• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is the GST in Ontario still 8% or has it changed for 2009?

In summary, GST stands for Goods and Services Tax and is a federal tax applied to most goods and services in Canada. In Ontario, the current GST rate is 5%. However, not all products and services in Ontario have GST included in their prices and some may be exempt. To determine if a product or service is subject to GST, you can check your receipt or invoice, or visit the Canada Revenue Agency's website for a list of exemptions. The GST rate can vary in different provinces and territories, with Ontario having a 13% HST rate (combining the 5% GST and 8% provincial rate). Eligible individuals and families in Ontario may also claim a GST rebate.
yankeeinontario
Silver Member
I just had a customer phone and ask me if the GST on her order was correct. I can't find the info. on our website any where! I charged her 8% GST and 5% PST for a total of 13%. Did something change on Jan 1, 2009 or have I totally missed the boat here?

I do believe that gst (or hst, depending on where you live) went down 1% in Jan.

Nope, it went down 1% in Jan 08 but not Jan 09. Total for ontario is 13%. No taxes on spices and only GST on cookbooks in Ontario.

Hi, yes we have 13% here in Ontario. I believe gst is 5% and pst is 8%. That may be what your guest is questioning?? HTH

1. What is GST and how does it apply to Ontario?

GST stands for Goods and Services Tax, and it is a federal tax that applies to most goods and services sold or provided in Canada. In Ontario, the current GST rate is 5%, which is added to the sale price of most products and services.

2. Do all products and services in Ontario have GST included in their prices?

No, not all products and services in Ontario have GST included in their prices. Some items are exempt from GST, such as basic groceries, prescription drugs, and certain medical devices. Additionally, some businesses may be small suppliers and are not required to charge GST on their products and services.

3. How do I know if I need to pay GST on a product or service in Ontario?

If a product or service is subject to GST in Ontario, it will be listed on your receipt or invoice as "GST". You can also check the Canada Revenue Agency's website for a list of items that are exempt from GST.

4. Is the GST rate the same in all provinces and territories in Canada?

No, the GST rate can vary in different provinces and territories in Canada. In addition to the federal GST rate of 5%, some provinces and territories also have a provincial sales tax (PST) or a harmonized sales tax (HST) that is added to the total price. In Ontario, the HST rate is 13% (combining the 5% GST and 8% provincial rate).

5. Can I claim a GST rebate in Ontario?

Yes, you may be eligible to claim a GST rebate in Ontario if you are a low-income individual or family, a First Nations individual, or a visitor to Canada. You can find more information on eligibility and how to apply for a GST rebate on the Canada Revenue Agency's website.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcsharon1
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • DebPC
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • mspibb