• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Question About Sales Tax!!

In summary, sales tax is a percentage added onto the price of goods or services sold at retail, which is collected by the seller and remitted to the government. It is used to fund government programs and services. The amount of sales tax charged is based on the tax rate set by the state or local government, which can vary depending on location and type of product. Sales tax is typically applied to most purchases, but there are some exceptions and exemptions. If an item is returned, a refund for the sales tax paid should be received, but this may vary by store. Some ways to potentially save on sales tax include sales tax holidays and lower tax rates for certain goods.
DebbieSAChef
Hello everyone, I have an urgent question!! I have a show this Sat., really last minute, but I'm not complaining, just wanted to know something.
She wants to ship a gift to her mother who lives in Kansas. I checked shipping rates for special shipping and it is according to weight. So I got an amount anywhere from $6 to $9 to $14 depending on the weight. Anyway my question is this:
Do we charge her sales tax for here in TX (8.125%)? Or do we do sales tax for KS? Thanks, Debbie

I would think that the TX rate applies - I mean she is purchasing the item in TX, right?

Tax is charged for the location to where the product is being shipped.

Log on to the Consultant's Corner and do a tax lookup for the zip code in Kansas to verify the tax rate.

The direct shipping rate is based on the amount of the sale, not the weight. Sales tax is charged for where the item is being shipped to, in this case, Kansas.

Hi Debbie, thank you for reaching out with your question. When shipping a gift to another state, sales tax is typically charged based on the recipient's location. In this case, since your customer's mother lives in Kansas, you would charge the sales tax rate for Kansas (which may be different from Texas). I recommend double checking with your accountant or the state's tax laws to confirm the correct rate. Best of luck with your show this Saturday!

1. What is sales tax and why do I have to pay it?

Sales tax is a percentage added onto the price of goods or services that are sold at retail. It is collected by the seller and then remitted to the government. Sales tax is used to fund various government programs and services, such as schools and infrastructure.

2. How is sales tax calculated?

The amount of sales tax charged is based on the tax rate set by the state or local government. The tax rate can vary depending on the location and the type of product being sold. To calculate the sales tax, simply multiply the tax rate by the purchase price. For example, if the tax rate is 7% and the purchase price is $100, the sales tax would be $7.

3. Do I have to pay sales tax on all purchases?

In most cases, yes. Sales tax is typically applied to most goods and services sold at retail. However, there are some exceptions and exemptions that vary by state. For example, some states do not charge sales tax on groceries or prescription medication.

4. Can I get a refund for sales tax if I return an item?

In most cases, yes. If you return an item and receive a refund for the purchase price, you should also receive a refund for the sales tax paid. However, this may vary depending on the store's return policy, so it is best to check with the store directly.

5. Are there any ways to save on sales tax?

Some states offer sales tax holidays during specific times of the year, where certain items may be exempt from sales tax. Additionally, some states have a lower tax rate for certain types of goods, such as food or clothing. It is always a good idea to research your state's sales tax laws and exemptions to potentially save on sales tax.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• buckeyefan08
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
chefann
  • ChefJWarren
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
ChefJWarren
  • esavvymom