• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Get Reimbursed for a Bounced Check from a Guest?

In summary, a guest's check bounced and it took a long time for it to come back to the host. The guest has since gotten their merchandise, but the host wishes the customer would have been more responsive.
jenniferm
Gold Member
So, I usually take checks from anyone...not just the host, until now. I got my first bounced check from a guest. I have tried to call her. I did get the products from the host and now have a question. If I return them, will they send me the money paid for them or her and do I have to repay my commission on the order?

When you call, just explain the situation, and HO will refund to you. It will not affect your commission of the hosts benefits.

Did you reach a voice mail to leave a message to the guest? I'd let her know that for some reason the check didn't clear, would she be able to pay you cash for the items or send a new check. Then you can give her the products when she pays you. Does the host know a better way to reach her? I would try a couple times to make contact w/ her before returning her products.They don't take away your commission on returns, so it would be okay to return it. Just be sure to do it in the first 30 days.

I've had a bad check and contacted the individual (a friend, unfortunately) and there had actually be an error at the bank. Later that day the check was fine, but I waited to return to the bank till the next day.

I have tried to 2 weeks to recash the check and have had no luck. I called her several times and left messages and the host works with her and told her to contact me about her order because something was wrong and she has yet to do it. I guess I will just have to return it at this point.

I would speak with the host one more time just to be sure...I recently had a guest's check bounce twice. I did make contact with her by calling at work and she acted like she didn't know it happened. My host felt sure that she wanted her products, so I took the check to her bank and had them check for me if it was able to be cashed. It wasn't the first time I went in, but I was able to call the bank and check again a few days later to see if it could be cashed. I got my money, she got her products, etc. she even came to another show of a friend recently. I believe she was more embarrassed by the situation than trying to not pay. Just another way to look at the situation I guess...

I don't know. She knows that she is not getting her products and I have went to the bank everyday for the last 2 weeks...even on her payday. I think it is a lost cause...thanks for all the advice.

I had a guests check bounce but what upsets me is it took almost two weeks to come back to me. The guest has since gotten their merchandise. I called the guest and they said they had been in the hospital and would send out a money order that day. It has now been 3 weeks. I have tried calling again and the first time the person on the phone said she was her sister and she would get her. Next thing I know I got disconnected after 5 minutes. Since then she has not answered the phone. I don't know what I can do at this point :(

What is WRONG with people?!

esavvymom said:
What is WRONG with people?!

I second that! What really gets me is when someone pays with a CC and then it doesn't go through and their excuse is...I thought that already went through the night I gave it to you. Don't people keep their checkbooks up to date?

I had this happen to me too! Actually it was declined credit card now that I think about it, but it works the same. HO will take merchandise back but not food items. The order I had had several food items I couldn't return. I made sure to speak with someone at HO and made sure the check would be made out to me and not the customer, it took a very long time because it was durning the time PC was changing over to new comp. systems. I hated that. Customer never came thru for me, now I wouldn't take anything from her but cash, but truthfully I'd rather never see her again.

Fluffy215 said:
I had a guests check bounce but what upsets me is it took almost two weeks to come back to me. The guest has since gotten their merchandise. I called the guest and they said they had been in the hospital and would send out a money order that day. It has now been 3 weeks. I have tried calling again and the first time the person on the phone said she was her sister and she would get her. Next thing I know I got disconnected after 5 minutes. Since then she has not answered the phone. I don't know what I can do at this point :(

I had a hosts' check bounce, and my bank filed a paymnet note (can't remember what it is called exactly) with the hosts bank. So basically the check was at the hosts bank and when the money was in her bank so the check would clear, they ran the check. They hold it for 2 weeks and check it everyday. My bank did charge a small fee for the process, but my bounced check was over $300.

You might ask your bank about it.

Question (below) about accepting checks

I had my first bounced check in almost 3 years - I was always able to get the money back within about 3 days from each person.

This time I am having a hard time - no answer to person of the check or the host - neither one will call me back. I am going to send a letter (will have to sign for it) and see what happens then.

I might try to take it to their bank and see what happens there also.

My question is: What can I put on my order form letting people know that if they write a check and it bounce - charges will apply ? ? ?

I want it to sound professional and legal at the same time

I have been thinking about doing this for a while but haven’t, now I wished I would have

The crazy thing about this is I found out last week about this and the check was deposited on August 1st. I called the bank to ask why it took so long because the guest already has the products.

:chef:

Last edited:
there was a thread about this not to long ago...i think it was within a thread that i started...and someone on here does that! i can't remember if she told us exactly what she says on her paperwork but if you go to the thread "possible bad check" i think that is where it is at! maybe you could pm the poster who mentioned that!

Thank You - I am now going to do another search

pc_jessica said:
there was a thread about this not to long ago...i think it was within a thread that i started...and someone on here does that! i can't remember if she told us exactly what she says on her paperwork but if you go to the thread "possible bad check" i think that is where it is at! maybe you could pm the poster who mentioned that!

okay i was wrong its not in the thread that i mentioned...but i know i seen it somewhere! im looking for it...

okay i found it!!
look under chefs lounge and the thread is titled "would you charge for this?"

Thank You - I found it

Fluffy215 said:

I had a guests check bounce ($80) and that was in March or April, and I still have no repayment after leaving several messages. :(:rolleyes::grumpy: and she also had the products by the time I got notice from the bank.

When we have clients bounce checks to the salon I work at, we make several attempts to contact them by phone, and then we send them a certified letter (to the address on the check). It's a 10 day demand letter, threatening legal action if they do not contact us to pay. Then if they do not respond, we can take it to the circuit court. There is no fee. Many times, just the threat of legal action will get someone to pay! Otherwise, the city will make a civil case against them, send them a supeona, and they can either pay you before the court date, or you can take them to court (again there's no charges for you). The judge will give them a certain amount of time to pay, and then they go to jail. Most people will just pay you, rather than go to court over a bad check!

Those of you who have bad checks in hand AND you are convinced that they have no interest in trying to pay you: You can contact your local courthouse about filing criminal charges. In Texas, it's called "theft by check", I'm sure the other states have similar laws. It's not a fast process, but once the check is issued as a Warrant for Arrest, it goes into what's known as a "Regional Data Base" file of warrants. The next time that an inquiry is made on that person by a Police Officer in your region (traffic violation, Police are called on a family disturbance, they get detained for shoplifting, etc.) the warrant will show up. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the officer will take the person to jail. They will then have to pay the fine or go to court to get out of jail. In most states, a warrant check is done on everyone trying to renew their drivers license. So if they don't get into trouble, they will eventually get caught when they go to renew their DL. ;)

This could definitely make a case for having the shows ship to YOUR home and not the host's. By the time the order arrives, you'll know what's cleared and what hasn't. - Or if you have past guests with a "history", you can make sure THAT show goes to your house and not the host's till all monies are settled at the bank.*I would definitely keep track of these losses though, because i THINK you can claim them on your taxes somehow....not sure how so ask your tax accountant. :D*

esavvymom said:
This could definitely make a case for having the shows ship to YOUR home and not the host's. By the time the order arrives, you'll know what's cleared and what hasn't. - Or if you have past guests with a "history", you can make sure THAT show goes to your house and not the host's till all monies are settled at the bank.

*I would definitely keep track of these losses though, because i THINK you can claim them on your taxes somehow....not sure how so ask your tax accountant. :D*

I submitted the checks and money on July 26 and the show on July 31st, the order arrived on Aug 6th at my home, I delievered everything on the Aug 7th and the check came back last week.

In the past it never took that long for the checks to come back bounced - it was always 2 or 3 days. I checked my account online and everything was fine on July 31st so I submitted the show. I tell my host that if the checks are made out to me I will need them 3 - 4 days before we close her show or she gives me her check/Credit card on the day we close. I never expected it to take this long.

I am giving them until Wednesday to return my phone calls - if nothing, then I am going to send a certified letter, give them at date to respond and then nothing I will take it to court.

Now here is another question - I have the host work number, If I don't hear back from either of them, should I give her a call at her work. I have been calling her cell phone number. One time her husband answered and he said that he would give her a message to call me and NO I didn't say anything to him about the check.

Now what ? ? ?

I would NOT take up this matter with the host. It's basically between you and the guest at this point since you took the check. If the guest wants to involve the host, that's his/her prerogative. But if you tell the host that the guest's check bounced, you could potentially be putting yourself in a position of civil liability (depending on your state laws).

If you end up having to take it up a level (to court), you want to show that you made a sufficient effort to resolve the issue, without intentionally trying to embarrass the other person and without overstepping the line to the point of harassment. Leaving a message on her cell phone that the check was returned should be okay. But you certainly wouldn't want to leave that message with a co-worker. KWIM? If you have the guest's work number it would be okay to call their job & leave a message. You should then wait at least 3 days to see if he/she returns your call. I think 3 attempts to contact him/her at work is a sufficient number to know that they have chosen to not return your call. Just don't do them all in the same day or week! Make sure you space them out about 3-4 days apart. If you call multiple times in the same day you would definitely fall under the "harassment" category.

1. What happens if my check bounces?

If your check bounces, it means that there are not enough funds in your account to cover the amount of the check. This can result in fees from both your bank and the recipient's bank. It is important to make sure you have enough funds in your account before writing a check.

2. How do I know if my check has bounced?

You will typically be notified by your bank or the recipient's bank that the check has bounced. The check may also be returned to you with a notice of insufficient funds.

3. Can I still use checks if I have a history of bounced checks?

It is not recommended to continue using checks if you have a history of bounced checks. This can damage your credit and make it difficult to open new bank accounts in the future.

4. Can I dispute a bounced check fee?

You may be able to dispute a bounced check fee with your bank if you believe the fee was charged unfairly. However, it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure there are enough funds in your account before writing a check.

5. How can I avoid writing a bounced check?

To avoid writing a bounced check, make sure to keep track of your account balance and only write checks for the amount that is available in your account. You can also consider using alternative forms of payment, such as debit or credit cards, to ensure the funds are available at the time of the transaction.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Michelle's Kitchen
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • wadesgirl