1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Pumpkin Roll question

1. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

I am finally going to try my very first Pumpkin Roll. I figured I would use the recipe from the Libby's Pumpkin site. BUT - the instructions say:

Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.

I can't imagine cooking with WAX paper. It is not a typo - the video online clearly shows and states WAX paper.

Has anyone made this recipe? Do you use WAX paper??
    Or does anyone have a tried & true recipe?

Oct 6, 2009
  2. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Lots of old recipes use wax paper. For a long time that was the only thing readily available. Several of my quickbreads recipes call for lining the pan with wax paper. I would suggest substituting parchment.

Oct 6, 2009
  3. kam

Thank you! That's what I wanted to do...but having NEVER made a Pumpkin Roll - wasn't sure if the parchment would work.

Oct 6, 2009
  4. pampered1224

pampered1224 Legacy Member Silver Member

From America's Test Kitchens - most recipes that call for lining a pan with wax paper is due to the high amount of sugar in the recipe. Most sugary batters WILL STICK to parchment paper no what you do to them. However, recomendations are based on the old parchement papers that were just that, plain paper. The other reason for using wax paper is that you do need to grease the wax paper a bit but you usually do not need to flour it thus eliminating that floury build up on the pastry you are making. It just makes it look better. Remember that most current parchment papers - including ours - has two sides. One is dull and one is shinny. Make sure the shinny side is the side that is up and that you pour the batter onto that side.

Oct 6, 2009
  5. kam

WOW- Thanks for the fantastic info, John. I never knew all that.

So, maybe I will try it with the wax paper...it just seems so odd to bake with it.

Though, I just told DH I was going to try to make a Pumpkin Roll - and he said it was TOO EARLY!! :eek: He is crazy. It is October - and I am ready for all the Pumpkin recipes! Maybe I'll try it next week instead.

Oct 6, 2009
  6. Luv 2 Cook

Luv 2 Cook Member

Pumpkin Rolls are one of my favorites, I have been making them for years!! I alos use the Libby's recipe and follow it to a tee!! I use wax paper and also grease and flour it!! Never had a problem!!

Oct 6, 2009
  7. Shawnna

Shawnna Senior Member Gold Member

I make pumpkin rolls every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I use parchment paper.

Oct 7, 2009
  8. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Veteran Member Gold Member

I amke them every year, and frankly use whichever I have available or grab out of cupboard first, WP or PP.

I have been asked for friends charity bake sale, to make 25 - 50 of these for Nov. and Dec. Bake sales. I wanted to die, when I said I'd help, I had NO idea she'd want or need that many.

I use my mom's recipe. For Pumpkin Roll Tirfle, I use a customer's copy for filling.

Either Way, YUMMO!!

9. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

You can also use wax paper in a microave. It doesn't melt. It just gets kinda....limp, I guess is what it would be.

Oct 7, 2009
  10. ChefForrester

ChefForrester Novice Member

Just wanted to let all of you know that you are very mean to post this discussion about yummy pumpkin rolls, yet no recipe. When I go to files and type in pumpkin roll, still no recipe! Now it's 430 in the morning and I am craving pumpkin rolls, and I don't even know what they are!!!!

11. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

It's on the inside of the label if you buy Libby canned pumpkin. Is there a pumpkin blight or something? I went to 2 stores tonight, and they were out of Libby's pumpkin. Hanh?
    The recipe is probably on the Libby website, too....they have a good website.

Oct 8, 2009
  12. Lisa/ChefBear

Lisa/ChefBear Veteran Member Gold Member

Here's my mom's recipe........

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll Mom Frisbie

3 Eggs
    1 Cup Sugar

Beat for 5 Minutes (Be specific with time)

add to above mixture:
    2/3 Cup Pumpkin
    1 tsp. Baking Soda
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/8 to ¼ tsp. Pumpkin Spice
    ¾ Cup Flour

Mix Well.
    Grease and line a Jelly Roll Pan with Waxed Paper, or parchment paper.
    Spread cake evenly in pan and Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
    While cake is baking on counter top or cooling rack, place a tea towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
    When you remove cake from oven, turn upside down on tea towel sprinkled with powdered sugar, Remove Pan and Waxed paper and roll and let cool, approx. 2 hours.

Filling:
    1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese
    4 TBLS. butter/margarine
    1 Cup Powdered Sugar
    1½ tsps. vanilla
    Mix Well
    Spread onto cooled cake, unroll, spread crm cheese mixture, re-roll and keep cool, can sprinkle with powdered sugar again to "look nice"!

Here's my recipe that I use for Pumpkin Roll Trifle, as the above filling it too thick for trifle.......

Pumpkin Roll Trifle
    Mom Frisbie's Orig. Recipe tweaked using Darlene's filling recipe.

For Cake:
    3 Eggs
    1 Cup Sugar

Beat for 5 Minutes (Be specific with time)

Add to above mixture:
    2/3 Cup Pumpkin
    1 tsp. Baking Soda
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/8 to ¼ tsp. Pumpkin Spice
    ¾ Cup Flour

Mix Well.
    Grease and line a Jelly Roll Pan with Waxed Paper, or parchment paper.* I just put into my Stoneware Lg. Bar Pan, very seasoned, so I don't have to worry about it, if it wasn't I'd use some Pan-Eze before putting in cake.

Spread cake evenly in pan and Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

Let cake cool on cooling rack and loosen around edges.
    Using Bread Knife (Serrated) we then cut it into Cubes.

Make Filling:
    1 Cup Sugar
    8 Oz Cream Cheese, softened
    3 Cups Cool Whip – 8 Oz. Cool Whip

Take Cream Cheese and soften in Microwave in Classic Batter Bowl. Add other ingredients and mix together. Can be made ahead and chilled.

To assemble Trifle:
    Take 1/3 of cake cubes and put into Trifle bowl.
    Spread 1/3 of filling onto cake; drizzle with Caramel Ice Cream Topping
    Sprinkle with Chopped Pecans (opt) - I left on side in Prep Bowl in case of allergies
    and repeat until finished and top with Caramel topping.
    You can also sprinkle with Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles and/or Sweet Caramel Sprinkles.

Now I want to go and make one and start to eat it without hubby knowing I made one, lol.

Lisa

13. PCMomto4

PCMomto4 Member

I know here the pumpkin filling is a seasonal thing so maybe the stores don't have them in yet! I think Wal-Mart sells it year round just not Publix (our grocery store)!

Oct 8, 2009
  14. kam

Our store carries canned pumpkin all year round - but they always seem to run out around now, too. I guess it's a shock to them that people buy canned pumpkin this time of year - imagine that :rolleyes: And, really, it's a canned good - it's not like it has a short shelf life.

Oct 8, 2009
Have something to add?