• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Lessons Learned: Don't Grab Hot Skillets with Bare Hands!

In summary, when you are making garlic bread bites and you pull them out of the oven and set them on the stove while you grab a plate to slide them out on, be careful not to forget the skillet just came out of the oven and grab it with your bare hand.
mountainmama74
Gold Member
Sooooooo...when you are making garlic bread bites and you pull them out of the oven and set them on the stove while you grab a plate to slide them out on....

Do NOT forget the skillet just came out of the oven and grab it with your bare hand!!

PAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

I have a perfect circle burned into the palm of my had from the end of the skillet.

What an idiot... :mad:

After not one, but TWO instances of that happening, I now put an oven mitt (PC of course!) on the handle as soon as I take it out of the oven so I don't forget again! That is one nasty burn!!! Hope your hand feels better soon!!!

Haha! I had used the oven mitt to take it OUT of the oven, and then stupidly hung it up while I got the plate.

Yeah...it HURTS!! I iced it right away and it hasn't blistered, so maybe that means it's not as bad as it feels!

I call that the "cookware for dummies" section of my cookware spiel...and I own up to knowing it by experience!

Been there, done that. OUCH!!! :grumpy: Hopefully it won't blister since you iced it right away.

I've done that, too!!! Proves that dropping the pan doesn't damage the pan. If they have Walgreens where you live (the 24 hour kind!) go get something called "Burn Stuff". It'll stop the pain. When I grabbed my pan, I felt like I had a hot iron on it for 3 hours..until I went to the store and got the Burn Stuff.

Unfortunately I've done the same thing. It only took once for me to start leaving a hot pad on the handle when I take it out of the oven.

Yeah, I'll definitely do that from now on!

It's still not blistered - just a nice circle on my hand. Oy!

Yup, guilty here too!

Also, if you grab it with a potholder, but put the pot holder to low on the handle you will still end up with a burn! I actaully burnt my arm at a show last Saturday.

pamperedpartridge said:
Also, if you grab it with a potholder, but put the pot holder to low on the handle you will still end up with a burn! I actaully burnt my arm at a show last Saturday.

Yuppers...that why I use an oven mitt instead of pad!!!

Yes, and when you use the Large Bar Pan in the oven, even though you took it out and it's been sitting on the counter for at least 10 minutes, and you tell yourself, as you're reaching over to remove the bacon, not to touch the edge because it's still going to be hot . . . listen to yourself, because it IS!!

I also did burned myself on the handle of the skillet, at a show, after telling everyone to be careful because, even though it stays cool on the stove, the handle gets hot in the oven. Just keep repeating "I'm The Pampered Chef not the perfect chef."

I feel your pain! And I have the scar to prove it. I had baked my son's birthday cake in the 12" skillet and as I was taking it out of the oven the end of the handle touched my arm. I almost dropped it but instead threw it on top of the stove. Luckily, I did not break the glass cook top.
I have since shrunk my oven mitts so they fit my hands better.

Hey, I do not miss the stoneware racks either, got burned by that too.

me too!
I have a cute little 1/2 over mitt that slips over the handle perfectly that I like to use with it. I personally don't hang my pans (but I know some people do), but I wish the whole handle was silicone covered! :)

Recently heard a tip that said anyone in the restaurant biz will tell you that yellow mustard is a staple in the kitchen for burns, that it takes the pain out of a burn immediately. My husband and I were in the restaurant biz for many years and never heard that, but when I got burned grabbing something in the kitchen recently (yes, it was a PC product - I joined that club many years ago!) I went for the mustard AND IT WORKS! I don't know why, I just know it does and I didn't get a blister, it was just red! I thought it might hurt later on after the "effect" wore off, but it never did.

Fortunately, I haven't done that but I have ALMOST done it! I always put the oven mitt over the handle of the pan as soon as I set it down and it stays there till it's time to wash it. My son & husband were doing all the cooking recently and they made something with a pan in the oven. I went up to the stove and put the mitt on it. My son said "that's not necessary, we all know it just came out of the oven". I told him that it's easy to 'forget' and he better not whine when he burns himself. lol

Yep, been there done that. LOVE the mitt-over-the-handle idea. Who knew?

CarolynnLee said:
Recently heard a tip that said anyone in the restaurant biz will tell you that yellow mustard is a staple in the kitchen for burns, that it takes the pain out of a burn immediately. My husband and I were in the restaurant biz for many years and never heard that, but when I got burned grabbing something in the kitchen recently (yes, it was a PC product - I joined that club many years ago!) I went for the mustard AND IT WORKS! I don't know why, I just know it does and I didn't get a blister, it was just red! I thought it might hurt later on after the "effect" wore off, but it never did.

Really?? Ohhhh I wish I had known this last night! I was looking around desperately for something to stop the pain and I didn't even have aloe!! I will commit this to memory for next time I burn myself...I'm sure it will happen at some point! LOL!

Thank you!

mountainmama74 said:
Really?? Ohhhh I wish I had known this last night! I was looking around desperately for something to stop the pain and I didn't even have aloe!! I will commit this to memory for next time I burn myself...I'm sure it will happen at some point! LOL!

Thank you!

My husband says to rub it against your ear. Something about the oils around your ear. It has worked for me a couple times.

CarolynnLee said:

I have never heard that! How interesting...I hope I don't burn myself, but if I do, I want to try that.:D

Hope you feel better. I did the SAME thing only with the large bar pan that just came out of the 400 degree oven...was afraid it was going to burn my tablecloth and i grabbed it with my hand at a show. Then I didn't want to show the pain so i suffered horribly...i paid twice for it because of not icing it made it worse.

Wishing you a speedy healing process.

I, too, have had a circle branded in the palm of my hand from the executive skillet handle. I have requested (more than once) a PC silicone sleeve to go over the handle. Maybe it will show up in the S/S catalog. Until then, I will use my Farberware silicone sleeve, which works quite well when I REMEMBER to use it! :eek:

CarolynnLee said:
Recently heard a tip that said anyone in the restaurant biz will tell you that yellow mustard is a staple in the kitchen for burns, that it takes the pain out of a burn immediately.

How funny...I always thought that the 'Burn stuff' looks like mustard!
Hmmmm....

lovescooking said:
I feel your pain! And I have the scar to prove it. I had baked my son's birthday cake in the 12" skillet and as I was taking it out of the oven the end of the handle touched my arm. I almost dropped it but instead threw it on top of the stove. Luckily, I did not break the glass cook top.
I have since shrunk my oven mitts so they fit my hands better.

Hey, I do not miss the stoneware racks either, got burned by that too.

I have a nice scar on my right forearm from inverting a cake onto a platter. The silver ring on end of handle hit my arm as I was flipping it. That was from August 2008!!!

I wish PC would sell a oven resistent sleeve for our cookware (caphalon does). I think it would be an automatic sale everytime someone bought a skillet.

I still have a slight scar from my 12" skillet three years ago. I remembered to use a mitt taking it out of the oven, but then forgot it was still HOT when I went to flip the 'cooled' cake.

This thread is so funny--here I thought I was the only one forgetful enough to touch the handle after the saute pan came out of the oven! Not once or twice, but three times--hopefully there will not be a fourth!

Gailz2, that's one of the things I love about CS. I get a chance to find out I'm not alone.

I have always touched my finger tips to my ear lobe when I burned them. I thought it was the heat transfering to your ear...maybe ti is the oils on the ear though. Interesting about the mustard too. I too belong to this little club, have burned my hand many a time after making the biscuit bites.

Yes me too!!!!!! And you want to drop it but smile instead... lol

1. Can I use a towel or oven mitt to grab a hot skillet?

Yes, it is highly recommended to use a towel or oven mitt to grab a hot skillet to protect your hands from burns.

2. How long should I wait before touching a hot skillet?

It is recommended to wait at least 5 minutes for the skillet to cool down before attempting to touch it with bare hands.

3. Can I put a hot skillet directly in cold water?

No, this can cause the skillet to warp or crack. It is best to let the skillet cool down before washing it with warm water.

4. Is it safe to touch the handle of a hot skillet with a potholder?

Yes, as long as the potholder is thick enough to protect your hands from the heat of the skillet.

5. What should I do if I accidentally grab a hot skillet with bare hands?

Immediately run your hands under cool running water for at least 10 minutes to help ease the pain and prevent further injury. If the burn is severe, seek medical attention.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• minersmix
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Addie4TLC
  • pamperedcheermom
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
jenniferlynne
  • RMDave