• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Public Speaking Fears in Direct Sales | Tips & Advice

In summary, the conversation is about a consultant's fear of doing kitchen shows and seeking advice and encouragement from other consultants. One suggestion is to start with familiar and comfortable people for the first few shows. Another is to stick to one recipe for the first month to minimize stress. It is also recommended to approach the fear head on and to learn from the Pampered Chef in terms of business skills. Consistency and self-evaluation are also important for improvement. The conversation ends with encouragement to not give up and to gradually move out of one's comfort zone.
chatnoir5638
Hi all. I am in the beginning of my second starter month and have a terrible fear of kitchen shows!

I am not a shy person, but I recently gave a speech for a business plan competition I was in (PC is a side biz to help fund my biz...I am starting another biz altogether) and although I did well, I was terrified to be speaking in front of everyone. I have been himming and hawing over my first month (I couldn't get up the nerve to give any shows) and I am really terrified of continuing on with PC.

I think I will just focus on doing catalog shows until I get up the nerve to do kitchen shows. I would love to just host shows instead of be a consultant, but I guess I can't.

Does anyone have any pointers, advice, etc for me? :( :(

You need to start your first few shows with people you feel comfortable with....friends and family. Make your first show with people you feel the most comfortable. After you get the first one down, branch out to extended friends or ask your friends to bring someone you don't know to the show.

Stick to one recipe for your first month. That way you are not having to do a new recipe each time and there is not as much to stress over...you've done it a few times.

Slow down....breath....have FUN! Laugh at yourself! None of us are PERFECT and NEVER will be! That is not the point of doing this. ENJOY!

Think of it like you would learning a new song on the radio. At first you don't know the words, but if you keep practicing and trying you eventually are singing along. It is the same. :)

The best way to get over the fear of doing Kitchen Shows is to do Kitchen Shows. I totally know what you are going through...when I was a Quality Administrator at an aerospace company, I had to speak in front of the whole company sometimes and I would get so sick to my stomach and sweaty palms, the whole bit! I got pregnant and really wanted to stay home, but also needed adult interaction, so I started with PC. I even told my director that I was going to approach my fear w/ some PC therapy! At first, I would script out what I was going to say, etc. But, once I got a consistent show schedule, I realized that I was actually having fun and can now ad-lib (which is something I've always wanted to be able to do).

If you are going to start your own business, learn all that you can from the Pampered Chef: networking, organizational skills, communication skills, time management, etc. As they say, "you are in business for yourself, but not by yourself". Stick with it!

Schedule Kitchen Shows- and try to not have so much time in between them b/c consistency helps! And after each show, evaluate yourself: how did your presentation go? What worked in terms of getting the guests plugged into you? How were your sales in relation to your presentation (they'll buy what you show)? Take these answers and improve yourself. It's a great way to challenge yourself.

Good luck, don't give up!!!

EncouragementDon't be discouraged - we all have fears of some sort that we have to get over. I encourage you to start slowly. Maybe, since you like to host shows yourself, have your closest family and friends over for an informal kitchen show. Once you get the first one out of the way you will feel so releaved! :eek: As you continue to do shows, the best thing you can do is get to know everyone as much as possible before the show. It will make you feel more relaxed and it will also give you connections with the guests so that they feel like they know you better. Kind of like family!

I myself love the spotlight but whether you love it or hate it I think the easiest thing to do is to be comfortable. Having a show at home with YOUR friends and family is something on your turf and your territory. Gradually move out of that and eventually it won't be an issue at all. Remember - you always know at least 1 person at the show (the host) so you're never walking into a room of strangers.

I consider a Kitchen Show a success if at least 1 time throughout the night someone goes "Ohhh..I didn't know that!" I love to teach new things and to be taught. The biggest misconception it seems that people have is that we are sales people. We are not...we are Consultants. Most of us think of sales people and think pushy and aggrivating but we think of Consultants as trained and experts in what they know. It is our job just to show people what the Pampered Chef has to offer - we provide a service not a sales pitch so there's no pressure.

I always tell my Consultants that you will leave a show thinking 2 things. No matter what, you will leave and think "I can't believe I did that"...personally I almost left eggs out of mini quiches once...and "I can't believe I forgot to talk about that"...I actually forgot to talk about stoneware once. Blonde moment! So basically if I can get up and do this and act this crazy - so can you :p

Just relax and have fun - you can do it!! :p

I have to disagree with Ginger on this one (sorry!! :))
I HATED my first show!! My mother hosted it, and I was a nervous WRECK because these people KNEW me!! Since then I've done shows for another friends, but they get a group of people that I don't know, so the friend is the only familiar face in the crowd. I would MUCH rather give a show for someone I have never met before than sit in a room with my family and try it!
That's just me, but I guess it's the fact that my family KNOWS me, and KNOWS I don't have a great track record of cooking...I feel it's a TON easier with strangers!

you can do itI kind of agree with both pamperedginger and pamperedyourkitchen, but on top of what they said, I think that you must dress with something that you feel GREAT and CONFIDANT about yourself, doesn't matter if you are doing phone calls for booking or actually doing a kitchen, the way you dress reflect how you feel. If you make phone calls dress in your pj and and you look like you had just get out of bed it WILL reflect in your voice.
Also, what you believe you can achive, I would say fact it until YOU get it, those people don't know that you don't know and you always know more then them.
put on paper what you want to say and read it after couple show you will feel a lot better.

Different people... different thoughtsI'm kind of with pamperyourkitchen on this one! :)

My first few shows were for my friends and they brought in a lot of people that I didn't know. They were great shows and I had such a fabulous time! Each of those shows were $600 + shows and I left feeling amazing.

Then I think my fourth show was for my mom and she invited only family. I was so nervous and it showed. I didn't do well at all, and the show closed at $350. I wish I could do that show over again, only because I know things now and have icebreakers that make me feel more at ease too.

The great thing is that at some point you're going to find what really works for you. Yeah, it might take a couple of shows under your belt, but let the guests know that you're new and they'll be kind.

Good luck!

1. How can I overcome my fear of public speaking in direct sales?

One effective way to overcome your fear of public speaking in direct sales is to practice beforehand. Write down a script or outline of what you want to say, and then rehearse it in front of a mirror or with a friend. This will help boost your confidence and make you feel more prepared for the actual presentation.

2. What are some tips for delivering a successful public speaking presentation in direct sales?

First, make sure to know your audience and tailor your message to their needs and interests. Additionally, use visual aids such as product demonstrations or slides to keep your audience engaged. Be enthusiastic and passionate about your products, and don't be afraid to inject some humor into your presentation.

3. How can I calm my nerves before a public speaking event in direct sales?

Some techniques for calming your nerves before a public speaking event in direct sales include deep breathing, positive self-talk, and visualization. Remember to focus on your message and the value you are providing to your audience, rather than your fear or anxiety.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when delivering a public speaking presentation in direct sales?

One common mistake to avoid is talking too fast or too slow. Speak at a moderate pace and vary your tone and pitch to keep your audience engaged. It's also important to avoid reading directly from notes or slides, as this can make your presentation seem robotic. Instead, use notes as a guide and speak naturally.

5. How can I continue to improve my public speaking skills in direct sales?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your public speaking skills in direct sales. Seek feedback from your colleagues or mentors, and take note of areas where you can improve. Additionally, attend workshops or classes on public speaking or join a local Toastmasters club to gain more experience and confidence in front of an audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Bill Faber
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
Bill Faber
  • MHPampered
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • MHPampered