• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Efficiently Prep Ingredients for My Taco Ring?

In summary, the taco ring recipe calls for chopping onions and tomatoes. The author recommends using a food chopper to do this, as it will produce better results that than using a knife. They also recommend demoing the mandoline before using it in order to get the hang of it. Finally, they mention that lots of tools are available to help with this project, including a salad chopper, crinkle cutter, and salad spinner.
ahammons
I'm making the taco ring for a show tonight, but I have some questions. I make this recipe all the time, but my kids and I don't eat tomatoes or onions and I usually buy pre-shredded lettuce. How do you all chop the onions and tomatoes and shred the lettuce?? I've tried onions in the food chopper before, and it didn't turn out to well - I think I'm too scared to try it at a show. Any suggestions?? Should I just chop them all with my utility knife?

For onions, I slice them, then chop them in the chopper, it works great! (1-2 slices at a time)About 10-15 hits on the chopper should be perfect. Just don't stack half an onion in your chopper, then you may have issues.Consider demoing your mandoline to slice the onions and tomatoes first.I personally slice tomatoes then chop them with a knife because they get messy for me in the chopper.Lettuce - salad choppers work great, a knife, even putting the knife-cut lettuce in a batter bowl and chopping with kitchen shears...although that is a MUCH less-used method.Lots of tools -lots of options!

I would show the Ultimate Mandoline for slicing the tomatoes and then have a guest chop them up with a knife (use the tomato knife if you can). Then show the forged cutlery to shred the lettuce - it can get it very fine! I do onions with the chopper all the time. What was the problem you had? You might want to chop up most of the onions before the show and then have a guest finish by using the chopper. You could also have an early guest chop up all the onion and then tell how easy it was.

Thanks! I was thinking about using the mandoline for the tomatoes, but it makes sense to use them for the onions before chopping them too! :)

With the food chopper, onions have always stuck together and get really watery... they don't get chopped very well.

The plan is for me to have one taco ring in the oven by the time guests get there, so at least I can start some of it before, then let guests help finish up.

ahammons said:
Thanks! I was thinking about using the mandoline for the tomatoes, but it makes sense to use them for the onions before chopping them too! :)

With the food chopper, onions have always stuck together and get really watery... they don't get chopped very well.

The plan is for me to have one taco ring in the oven by the time guests get there, so at least I can start some of it before, then let guests help finish up.

...just make sure your onion is fresh, cold, firm, not mushy and your blades of your chopper are clean, you don't overstack in the chopper and you don't "overchop" - that is when they get mushy and stuck.

10-15 hits should be more than enough - more and it'll get mushy.

I personally do not like doing tomatoes with the mandoline unless they are VERY firm. I normally just slice mine with the forged.

I use the chopper for onions. And I normally cut the onion in half and sometimes third depending on the size with the forged before chopping.

You could use the crinkle cutter on the lettuce too. And the salad spinner if you have it (I have one for sale if anyone needs it)

1. What is a taco ring?

A taco ring is a delicious and easy alternative to traditional tacos. It is made by filling a crescent roll dough with your desired taco ingredients and then folding it into a ring shape. It is then baked in the oven until golden brown and served with your favorite toppings.

2. What ingredients do I need to make a taco ring?

The basic ingredients for a taco ring include crescent roll dough, ground beef or turkey, taco seasoning, shredded cheese, and your choice of toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, and salsa. You can also customize it with other ingredients like black beans, corn, or bell peppers.

3. How do I assemble a taco ring?

To assemble a taco ring, you will need to unroll the crescent dough and lay it out in a circle on a baking sheet. Then, spoon the cooked and seasoned ground meat onto the dough and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Next, fold the pointed ends of the dough over the filling and tuck them underneath to create a ring shape. Bake according to the recipe instructions and top with your desired toppings before serving.

4. Can I make a vegetarian version of a taco ring?

Yes, you can definitely make a vegetarian taco ring by replacing the ground meat with a plant-based protein like tofu or black beans. You can also add in a variety of vegetables such as corn, bell peppers, and onions to add flavor and texture to your taco ring.

5. How long does a taco ring last in the fridge?

A taco ring can last in the fridge for up to 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container. To reheat, you can place it in the oven at 350°F for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through. It is not recommended to freeze a taco ring as the crescent dough may become soggy when defrosted.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SandyG
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
cwinter474
Replies
Views
yourpcgal
  • ChefLisa
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies