• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What are the Potential Dangers of Using Propellant in Cooking Sprays?

In summary, propellant in aerosols can cause foaming and build-up on cookware surfaces, which can damage the cookware.
chefsteph07
Does anyone use the line when selling the spritzer that cooking sprays like Pam have propellant in them? If so, what are the dangers of propellent so I can educate my guests when I promote the spritzer. I looked online, but couldn't really find what I was looking for to pertain to our subject.

I don't give the dangers of the propellant, although I do mention that the Aerosol in the cans will make your stones and non stick cookware stick because of the build-up...
I then follow up with why would you put added chemicals in your body instead of using natural oils like Vegetable and Olive oil which have some nutritional value...
hope that helps.

I'm with Ish. I talk about the gooey yuck that is nearly impossible to remove from your bakeware.

I talk about the harm to the earth (Go Green!) with Pam and others, I also talk about the economic value of using our spritzers... I talk about buying a big jug of olive oil and canola oil from Sam's Club and then just refil, save a ton of $$$ and save the universe! That always gets a lot of people nodding their heads and I usually sell at least one or 2 if not more.

Those are great ideas, thanks, I didn't even THINK about what they do to the stones! And going green is great too...thanks again!

The additives in sprays are usually lecithin, which isn't a bad chemical - it's a vitamin. So it isn't bad for you. But it will build up on stones and other bakeware - especially on the areas that don't have food on them (like the areas between the cups on the MMP). Because it's not a dangerous additive, most people don't even think about it.

Dh kept wanting to use some cooking spray on one of my metal sheet pans. I have 4 of them so I let him use one of the original "recalled" ones a couple times using it. After it got all gummed up, I showed him what it did and that I was telling the truth! That is now his pan to do what he wants with! :) I have joked about comparing it the bug spray!

I talk about the goo and saving money and avoiding chemicals you don't need. But I don't dwell on the goo issue. When somebody tried to tell me not to use pam on COOKWARE for that reason, I though they were nuts. Stoneware is one thing ... but cookware?

Yes- it will build up on the areas that don't have food on them (like the sides of the pan when all you're making is grilled cheese). And it's hard to control getting it all over because of overspray.

Wow!! I didn't know that about the cookware.

Yeah, I have heard that you should never use Pam on non-stick cookware because of the gooey build-up.. I've heard it can actually ruin non-stick cookware over time. Who knew?

By the way, I have heard that Pam is good to spray over cast iron & I have been coating mine in Pam after each use... Has anyone else had any experience with Pam & cast iron? Thanks!

chefsteph07 said:
Does anyone use the line when selling the spritzer that cooking sprays like Pam have propellant in them? If so, what are the dangers of propellent so I can educate my guests when I promote the spritzer. I looked online, but couldn't really find what I was looking for to pertain to our subject.

Does this help, Steph? I guess I would just tell them they can propell their oil with something natural (i.e: Air) or with a chemical...

QUESTION: Are there any safety issues with nonstick cooking sprays? What is the propellant used and how do the sprays work? I rely on these sprays when I stir-fry vegetables or roast a chicken. Is this practice as healthful as it is made out to be? My daughter has advised me that these products rely on dangerous substances and that I should only use olive oil.

O.F., Jacksonville, Fla.

Advertisement ANSWER: Aerosol cooking sprays contain a vegetable oil, such as corn, soy, canola or olive oil, plus lecithin, an ingredient from soybeans traditionally used to keep oil and water in solution together, and a propellant.
The sprays keep food from sticking by forming a thin oil-lecithin film between the cooking surface and the food. Very small amounts of a silicone compound and some alcohol also may be present to prevent foaming and facilitate the formation of the nonstick film.

Because the sprays use a minimum amount of oil, little fat is contributed to the meal. A one-second application – an amount sufficient to cover a 10-inch skillet – will contain less than 1 gram of fat.

Interestingly, the Nutrition Facts labels on many of these spray products have a “recommended serving” of a third of a second or less. This translates to less than half of a gram of fat per serving, allowing the company to label the product as “fat-free” according to the labeling law.

The ingredients should be clearly stated on the container so you can opt for a product that contains no more than the basic components.

If there is a safety issue with the ingredients, it would come from the fact that aerosol sprays require a compressed gas for a propellant. Some make use of a hydrocarbon such as propane or iso-butane. This brings up a safety concern, as hydrocarbon gases can be highly flammable. Such sprays should only be used on cold surfaces and kept away from flames.

If a flammable hydrocarbon gas is used, there should be an appropriate warning to this effect on the ingredient statement. You may be able to find a product that does not rely on a flammable hydrocarbon gas propellant.

Shake the can well before using, as the ingredients need to be thoroughly mixed to work properly.

An oft-ignored drawback from the use of these products is the waste contributed by the empty aerosol can. There are refillable pump sprays that limit this waste, but the high pressure of the aerosol is what helps the spray to work. If you go the homemade pump-spray route, you may have to experiment with oils, staying away from unfiltered oils with particulate matter that might clog the nozzle.

What is propellant in cooking spray?

Propellant is a gas that is used to dispense the cooking oil from the can. It helps to create pressure inside the can, allowing the oil to be sprayed out in a fine mist.

Is propellant safe to use in cooking spray?

Yes, propellant is safe to use in cooking spray. It is a food-grade gas that is approved by the FDA for use in food products.

What types of propellant are used in cooking spray?

The most commonly used propellants in cooking spray are propane, butane, and isobutane. These are all odorless, colorless, and non-toxic gases.

Can propellant affect the taste of food?

No, propellant does not affect the taste of food. It is completely odorless and tasteless, so it will not alter the flavor of your dishes.

Why is propellant necessary in cooking spray?

Propellant is necessary in cooking spray because it helps to evenly distribute the oil onto the surface of the food. It also allows for a controlled and fine mist, which helps to reduce the amount of oil used in cooking.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• D_Patel
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
dawn424383
  • ChefMommyof3Boys
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Pamperedatlast