press for bits of sugar cookie dough during the holidays. Makes wonderful angel hair and santa beards for cookies!

WoW!! I really like those. I just cut and paste all that into a word doc. I'll have to share that with my customers. I'm always being asked for tips on things. Thanks for posting that.

Oh...here is the word document that I paste everything in. :)

Attachments

• QUICK TIPS TO KNOW AND LOVE.doc
    32 KB · Views: 407
These are great! I put it into a Word document.

Attachments

• QUICK TIPS TO KNOW AND LOVE.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 507
kat29 said:
WoW!! I really like those. I just cut and paste all that into a word doc. I'll have to share that with my customers. I'm always being asked for tips on things. Thanks for posting that.

Oh...here is the word document that I paste everything in. :)
We must have done it at the same time-LOL!!

Great Minds think a like. LOL!!

Great, thanks everyone!! Exactly what I needed!!!!

tipshere's some more!!! Can't take credit for them all...I think names are on some..so thanks to those gals...
I just did a training session on quick tips at our regional we had!!!!! It was so much fun...my show (demo) pretty much is all quick tips...I do make a recipe but I incorporate the tips throughout the whole demo.
I put a blank sheet of paper (at the top is says "karlene's quick tip sheet") in every guest folder so they can jot down the tips I give.
I have a set of color coded index cards with tips on them (they are on a silver ring that can open up). I will usually use one color of tips per show. Then if I get bookings from that show, I make sure I don't use that same color of tips for those bookings!!!! I can add new cards to my set. You can also google quick tips, cooking tips, foo tips etc and find tons of info...be prepared you may have to be pulled from your computer...it can be addicting!!! ha ha

I found a book called "how to crack an egg" and it has over 1400 tips in it...really good book
Hope this all helps

I also included the word document that has over 60 recipes for the mini muff pan...love that pan and always sell some at each show just by saying if they purchase one I will email them this document.

Attachments

• TIPS.doc
    20.5 KB · Views: 456
  • quick tips 21 pages.doc
    73 KB · Views: 515
  • quick tips.doc
    62 KB · Views: 498
  • mini muffin recipes 60.doc
    73 KB · Views: 460
Here are some more...not sure if there are repeats or not!

Attachments

• KITCHEN TIPS.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 591
You guys are so cool!

Here's an idea!
pckelly said:
Was wondering if anyone had a whole list of different quick tips that I can have? Either on Word or a pdf file. I have a different kind of show next week for our local Mom to Mom group. (homeschoolers). It will show quick recipes and I will be giving lots of quick tips in the kitchen. If anyone has anything like that please let me know!!:D

I am a homeschooler myself and have actually done kid's cooking classes with the kids. If this is something you would be interested in you could charge them a fee for the class (this would include certain products like the Stencil set, decorator bottle set, and the creative cutters, and food for their projects) You could do recipes that would include these great kid friendly tools and they get to keep them since they paid for them and this could be like a kitchen show for you since you are doing a demo and they are coming over to someone's house, get a mom to volunteer her house.
That's like $32.50 per kid for these items, then charge them for food which you can buy in bulk so about $50 per kid should cover the 2-3 hour class. Just a thought. I belong to a homeschool group and it's about time I start up my kid's cooking class again. They are asking me to start it up again, and being 5 months pregnant I better hurry before I have this baby in July. I couldn't really do anything the first four months, I was so tired but now I have more energy.
The ones I did were for 10 classes and I charged for food and kid's products when they were available. I bought food in bulk and used recipes from the PC kid's cookbook. It was fun and I mainly did it for my kids so they could have their friends over to make yummy things in the kitchen.
I also had a few catty shows from it and a cooking show our first class. The sales weren't phenomenal but I know I have a good customer base with these moms whenever they need PC products. It was fun!
Sorry it was so long.
Debbie :D

Karlene -- could you share how you did the demo(recipe) and incoporated the quick tips. I'd love to see a show outline of that if you have it. TIA

Thanks everybody, SO may ideas!!! Be blessed!
Great idea, Debbie!! I will do that at some point, but this certain one I was talking about is just for the Moms, we get out away from the kids one night a month!! But I can give them ideas on what to do with their kids! Thanks!!

WOW! A plethora of tips. I'm in heaven. Time to study up and memorize a few to share :)

Also, thanks to Karlene for the mini muffin pan recipes. Am super glad it came in my kit though as I would never have purchased one and known how cool it really is.

can't believe it took me this long to check this out - thanks for all the info

What types of recipes are included in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!"?

The "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" includes a variety of quick and easy recipes for every meal and occasion. This includes appetizers, main dishes, desserts, and even drinks.

Are the recipes in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" beginner-friendly?

Yes, all of the recipes in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" are specifically designed to be easy for anyone to follow, regardless of their cooking experience. Each recipe includes step-by-step instructions and helpful tips to make cooking a breeze.

Do the recipes in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" require special equipment?

No, the recipes in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" are designed to be made with basic kitchen equipment that most people already have. However, some recipes may require specific tools, but these are clearly listed in the ingredients list.

Can I customize the recipes in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" to fit my dietary needs?

Yes, many of the recipes in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" can be easily customized to fit different dietary needs. We have included options for vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free recipes. You can also substitute ingredients to fit your specific dietary restrictions.

Are the ingredients in "Quick Tips for the Kitchen: Recipes & More!" easy to find?

Yes, the ingredients used in the recipes are common and can be found in most grocery stores. We have also included tips for alternative ingredients if a specific ingredient is not available in your area.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• hsilwamba
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
frozenchef
  • kaceyleigh2
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • laylaleigh