• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Quick and Healthy Meals for Busy Moms: Ideas and Recipes for Picky Eaters

In summary, Paula is looking for ideas for meals that her family can enjoy together. She is tired of chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and frozen pizzas. She is also tired of making casseroles. She has some ideas for quick and easy meals that her family will enjoy. One idea is to make quesadillas. Another is to make BBQ chicken sandwiches.
ChefPaulaB
Hi everyone... just looking for some new ideas for meals. This time of year is hard for me because my husband is a farmer so he's gone most of the time and I have a hard time fixing big meals for just me and the kids (4 and 6), but I also get really tired of chicken nuggets, hot dogs and frozen pizzas, which is what my kids would live on if I'd let them. On top of that, we have soccer practice and other things going on several times a week, so I need meals that I can either have made a head of time (like in the crock pot or just in the fridge ready to make) or something really fast. Also, I'd like some healthy options (hence the no chicken nuggets and frozen pizzas!). Also, my 6 year old DD is sooo picky... she really doesn't like any kind of a casserole which to me is what I'd like to make all the time. So, any ideas, suggestions, recipes or anything would be soooo helpful! I'm sure that I'm not the only one having these issues, so if we could all share then we can all benefit... of course, I have nothing to share except chicken nuggets, hot dogs and frozen pizzas! :eek: Thanks in advance!

I made the incredible thirty minute chicken last night and was great!!! Actually in my microwave it would have only needed about 22 min. It was not dry at all. The only sad part for my family is that the skin was not crispy! But fresh chicken is much more healthy than nuggets. The dark meat is best for kids too because it has more iron than the white meat.

I also use up my leftovers to make mystery soup. I bag up small amounts of left over meat and veggies and when there is enough, I dump it in the pot with chicken boullion or beef broth and we have yummy soup. My family loves it!

If you haven't done the pork tenderloin in the micro, it too is awesome. The tenderloin, so I have heard actually has less fat that white meat chicken.

Hope that helps, I am a mom of 3 and lunch is worst meal for me to come up with! If I could, we would eat that meal out every day!

Paula - do ANY of the Power Cooking recipes appeal to your kids? Even if your kids aren't crazy about the PC recipes - there are files that have TONS of other Power Cooking recipes.

What about searching Kids in the Kitchen shows - maybe that would give you some ideas. I have a few cookbooks that are specifically geared towards kids - or picky eaters. "Deceptively Delicious" is a good one for picky eaters because you 'hide' the veggies, etc.

"The Big Cook" is another great recipe book.

I know you said no nuggets - but in the 29 Minutes Vol 1 cookbook, there is a great recipe for Crunchy Whole Grain Chicken Nuggets - baked not fried! DS LOVES them, and he loves helping me make them!

When I have the pleasure of entertaining kids at our place, I always make the taco ring, side salad or some sort of veggie... Try using half a pack or taco seasoning, as makes it less spicy for the kids and they get a kick out of making the ring with the crescent dough...

My kids love all the power cooking meals (well except the chili, which DH and I LOVE!!) I serve the Tacos, hoagies and sloppy joe's in Flout tortillias. They love it and it is easy!

I just tonight made the BBQ chicken sandwiches Big hit with the kids. Quick and easy. Could be made ahead of time and warmed up to serve. They also LOVE the DCB Fajitas.

In 29 mins to dinner I doubble the skillet lasagna when I make it and freeze half. Makes a great dinner for the fam when I have a show.

When I make a meatloaf I do it in doubble it and make in the rectangle baker. Again I freeze half for another night.

My kids (4-8) also like the new pene pasta dish (as long as the tomato chunks arent too big) and the mex chicken lasagna.

Thank you everyone for your ideas... they'll all work for my DS but my DD is so darn picky... nothing with BBQ or any other kind of sauce. I guess she'll just have to learn to like other things! Great meal ideas, thank you!!!

Super simple quesadillas. I just take a tortilla & put refried beans on it with shredded cheese and a little Southwest Seasoning. Cook in the skillet until cheese is melted. Fold it in 1/2 and serve. For my daughter, she's decided she doesn't like melted cheese so I give her the cheese on the side.Of course, if you enjoy all of the wonderful taco toppings, you can add those. For her, I keep them simple. For veggies, I just make whatever I have. For fruit, I've been doing a lot of smoothies lately. Super easy and gets several different fruits in her at once.

Here is some recipes I just did at my KITK in February and April. They are fun!

Attachments

• FEBRUARY KITK WORKSHOP RECIPES.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 327
  • APRIL KITK WORKSHOP RECIPES.doc
    42.5 KB · Views: 277
what about wraps...you can make them ahead of time for those nights that you have practice or games.
if they don't like deli meat put PB&J in them

HTH!

MY DS is picky too, so was DD until I decided I will no longer make special meals for everyone. I am not a short order cook. If they are hungry enough they will give it a try. I do try to serve something at each meal I know everyone will eat Salad, apple sauce, carrot sticks even rolls and butter (limited amts of course if they do not eat most of dinner) I am now amazed at what my DD (8) will eat.

Another favorite... Pizza quesadillas... Flour tortillas spread a bit of Spaghetti sauce add mozarella and whatever else they like (my kids like cut up meatballs), fold in half and cook till bubbly in the flat sq pan.

Do the same with cooked seasoned chicken just add a bit of cheese if tthey do not like refried beans.

Sit down with the kids and break it down into what they like and will eat. They may surprise you!

1. What are some quick and easy recipes that kids will love?

Some quick and easy recipes that kids will love include mac and cheese with hidden vegetables, mini pizzas made with pita bread and toppings of their choice, and chicken tenders coated in crushed cereal instead of breadcrumbs.

2. How can I make mealtime less stressful with picky eaters?

One way to make mealtime less stressful with picky eaters is to involve them in the meal planning and preparation process. Let them choose which vegetables or protein they want to include in the meal and have them help you cook. This can help increase their interest and willingness to try new foods.

3. Are there any healthy options for quick kid-friendly meals?

Yes, there are many healthy options for quick kid-friendly meals. Some ideas include quinoa and vegetable stir fry, turkey and avocado wrap, and zucchini noodles with marinara sauce.

4. What are some make-ahead options for busy weeknights?

Make-ahead options for busy weeknights include prepping ingredients in advance, such as chopping vegetables or marinating meats, and storing them in the fridge until ready to use. Another option is to make a large batch of a dish, like chili or lasagna, and freezing individual portions for quick reheating on busy nights.

5. Can you recommend any Pampered Chef products that are helpful for making quick kid-friendly meals?

Yes, some helpful Pampered Chef products for making quick kid-friendly meals include the Quick Cooker, which can cook meals in minutes, and the Veggie Spiralizer, which can turn vegetables into fun and healthy noodle alternatives. The Quick Slice is also great for quickly slicing and dicing ingredients for meals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
KellyTheChef
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • jenniepc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
sjackson