• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Pumpkin Roll Recipe: Is Wax Paper Necessary?

In summary, the recipe calls for 3 eggs, 1 cup sugar, 2/3 cup pumpkin, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1/8 to ¼ tsp. pumpkin spice. The cake is to be spread evenly in a jelly roll pan and baked at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. The cake is then turned upside down and sprinkled with powdered sugar while still warm. The cream cheese mixture is to be spread onto the cooled cake and unrolled. The cake is then re-rolled and kept cool.
kam
Staff member
I am finally going to try my very first Pumpkin Roll. I figured I would use the recipe from the Libby's Pumpkin site. BUT - the instructions say:

Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.

I can't imagine cooking with WAX paper. It is not a typo - the video online clearly shows and states WAX paper.

Has anyone made this recipe? Do you use WAX paper??
Or does anyone have a tried & true recipe?

Lots of old recipes use wax paper. For a long time that was the only thing readily available. Several of my quickbreads recipes call for lining the pan with wax paper. I would suggest substituting parchment.

raebates said:
Lots of old recipes use wax paper. For a long time that was the only thing readily available. Several of my quickbreads recipes call for lining the pan with wax paper. I would suggest substituting parchment.

Thank you! That's what I wanted to do...but having NEVER made a Pumpkin Roll - wasn't sure if the parchment would work.

From America's Test Kitchens - most recipes that call for lining a pan with wax paper is due to the high amount of sugar in the recipe. Most sugary batters WILL STICK to parchment paper no what you do to them. However, recomendations are based on the old parchement papers that were just that, plain paper. The other reason for using wax paper is that you do need to grease the wax paper a bit but you usually do not need to flour it thus eliminating that floury build up on the pastry you are making. It just makes it look better. Remember that most current parchment papers - including ours - has two sides. One is dull and one is shinny. Make sure the shinny side is the side that is up and that you pour the batter onto that side.

WOW- Thanks for the fantastic info, John. I never knew all that.

So, maybe I will try it with the wax paper...it just seems so odd to bake with it.

Though, I just told DH I was going to try to make a Pumpkin Roll - and he said it was TOO EARLY!! :eek: He is crazy. It is October - and I am ready for all the Pumpkin recipes! Maybe I'll try it next week instead.

Pumpkin Rolls are one of my favorites, I have been making them for years!! I alos use the Libby's recipe and follow it to a tee!! I use wax paper and also grease and flour it!! Never had a problem!!

I make pumpkin rolls every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I use parchment paper.

I amke them every year, and frankly use whichever I have available or grab out of cupboard first, WP or PP.

I have been asked for friends charity bake sale, to make 25 - 50 of these for Nov. and Dec. Bake sales. I wanted to die, when I said I'd help, I had NO idea she'd want or need that many.

I use my mom's recipe. For Pumpkin Roll Tirfle, I use a customer's copy for filling.

Either Way, YUMMO!!

You can also use wax paper in a microave. It doesn't melt. It just gets kinda....limp, I guess is what it would be.

Just wanted to let all of you know that you are very mean to post this discussion about yummy pumpkin rolls, yet no recipe. When I go to files and type in pumpkin roll, still no recipe! Now it's 430 in the morning and I am craving pumpkin rolls, and I don't even know what they are!!!!

It's on the inside of the label if you buy Libby canned pumpkin. Is there a pumpkin blight or something? I went to 2 stores tonight, and they were out of Libby's pumpkin. Hanh?
The recipe is probably on the Libby website, too....they have a good website.

Here's my mom's recipe........

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll Mom Frisbie

3 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar

Beat for 5 Minutes (Be specific with time)

add to above mixture:
2/3 Cup Pumpkin
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 to ¼ tsp. Pumpkin Spice
¾ Cup Flour

Mix Well.
Grease and line a Jelly Roll Pan with Waxed Paper, or parchment paper.
Spread cake evenly in pan and Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
While cake is baking on counter top or cooling rack, place a tea towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
When you remove cake from oven, turn upside down on tea towel sprinkled with powdered sugar, Remove Pan and Waxed paper and roll and let cool, approx. 2 hours.

Filling:
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese
4 TBLS. butter/margarine
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
1½ tsps. vanilla
Mix Well
Spread onto cooled cake, unroll, spread crm cheese mixture, re-roll and keep cool, can sprinkle with powdered sugar again to "look nice"!

Here's my recipe that I use for Pumpkin Roll Trifle, as the above filling it too thick for trifle.......

Pumpkin Roll Trifle
Mom Frisbie's Orig. Recipe tweaked using Darlene's filling recipe.

For Cake:
3 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar

Beat for 5 Minutes (Be specific with time)

Add to above mixture:
2/3 Cup Pumpkin
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 to ¼ tsp. Pumpkin Spice
¾ Cup Flour

Mix Well.
Grease and line a Jelly Roll Pan with Waxed Paper, or parchment paper.* I just put into my Stoneware Lg. Bar Pan, very seasoned, so I don't have to worry about it, if it wasn't I'd use some Pan-Eze before putting in cake.

Spread cake evenly in pan and Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

Let cake cool on cooling rack and loosen around edges.
Using Bread Knife (Serrated) we then cut it into Cubes.

Make Filling:
1 Cup Sugar
8 Oz Cream Cheese, softened
3 Cups Cool Whip – 8 Oz. Cool Whip

Take Cream Cheese and soften in Microwave in Classic Batter Bowl. Add other ingredients and mix together. Can be made ahead and chilled.

To assemble Trifle:
Take 1/3 of cake cubes and put into Trifle bowl.
Spread 1/3 of filling onto cake; drizzle with Caramel Ice Cream Topping
Sprinkle with Chopped Pecans (opt) - I left on side in Prep Bowl in case of allergies
and repeat until finished and top with Caramel topping.
You can also sprinkle with Sweet Cinnamon Sprinkles and/or Sweet Caramel Sprinkles.

Now I want to go and make one and start to eat it without hubby knowing I made one, lol.

Lisa

I know here the pumpkin filling is a seasonal thing so maybe the stores don't have them in yet! I think Wal-Mart sells it year round just not Publix (our grocery store)!

ShellBeach said:
It's on the inside of the label if you buy Libby canned pumpkin. Is there a pumpkin blight or something? I went to 2 stores tonight, and they were out of Libby's pumpkin. Hanh?
The recipe is probably on the Libby website, too....they have a good website.

PCMomto4 said:
I know here the pumpkin filling is a seasonal thing so maybe the stores don't have them in yet! I think Wal-Mart sells it year round just not Publix (our grocery store)!

Our store carries canned pumpkin all year round - but they always seem to run out around now, too. I guess it's a shock to them that people buy canned pumpkin this time of year - imagine that :rolleyes: And, really, it's a canned good - it's not like it has a short shelf life.

1. Is wax paper necessary for making a pumpkin roll?

No, wax paper is not necessary for making a pumpkin roll. It is often used to line the baking pan for easier removal, but parchment paper can also be used as a substitute.

2. Can I use aluminum foil instead of wax paper?

Yes, aluminum foil can also be used as a substitute for wax paper when making a pumpkin roll. Just make sure to grease the foil before pouring the batter onto it.

3. Can I skip lining the pan altogether?

While it is not necessary to line the pan, it is recommended to ensure easy removal of the pumpkin roll. If you do choose to skip lining the pan, make sure to grease it well before pouring the batter.

4. How do I prevent the pumpkin roll from sticking to the wax paper?

To prevent the pumpkin roll from sticking to the wax paper, make sure to grease the paper before pouring the batter onto it. You can also lightly dust the paper with flour before adding the batter.

5. Can I reuse the wax paper for multiple batches of pumpkin roll?

No, it is not recommended to reuse wax paper for multiple batches of pumpkin roll. The paper may become greasy or damaged, which can affect the texture and taste of the pumpkin roll. It is best to use a new sheet of wax paper for each batch.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lisa/ChefBear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Lisa/ChefBear
Replies
Views
mom2leelee
Replies
Views
chefann