• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Question for Those of You Who Have Had Family Members Deployed.

V
vwpamperedchef
What do you send them? As in what goodies do they like to get? I want to know without letting my DH know...I am composing a list so that when people ask me I can just email them and they can pick and choose.

So far, and knowing my husband I have picked the following:

Coffee
Antibacterial Hand Gel
Home baked items
Hickory Farms or Swiss Colony
Amazon.com gift certificates (they ship to APOs) and DH can pick what he wants
Magazines, newspapers

Other then that I am stumped. Any ideas would be welcomed!

The guys around here always liked to receive Beef Jerky too. If I can find the list from my daughter's school of what they sent to the troops I'll post that too.

Vanessa - don't forget chapstick!

Yes, and sunscreen!

my list for my daughter's boyfriend includes single serving kool-aid to add to water bottles, and the wick-away socks.

good idea about the single serve drink mixes.

baby wipes.

my brother said that on their FOB toiletries are expensive so they like family to send it to them.

Thanks, its all coming back to me now!!

I read a list one about getting either single sized cookie packets or resealable tubes so that they don't have to worry about the dust getting into a whole bag of cookies.

My post office told me not to send the antibacterial hand stuff because it's flammable. Is that not true? I thought she was saying I couldn't send that.

JAE said:
My post office told me not to send the antibacterial hand stuff because it's flammable. Is that not true? I thought she was saying I couldn't send that.

You aren't supposed to send liquids through the mail (they can break and ruin other packages and mail) and gels are often considered liquid. Plus hand sanitizer is often largely alcohol which is flammable.

Small plastic containers of hand sanitizer can also freeze (the plastic bottles, not the sanitizer) and then crack in the hold of overseas planes.

foot powder
socks
tuna salad and chicken salad packets--they even make ones that are little lunch kits with crackers
air fresheners for the Humvees

DebbieJ said:
foot powder
socks
tuna salad and chicken salad packets--they even make ones that are little lunch kits with crackers
air fresheners for the Humvees

Tuna and chicken salad is out for my husband, he doesn't like mayo!
I gave him two airfresheners before he left and he was like "What am I supposed to do with that" I said I don't know put it in your dresser or something. Reluctantly he took it. A few days ago he told me he will be assigned a vehicle so now I can tell him what to do with the air freshener! LOL
I got the foot powder....socks is always a good idea. The wick ones someone mentioned stay dry.

JAE said:

We send it --- my husband likes Bath and Body Works scents. We package it with taped lids and in a ziploc bag.

I guess it would be flammable because of the small alcohol content in it. Never thought of it that way.

Tootsie Pops......they don't melt!

mrssyvo said:
my list for my daughter's boyfriend includes single serving kool-aid to add to water bottles, and the wick-away socks.

Socks..socks and more socks!! They go through them so fast and are important for health...Send extra for the whole group. That was our biggest request from the military.
gum, mints, hard candy
cookies like oreos (in the package) (they used to throw away homebaked for safety reasons-poison)
talcom powder
wipes and more wipes
chapped stick
lotion
germicidal hand wash
deodorant
eye wash
insect repellent wipes
small pop-tab open vienna sausages, chili, soups, fruit, sardines, tuna,
chicken, fruit juice,
peanut butter and crackers
gummy fruits
anything to flavor the nasty water there
and request $$ to send the items.. it is very expensive
cards letting them know they are the BEST and are thought of.
a small bag of USA soil/small US flags

Avoid perishable items, homebaked items, chocolates,

Please let us know when he goes back.. Maybe we can help out.

Thanks Ginger....we have a pretty big support group of friends and family. I am trying to compose a list to send to people----so I am not rethinking and retyping everytime someone asks!

My husband said they have an "excellent mess hall". So I am not so much worried about food persay, other then home baked goods. The people who would send home baked goods would be mostly family---

The socks are a great idea, but my husband is 2nd in command over 150+ soldiers, so there's no way I'd be sending that many socks!! But it is on the list of things to send!

I appreciate everyone's tips, and I am re-learning and remembering as I go! Its been 5 years since he last deployed....

Thanks, Happy New Year All.

We had a family member do 5 tours within the last few years, the last one was 1.5 years... When sending boxes overseas, it was mentioned by his group that Single serving portions of foods worked best because they could pack it easily and take it with them on assignment in case they get hungry. They would be out for days at a time.
Single serving packs of food are readily available and easy to get at a Costco type store in your area...
We have sent the following:drink mixes (single serving)
Emergen-C vitamin drink packets
Tylenol
advil
cookies
granola bars (with no chocolate, due to melting)
energy bars
beef Jerky
baby wipes
kleenex individual packs
hand sanitizer
ziplock type bags
ziplock type containers
flat packs of tuna, chicken, salmon (mayo free)good for energy
packets of Taco Bell Sauce (can add to MRE's)
Disposable Cameras
note pads
paper & pens
envelopes
portable washing machine
socks
crackers
magazines
Oh and we used to send fun gag type gifts, travel games and activity books like crosswords, word search, mad libs and other fun stuff so when they had down time the could goof off...that is about all I can remember...
Good luck with the list and I will be adding you to my prayer list...Happy New Year!!!

My DH got tired of eating in the mess hall, so he always wanted me to send him things he could make in his room in the microwave

mac 'n cheese
microwavable desserts (forget what they are called, delighful desserts, maybe)
ramen noodles
some pastas that you add water to and microwave.

I would make him some things like Chex Mix, put it in a gladware and then put it in a Ziploc and he said it tasted fresh.
I would also send him his favorite shower gel (in a Ziploc).
He always wanted M&M's.

Oh, and gatorade powder, he went through a ton of that, plus it's cheaper than individual drink packets.

I'd also put little sticky notes all inside the box, he loved that and would stick them on his dressing cabinet or his desk (if your DH is lucky enough to not be in the field).

Last edited:
Oh, and if you can find the Under Armor socks or the undershirts, he'd be eternally grateful.......(or, at least mine was!!!)

My son was in Korea and his girlfriend was in Kuwait. She wanted magazine, shampoos, etc. We also sent both of the frisbees and phone cards, along with many other things mentioned above. They appreciated packaged snacks as it was usually something they couldn't get there -- yes, they eat in mess halls, but how boring is that. My thoughts, prayers, and wishes for safe keeping go out to all of you and your loved ones serving our country everywhere around the world.

Q-tips- don't forget those!!

My BF also had me send him Gallon size Ziploc freezer bags. He would put his stuff in those to carry across base when he didn't want sand in them b/c he said his backpack was full of sand and there were certain things he just didn't want sand in.

We also sent him batteries (MP3 player, digital camera)

most of his stuff he got on base, there were just a few things that were really pricey.

My ex husband never liked the individual packets of drink mixes, said it took too many to flavor his canteen, I sent the large cans of powder, then he could flavor as needed.

For his birthday, I sent a care package with a gift, hostess cupcakes, decorations, party favors made up for his squad, and games. I sent it to his team leader, and the guys decorated his room and they had a small surprise party for him.

an inflatable pool, squirt guns, water balloons also make a nice themed pack.

travel games

blank greeting cards for sending notes or thank yous to family and friends back here.

snackie foods

toiletries were a big thing to send, as someone said, they are cheaper here.

our FRG would get together around the holidays and make up care packages for each Soldier. We had 150 and would send out x number of boxes to each squad leader to pass out to his guys. We would get on oriental trading to order items to make like small easter baskets or christmas stockings and so on. I was our fundraiser/event coordinator so I was in charge of these things.

I'll post back if I remember more that I use to send.

also, don't forget that you can get on usps.com and look up each apo zip for restrictions on sending things. some countries don't allow certain things like pork or beef!

Thanks all, great tips.
I thought about the ziploc bags and I will add that too.

Andrea, I like the idea of blank cards. I will have to find some "manly" ones.

Thankfully, most of the time my husband will be working in an office, so they have coffee pots, water bottles, etc.

I am keeping a running list----thanks all so much.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

gailz2 said:
My son was in Korea and his girlfriend was in Kuwait. She wanted magazine, shampoos, etc. We also sent both of the frisbees and phone cards, along with many other things mentioned above. They appreciated packaged snacks as it was usually something they couldn't get there -- yes, they eat in mess halls, but how boring is that.

My thoughts, prayers, and wishes for safe keeping go out to all of you and your loved ones serving our country everywhere around the world.

Thank you for your prayers.

My DH did say the mess hall was EXCELLENT. And trust me, he's had his share of combat tours where the food was not excellent. He siad there are many choices....so I dont think it gets boring...but not to worry he will be sent plently of homemade goodies!

I love all the ideas that I'm reading!!!

Here are a couple more:

I baked a bunch of cupcakes once, packaged 4 to a gallon sized ziplock & squeezed out as much air as I could. Then packaged all the ziplock bags inside a smaller box inside the big box (so they wouldn't get smushed). Along with a bunch of other items loose in the big box was an unopened can of Betty Crocker Frosting and a plastic knife. It was a HUGE hit with my hubby and his friends. He said no one in his group had EVER received cupcakes in a care package.

My nephew just got back from Iraq. They had their own small kitchen & the ability to cook ... so my sister sent him stuff like Taco Seasoning mix so that they could spice up their meals some. He loved that! She also sent him a big birthday box with children themed birthday plates, hats, misc party favors & a bunch of rice krispy treats. My 22 year old nephew was the oldest in his group, so all the guys under him got a big kick out of having a birthday party. LOL

My nephew is big into giving. So my sister would go by the dollar store & pick up a bunch of items like toothbrushes, small toy footballs, frisbees, etc. & mail them to him to pass out to the kids in the village. My nephew was VERY popular with the locals.

1. What are some popular items to send to deployed family members?

Some popular items to send to deployed family members include coffee, antibacterial hand gel, home-baked goodies, gourmet food baskets from companies like Hickory Farms or Swiss Colony, Amazon.com gift certificates (which can be shipped to APO addresses), magazines, and newspapers.

2. Why is coffee a commonly requested item for deployed family members?

Coffee is often requested because it provides a sense of comfort and familiarity, and can help combat fatigue and improve mood. Additionally, it can be difficult for deployed individuals to access high-quality coffee while on duty.

3. Are there any specific brands or types of coffee that are preferred by deployed family members?

This may vary depending on personal taste, but some popular brands among deployed individuals include Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, and Peet's Coffee. Some may also appreciate receiving specialty or flavored coffees.

4. Why are Amazon.com gift certificates a good option for sending to deployed family members?

Amazon.com gift certificates are popular because they can be used to purchase a wide variety of items, including books, electronics, and personal care products. They also offer shipping to APO addresses, making it convenient for both the sender and recipient.

5. What are some other thoughtful items to include in a care package for deployed family members?

In addition to the items already mentioned, other thoughtful items to include in a care package for deployed family members could include personal notes or letters, photos, small gifts or trinkets, hygiene products, and snacks. You may also consider including items that reflect the recipient's hobbies or interests, such as books, games, or sports equipment.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • pampchefrhondab
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
PChefPEI
  • Jean DeVries
  • General Chat
Replies