• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Why did my pumpkin trifle turn into a disaster?

In summary, the conversation is about a trifle recipe that has been made and found to have too much filling, cake, and whipped cream. Suggestions are given to adjust the ingredients, such as using less cake and whipped cream, and omitting the top layer. There is also a suggestion to use a pre-made pound cake for the cake layer. There is a link provided for a different trifle recipe as well.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
OK, not exactly ...

But I made the recipe I'm about to post and it wouldn't even fit in the bowl, and that's with one layer left out!

What did I do wrong? Used the whole cake (baked in the square baker.) Used too much whipped cream (frankly, 24 ounces of whippped topping is too much for this bowl.)

It's just family eating it tomorrow but on Saturday I am making this for a show!

Cake Layer
1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix (and ingredients to make it)
1 Tbsp Cinnamon Plus

Pumpkin Layer
1 Large Box Vanilla Pudding
1 1/2 cup Milk
1 (15oz) can pumpkin (without spices)
3/4 tsp Cinnamon Plus
16 oz Frozen Whipped topping (thawed)

Top Layer
1 Small Box French Vanilla Pudding
1 Cup Milk
8 oz Frozen Whipped topping (thawed)

1) Mix the Cinnamon Plus in with the cake mix, add the other ingredients that the box calls for. Bake. When cool, cube.

2)Mix large box of pudding, 1 1/2 cups of milk, Can Pumpkin, and Cinnamon Plus mix that well, fold in 16 oz Whipped Topping

3)Combine 1 cup Milk, Small box of Pudding, fold in 8 oz whipped topping.

To assemble your trifle place part of the cubed cake in the trifle bowl, put pumpkin mixture on top of that then top with pudding mixture. Repeat.

Are you cutting the cake into small cubes? I bake the cake in the large bar pan and cut small cubes from that.Are you doing it in repeating layers? Cake-filling-topping-cake-filling-topping-cake-filling-topping?I would leave the whipped cream out of the pumpkin layer, and top it with just plain whipped cream (16oz package).Robin

I made this trifle at my show last night. WAAAAAYYYYY to much pumpkin filling. In fact, way too much filling period. I am making this all month, so I have to figure this out fast. For tomorrow night, I am only using small boxes of pudding and cool whip. But the cake question is a mystery. I baked mine in the bar pan and had way too much cake. I had cut all the cake before hand, but for tomorrow night, I will only cut up half. That way, in case I have filling left, they can serve it with the cake the next day.

BTW... I am topping my trifle with caramel and pecans. Really does make the dessert.

I make this one all the time. It really does fill the bowl.

I only use 1/2 of a cake in the Large Bar Pan for a trifle anyway, so I freeze the other half for next time.

I really push down the cake, and make sure it is a single layer. And I only do 2 layers. If I do 3, it will not all fit in.

Last time I made this, I messed up on the whipped cream and found that the pumpkin layer is just fine with only 8 oz. (And yes, you would probably be fine leaving the whipped cream out of it all together)

Next time I do this, I am definitely only going to use 8-oz in the pumpkin layer (instead of 16-oz). And I feel that I could have more of the topping layer, so maybe I'll add some extra whipped cream to that layer. Maybe 4-oz whipped cream in the pumpkin layer and 12 oz in topping layer (using a total of 2 8-oz containers)

Good Luck!

I'm going to make this for a show this weekend. The recipe I found is in the file calls for pumpkin pie spice. Can the cinnamon plus spice be substituted?

You could always count on Sara Lee to make one of those fabulous pound cakes (just the right size). I keep some in my freezer as they are great for trifles. Just thaw and cube them up.

When I do this trifle, I omit the separate top layer completely, and just top with the normal filling plus some pecans, maybe some caramel, and some sweet cinnamon sprinkle. I still never use all of the cake nor all of the pumpkin filling, however.

Di, I thought I PM'ed and told you this. Sorry if I didn't. Yep, when I made it the same thing happened. I actually had enough for almost 2 whole trifles! SOOOOOOO very much!

What is a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster"?

A "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster" is a popular dessert recipe made with layers of pumpkin cake, whipped cream, and pumpkin pudding. It is a delicious and festive treat perfect for fall gatherings.

What are the ingredients needed for a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster"?

The ingredients for a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster" include pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice cake mix, whipped cream, pumpkin pudding mix, milk, and optional toppings such as crushed gingersnap cookies or chopped pecans.

Can I make a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster" in advance?

Yes, you can make a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster" in advance. The cake can be baked and the pudding can be made a day or two before assembling the triffle. However, it is best to wait and add the whipped cream and toppings right before serving to ensure freshness.

Can I use a different type of cake mix for a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster"?

Yes, you can use a different type of cake mix for a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster". While pumpkin spice cake mix is recommended for this recipe, you can also use vanilla or yellow cake mix if desired. Just be sure to add some pumpkin spice to the mix to get the same flavor profile.

Are there any alternatives for pumpkin puree in a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster"?

Yes, there are alternatives for pumpkin puree in a "Pumpkin Triffle Disaster". You can use canned sweet potato puree or make your own puree by roasting and mashing butternut squash or carrots. Just be sure to adjust the amount of pumpkin spice used to accommodate the different flavor profiles.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
abigailhutch
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • sburnside